Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

House Republicans Skip Obamacare Briefing They Furiously Demanded

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

For all their fury, most of the House Republicans who had demanded their own closed-door briefing from the administration on President Barack Obama's struggling health care rollout were no-shows on Wednesday.

Rep. John Fleming (R-La.) told reporters that "about 20 members" attended the House GOP briefing, at which senior Health and Human Services Department official Mike Hash laid out some of the issues facing the Healthcare.gov website.

The meeting was scheduled after House Republicans cried foul when they weren't included in last week's closed-door session with Democrats. The White House said Democrats had requested the briefing, but Brendan Buck, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), deemed the snub "all the more offensive after [HHS] Secretary Sebelius declined to testify" at a House committee hearing last Thursday on Obamacare.

Sebelius was unable to attend last week's hearing because she was traveling in Phoenix at the time, although several of the top contractors for the Healthcare.gov website did appear. The secretary testified at a subsequent hearing this Wednesday morning, during which she apologized for the problems that have plagued the website and enrollment process and accepted the blame.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said House Republicans' need to receive their own briefing had become less compelling once Sebelius was set to testify and field questions from members of Congress.

"At the time the briefing was scheduled, Secretary Sebelius was refusing to testify openly at a Congressional committee," Steel told The Huffington Post in an email. "Given her testimony today, and the CMS [Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services] administrator’s yesterday, the situation had changed."

It's unclear if the private briefing would have offered Republicans information beyond that Sebelius provided the House Energy and Commerce Committee, but it would have been an opportunity for all GOP members, rather than just those on the committee, to pose questions to administration officials. Officials also tend to be more forthcoming with details behind closed doors.

The office of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) seized on the poorly attended GOP briefing. "Fortunately for House Republicans, extreme bouts of self-righteous indignation ar

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/house-republicans-obamacare-briefing_n_4178762.html?ref=topbar

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Quote: outlandish

Why would Republicans turn up at a closed door meeting, they need the limelight and the media to grandstand in front of and they have a captive audience who are used to all of the hyperbole and disinformation they spin whenever a camera is on.

They made hay out of the alleged slight at not being invited to a closed door meeting requested by Democrats only and petulantly pronounced that there was something to hide, when in fact it was what they would hear that turned them off.

They are unable to run a hearing without it being an inquisition and can’t even get their P.R. right.

Kathleen Sibelius turned up at a hearing on the day she could as she was otherwise occupied on their turn up now demand and after the disingenuous cross examination she receive right down to being talking pointed over while she was answering was pure political showmanship by the always dishonest Marcia Blackburn, the human Republican talking point generator.

Marcia speaks pure bumper sticker and didn’t allow Kathleen to answer and any thinking person could see that she didn’t want answers, she wanted to be noticed.

Congress is turning into a parody of what should be governance as Republicans are now fretting over a difficult roll out of the ACA website, anything to tarnish the act before they lose it as a talking point when people finally have a chance to judge it for themselves, away from the media and Republican histrionics that have drowned out even a semblance of truth.

It has all come down to Republicans being so heavily invested in the narrative they’ve sold for 4 years crashing up against reality and the fear is that left to their own devises people will choose reality.

Republicans are desperately looking for anything to keep their party relevant, right down to the semantics of a glitch prone website, while state websites are working well and people are signing up.

If Republicans are so sure that the ACA will prove to be unpopular, why are they so determined to seize every point to thwart it? They have polling figures in the low 20s and if the ACA is as bad as they keep saying it is then why not just wait for the fallout and capitalize when it happens?

The answer is becoming more obvious as the hyperventilating keeps rising and that is they fear the success of the ACA and the final realization by the public that Republicans are selling the public on a bill of goods with nothing to deliver. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Is anyone really surprised by this? This is more or less how this house  tends to work. I am hopig the voters really clean house next elections, new bodies are desperatey needed if we hope to get anything actually accomplished any time soon.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Come on, Celestial, think this through logically.

You seriously think 20 Republicans grilling Kathleen Sebelius aren't enough?  Remember, she's your girl! You really think 231 are needed?

There IS other work of the House to be done.

To do otherwise would be overkill.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

You seriously think 20 Republicans grilling Kathleen Sebelius aren't enough?  Remember, she's your girl! You really think 231 are needed?

So some of the Repubs showed up??  The way she was carrying on, I thought that NONE of them showed up.  But there were 20 that showed.  Not a bad number of them....  so, they were there, got the memos and now they can share with their colleagues.  Isn't that how it works?  (Or did every single dem go to the dem briefing last week?)

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM

It's the big Deflect and Distract strategy.

This is the exact same investigation where Kathleen Sibelius was at and was grilled.

But the Dems spin it to, "OMG - ONLY 20 Republicans showed up to the meeting??"

Good Lord.

Judy Judy rolls eyes gif Imgur

Quoting 29again:

Quoting SallyMJ:

So some of the Repubs showed up??  The way she was carrying on, I thought that NONE of them showed up.  But there were 20 that showed.  Not a bad number of them....  so, they were there, got the memos and now they can share with their colleagues.  Isn't that how it works?  (Or did every single dem go to the dem briefing last week?)

Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:21 AM
What's funny is the Dems had a closed secret meeting the week before. I bet the majority of Reps would have been there.
I'm pretty sure I want to pull my hair out every time I hear the word 'obamacare' or 'aca'

Quoting 29again:

Quoting SallyMJ:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:32 AM
1 mom liked this

"ACA" is the sound you make when you gag. 

throwing up

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

What's funny is the Dems had a closed secret meeting the week before. I bet the majority of Reps would have been there.
I'm pretty sure I want to pull my hair out every time I hear the word 'obamacare' or 'aca'

Quoting 29again:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
If I threw up everytime I read the three letters, ACA, I'd be skinny by my vacation in December... Lol

Quoting SallyMJ:

"ACA" is the sound you make when you gag. 

throwing up

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN