Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Did President Obama Mislead Americans About the Affordable Care Act?

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

Did President Obama Mislead Americans About the Affordable Care Act?

by Jenny Erikson

Remember back when President Obama promised us that if we liked our health care plan, we could keep our health care plan? Well, he better check his pants, because there’s a good chance they’re on fire, as millions of Americans are about to lose their health insurance.

Repeatedly over the last several years, President Obama has reassured worried Americans that if they were happy with their health care plans, they’d be able to keep them. I guess what he really meant to say was, “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan … so long as it meets all the stringent requirements that I decide are necessary, and you’re willing to pay the skyrocketing premiums.”

Now four sources intimately involved in Obamacare (AKA the Affordable Care Act) say that Obama knew in July of 2010 that 50 to 75 percent of the 14 million consumers who buy individual health insurance policies can expect a cancellation letter in the next year thanks to new regulations. One expert puts that number as high as 80 percent.

Whoops. You’re not supposed to get caught lying when you’re the president. It’s just bad form.

Of course the spin-doctors are hard at work claiming that Obama didn’t lie, because he really meant that if you have an adequate plan, you’d be able to keep it. You know, because your average, healthy, 30-year-old male needs coverage for his monthly prescription of birth control pills. Or something.

More from The Stir: Obamacare Girl Vanishes From Site ... But Where Did She Go?

Look, a lot of people are were very happy paying lower premiums, even if it meant higher deductibles and more out-of-pocket costs. They’re relatively healthy and don’t need a lot of medical attention. They bought insurance in case something bad were to happen, like they got hit by a Budweiser truck filled of beer, or got gored by a bull or something. Or you know, came down with a freak case of cancer or other life-threatening illness that healthy people don’t expect to get.

That’s what insurance is for. It’s insurance. It’s not your fairy godmother. There is no magic wand to wave to magically make doctors want to work for free, and no amount of making people buy something they don’t want is going to make America better.

That’s what’s happening here. If the president thinks he’s smarter than you, than fine. Come out and say, “Your health insurance isn’t good enough, so I think you should have to buy a better plan.” What’s next? Is your car safe enough? Is skiing the double black diamonds too dangerous? Are you drinking too much soda? Oh wait, the soda thing is already happening.

It’s a dangerous game to play when the government decides what’s best for you. It’s even more dangerous when the president knowingly lies about his motives.

How much have your health care premiums gone up since Obamacare went into law?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM
6 moms liked this
He misled those who voted for him. So, the majority of American voters? Appears they may have fallen for the snake oils salesman that is Obama.
The bigger the problem? The idiots out there who still defend Obama and his admin.
jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

This is a joke thread, yes?

cammibear
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM
4 moms liked this
Our premiums have gone up, but I don't know if Obamacare is to blame. We have group insurance, but will probably lose it within the next year. We enjoy our HSA account, but its getting to where I cannot spend my health money on what I feel is important for my health (vitamins, OTC meds, gym, etc). I do not go to the doctor unless I have an obvious bacterial infection that needs antibiotics, and I cannot even remember the last time that was necessary.

Concerning Obama...he is a LIAR. Plain and simple. And I think the trouble they are having with the website was intentional, to hide the embarrassing lack of numbers of people who are signing up for the ACA.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM

25% increase here - not through employer - through me -

Based on previous years increases -20% due to Obamacare.

Quoting cammibear:

Our premiums have gone up, but I don't know if Obamacare is to blame. We have group insurance, but will probably lose it within the next year. We enjoy our HSA account, but its getting to where I cannot spend my health money on what I feel is important for my health (vitamins, OTC meds, gym, etc). I do not go to the doctor unless I have an obvious bacterial infection that needs antibiotics, and I cannot even remember the last time that was necessary.

Concerning Obama...he is a LIAR. Plain and simple. And I think the trouble they are having with the website was intentional, to hide the embarrassing lack of numbers of people who are signing up for the ACA.

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

"Whoops. You’re not supposed to get caught lying when you’re the president. It’s just bad form."

Really?
Seems like it it's per usual. 

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Our insurance goes up every year.  It has not increased significantly, due to the ACA.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting cammibear:

I agree + the admin's intentions are leading to single payer. Push out private sector ins. to make way for gov't controlled insurance. Free market & competition unacceptable to Obama & his advisors. 

cammibear
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this
It's no secret single payer is the objective. I hope it backfires. Surely people are seeing how incompetent government controlling anything is. Healthcare completely controlled by the govt would be a nightmare.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting cammibear:

I agree + the admin's intentions are leading to single payer. Push out private sector ins. to make way for gov't controlled insurance. Free market & competition unacceptable to Obama & his advisors. 

susan115
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, he did.  All the those that work hard and have little time to actually sit down and take in more information.  So, many trusted the President.  He flat out lied and stated that it is what the people wanted.  Liberals don't trust the average Joe to think.  This is a shame. Again, that is why Republicans are the adults in the room, they tell the truth. They let you choose. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN