Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

CNN: Sebelius falsely claimed she's not eligible for Obamacare

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

Under intense grilling from two Republican Representatives, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius claimed that it would be "illegal" for her to get insurance through the ObamaCare exchanges. Her claim is that, since she is eligible for insurance through her federal employer, she cannot opt-out of that insurance to sign on to ObamaCare. As CNN points out, that is simply false:

Sebelius is actually legally allowed to get insurance over the exchange but she would have to forego the employer contribution to her premiums.

In the Federal Employee Health Benefits Plan, that employer contribution accounts for a majority of her premiums. In order to get a private health insurance plan through Obamacare, Sebelius would have to pass up what surely amounts to more than $10,000 in annual compensation.

It is not unreasonable to request that the architect of the ObamaCare exchange submit herself to her own creation.

Are we supposed to believe that the creator of ObamaCare is unaware of the fact that she could join the rest of us in these exchanges, if she wanted to? And if she is not aware, is that not worse?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM
5 moms liked this

she needs to lead by example and enroll herself and show us how it's done.

Or is she one of those Progressives that are "Do as I say, not as I do" types.  (like Al Gore)

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

"Thou shalt reduce thy carbon footprint!" says Al Gore, as he steps out of his private airplane, and heads back to his palacial, multimillion dollar cabin in the proverbial woods.

Quoting erika9009:

she needs to lead by example and enroll herself and show us how it's done.

Or is she one of those Progressives that are "Do as I say, not as I do" types.  (like Al Gore)

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM
If shes 64 yrs old, no she cant. Theres not even an option for people in that age group. Why? Because they would be eligible for Medicare. Like 80 percent of congress
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Looked it up. Shes 65, shes right, she is not eligible.

simple
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Of course she's going to give this excuse. Sebelius' high paid lawyer whispered this in her ear when the question was directed to Sebelius @ the hearing yesterday. As another poster said...do as I say, not as I do. Another 'H' should be added to WH for hypocrisy while Obama, Sebelius & his admin are temporarily present for the remaining 3 yrs.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM
4 moms liked this
Whether she's exempt because of age or not..OBAMA is NOT 65..and he's the one who wanted this DANG plan...why is he exempt from it by his own insistence?
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Whether she's exempt because of age or not..OBAMA is NOT 65..and he's the one who wanted this DANG plan...why is he exempt from it by his own insistence?

Because he's too good for what the masses use.

eye rolling

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM
4 moms liked this

Then why is she using her employer provided insurance instead of Medicare?

Quoting -Celestial-:

Looked it up. Shes 65, shes right, she is not eligible.

simple

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Because he's too good for what the masses use.

eye rolling

I KEEP hearing how he's SO out of the loop..SO doesn't know what's going on..and YET...he exempted himself from HIS own ACA..  Got to love the irony on that one.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmmm.....
Do I believe Celeste or CNN......

Very tough call!

Quoting -Celestial-:

If shes 64 yrs old, no she cant. Theres not even an option for people in that age group. Why? Because they would be eligible for Medicare. Like 80 percent of congress
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN