Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Take a Look at the Park Signs That Have Gun Rights Advocates Ready to Sue a North Carolina City

Posted by   + Show Post

Take a Look at the Park Signs That Have Gun Rights Advocates Ready to Sue a North Carolina City

A gun rights group in North Carolina is threatening to sue the city of Raleigh if it doesn’t update its signs posted in city parks.

Why are they upset? Because the signs warn visitors that carrying concealed or displayed firearms is “prohibited by law,” which isn’t true anymore. State law now lets concealed carry permit holders to bring guns to playgrounds, greenways and college campuses, the News Observer reports.

Credit: COLIN CAMPBELL — News Observer

The gun rights group, Grass Roots North Carolina, sent a letter to the Raleigh City Council this week asking that the signs be updated to reflect the new law. However, Diane Sauer, the city parks director, reportedly told the group that it would cost too much money to replace all the signs posted in the city’s parks. She also argued that lawmakers might change the law again.

“As signs are replaced (age or damage) or new signs are added, we will include updated information,” she wrote.

Grass Roots North Carolina President Paul Valone called the city’s response “disingenuous” and said officials could just take the signs down.

City Attorney Tom McCormick did confirm that even if the signs stay up, the city will not enforce any of the gun laws that were recently struck down by the North Carolina Legislature.

Grass Roots North Carolina is giving the city give business days to respond favorably to its letter or the group will begin pursuing legal action. The letter was sent on Sunday — meaning time is up.

“My message to Raleigh is, you will lose, and it will cost you money,” he said.

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-17):
Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Why not just take the signs down? 

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

No, crazy people should not have guns. Neither should criminals, and yet gun control doesn't seem to stop it. I wonder why that is. 

If people have a concealed carry permit you don't see the gun they are carrying because it is concealed. If you can see it, they are in violation of their permit unless there is also an open carry provision. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

People with guns don't always stop a mass shooting. If that happened I'd be mad at the shooter. Crazy people should not have guns.

I see guns around all the time. I make sure to stay clear of people who are carrying. 

Quoting DSamuels:

Well let's see. Gun free zones are where most mass shootings happen, because the gunman doesn't have to fear anyone there is armed. I guess if your child was at a playground when a gunman attacked you'd be mad at anyone there who had a gun to defend themselves and others. 

If you live in a state with concealed carry allowed, you're probably amidst guns all the time and don't even know it.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I'm sorry why do you need your guns at playgrounds and colleges?

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don't care what they have. I don't want it by my children.

Quoting DSamuels:

No, crazy people should not have guns. Neither should criminals, and yet gun control doesn't seem to stop it. I wonder why that is. 

If people have a concealed carry permit you don't see the gun they are carrying because it is concealed. If you can see it, they are in violation of their permit unless there is also an open carry provision. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

People with guns don't always stop a mass shooting. If that happened I'd be mad at the shooter. Crazy people should not have guns.

I see guns around all the time. I make sure to stay clear of people who are carrying. 

Quoting DSamuels:

Well let's see. Gun free zones are where most mass shootings happen, because the gunman doesn't have to fear anyone there is armed. I guess if your child was at a playground when a gunman attacked you'd be mad at anyone there who had a gun to defend themselves and others. 

If you live in a state with concealed carry allowed, you're probably amidst guns all the time and don't even know it.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

It just takes one incident where a child gets ahold of the gun and well..you know how the story goes..

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do guns prevent those things from happening? No.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Like people don't get kidnapped, raped, and/or murdered in parks, playgrounds, or college?..

No..but one should be able to defend themselves and/or protect their family/bystanders if something occurs.

That's why people should superivse their kids while target practicing..etc.  You shouldn't let kids just "have" guns or be able to "get" guns..  That's why guns should be under lock and key..

kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I've yet to see someone who is out and about CCing ever take their gun out and just leave it where a kid would get it.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

It just takes one incident where a child gets ahold of the gun and well..you know how the story goes..

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do guns prevent those things from happening? No.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Like people don't get kidnapped, raped, and/or murdered in parks, playgrounds, or college?..

No..but one should be able to defend themselves and/or protect their family/bystanders if something occurs.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My new firearm (about a week old). I will OC until I get my CC permit. What was the first thing I did when I brought it home? I went over gun safety with all my children, again. It is important that children understand proper gun safety. People who carry are doing so because they want to have protection. I don't live in a dangerous area. However, lately it seems more people are doing bad things. Sometimes adults, sometimes kids, sometimes those in positions if authority. People don't generally chose where or when they are raped or robbed. I can at least do my best to protect myself.

As for the OP, if they won't change it, then someone needs to remove the signs for them.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Sorry for the misspelled words. I've had trouble typing lately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)