Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Stereotypes:Black Shoppers At Macys And Barneys Profiled By Security Speak Out

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:57 AM
  • 23 Replies

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/nyregion/black-shoppers-at-barneys-and-macys-say-they-were-profiled-by-security.html?_r=0

http://hellobeautiful.com/2013/10/24/barneys-black-woman-2500-celine-bag/

Are Black shoppers simply sensitive?

Are prejudiced white workers over-reacting to stereotypes of minorities in the media?

Or do statistics of those stopped by security at high end sores show a profiling pattern of facts against black shoppers?

Have you yourself as a black person or white person been frequently harassed while shopping?What has been your experiences or thoughts on this topic if any?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM
5 moms liked this

Don't really care. If I see Rev Sharpton in the pic then I KNOW that this is only a publicity stunt.

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I'm sure it has happened.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I would hope so.

If I am loitering in the Jheri Curl Aisle - I would hope that someone was looking at me with a juandiced eye.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

When you have more black on white crime as of late..GO TO MACYS..create a racist scenerio.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Of Course.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

When you have more black on white crime as of late..GO TO MACYS..create a racist scenerio.

JustCJ
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Bwahahahahahaha oh billie.

They're just doing this because it's a white store. I am SURE black shop keepers keep an eye on them too. Sad fact of life...work on the community *shrug*

Quoting Billiejeens:

I would hope so.

If I am loitering in the Jheri Curl Aisle - I would hope that someone was looking at me with a juandiced eye.

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Never happened to me, but a friend of mine, who is white, was recently accused of shoplifting and she was seriously pissed. They never did tell her why they thought she may have been shoplifting...

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes if you look like you do not belong then you will get more negative attention.  Race?  But perceived class is important. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM

as a teen ive been followed, had my schoolbag searched, been kicked out,  been asked for receipts outside of the store  have been told that their are plenty of mc stores i should shop at (im obviously irish). i've never stolen from a store in my life. a year ago i was followed by security around a 5&below with my mom and sister .

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

I would hope so.

oh Billie you crack me up! you have to be a hoot irl-lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)