Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Puff Puff Pass! Most Americans say OK to pot!

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 101 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think marijuana use should be legal?

Options:

yes

no

obligatory other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 46

View Results

Public opinion on pot legalization appears to have crossed a major threshold: For the first time, a Gallup poll found that a solid majority of American adults supports making marijuana legal.

Fifty-eight percent of Americans say the drug should be legal, according to Gallup's latest survey, compared with 39 percent who oppose legalization. The other 3 percent had no opinion.

When Gallup first asked about pot in 1969, only 12 percent favored marijuana legalization. That weed-backing minority grew to 28 percent by 1977 and then stagnated for two decades before starting to steadily pick up more supporters around the year 2000. [Trippy Tales: The History of 8 Hallucinogens

As far as Gallup's surveys go, public support for pot legalization hit a previous record high of 50 percent in 2011. Last year, 48 percent of Americans told the polling organization that they supported legalization.

Pot politics

Self-described Independents have driven the most recent changes in public opinion, with 62 percent now in favor of pot legalization, up from 50 percent in November last year. Democrats and Republicans remain divided on the issue; 65 percent of Democrats favor making marijuana legal, while just 35 percent of Republicans said the same.

Younger Americans, ages 18 to 29, are more likely to support legalizing pot than any other age group, with 67 percent in favor. Americans 65 and older are the only age group with a majority (53 percent) opposing pot legalization. 

Marijuana is currently legal for medical use in more than 15 U.S. states, including California, Arizona and Maine. Most patients need to obtain a prescription for the drug from their doctors and buy the drug from dispensaries.

Recreational marijuana sales, meanwhile, are set to begin in Colorado and Washington as early as January 2014 after both states passed ballot initiatives in 2012 to legalize weed. Earlier this year, the Department of Justice announced it would not challenge those laws, as long as the states follow strict sale and distribution rules.

The acceptance of marijuana use over the past four decades could be attributed to changing social mores, Gallup researchers said.

"The increasing prevalence of medical marijuana as a socially acceptable way to alleviate symptoms of diseases such as arthritis, and as a way to mitigate side effects of chemotherapy, may have also contributed to Americans' growing support," Gallup officials wrote, adding that the changing tide in public opinion on pot will likely spur further legalization measures.

The latest survey was conducted from Oct. 3 to 6, 2013, using phone interviews with a random sample of 1,028 adults, ages 18 and older, Gallup said.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

NOT THIS ONE!   I HATE IT.   IT HAS DESTROYED MY SONS LIFE.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL, I have a feeling something more than weed destroyed your sons life.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

:(  lots more ~ but pot has played a major role in it all.   addictions aren't trivial. 

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting Debrowsky:

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Marijuana isn't addictive.  That is a huge myth.  It is also not a gateway drug.  What other drugs did he get into?

Myth: Cannabis is highly addictive

Fact: Less than one percent of Americans smoke cannabis more than once per day. Of the heavy users, a tiny minority develop what appears to be a dependence and rely on the assistance of drug rehabilitation services to stop smoking but there is nothing in cannabis which causes physical dependence and the most likely explanation for those who need assistance is that they are having difficulty breaking the habit – not the “addiction”.

Sources:
1. Mellinger, G.D. et al. “Drug Use, Academic Performance, and Career Indecision: Longitudinal Data in Search of a Model.” Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. Ed. D.B. Kandel. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 1978. 157-177.
2. Johnson, L.D., et al. “Drugs and Delinquency: A Search for Causal Connections.” Ed. D.B. Kandel. Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. 137-156.
3. Schreiber, W.; A. M. Pauls and J. C. Kreig (February 5, 1988). “[Toxic psychosis as an acute manifestation of diphenhydramine poisoning]“. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift 113 (5): 180–183. PMID 3338401.
4. Degenhardt, Louisa, Wayne Hall and Michael Lynskey. “Testing hypotheses about the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 71 (2003): 42-4.
5. King LA, Carpentier C, Griffiths P. “Cannabis potency in Europe.” Addiction. 2005 Jul; 100(7):884-6
6. Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
7. Stephens, R.S., et al. “Adult marijuana users seeking treatment.” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61 (1993): 1100-1104.

Quoting Debrowsky:

:(  lots more ~ but pot has played a major role in it all.   addictions aren't trivial. 

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Marijuana isn't addictive.  That is a huge myth.  It is also not a gateway drug.  What other drugs did he get into?

Fact: Less than one percent of Americans smoke cannabis more than once per day. Of the heavy users, a tiny minority develop what appears to be a dependence and rely on the assistance of drug rehabilitation services to stop smoking but there is nothing in cannabis which causes physical dependence and the most likely explanation for those who need assistance is that they are having difficulty breaking the habit – not the “addiction”.

Sources:
1. Mellinger, G.D. et al. “Drug Use, Academic Performance, and Career Indecision: Longitudinal Data in Search of a Model.” Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. Ed. D.B. Kandel. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 1978. 157-177.
2. Johnson, L.D., et al. “Drugs and Delinquency: A Search for Causal Connections.” Ed. D.B. Kandel. Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. 137-156.
3. Schreiber, W.; A. M. Pauls and J. C. Kreig (February 5, 1988). “[Toxic psychosis as an acute manifestation of diphenhydramine poisoning]“. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift 113 (5): 180–183. PMID 3338401.
4. Degenhardt, Louisa, Wayne Hall and Michael Lynskey. “Testing hypotheses about the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 71 (2003): 42-4.
5. King LA, Carpentier C, Griffiths P. “Cannabis potency in Europe.” Addiction. 2005 Jul; 100(7):884-6
6. Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
7. Stephens, R.S., et al. “Adult marijuana users seeking treatment.” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61 (1993): 1100-1104.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting Debrowsky:

BULLSHIT!    any and all who turn to any drug for comfort and everyday usage is an ADDICT.   good grief, it's so simple it defies all common sense that anyone would say otherwise.   WOW!

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

No hun, sorry.  Addiction is a medical term meaning, "Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death."

http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction

So not everyone who turns to marijuana as a daily activity is an addict.  

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Sources:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting Debrowsky:

BULLSHIT!    any and all who turn to any drug for comfort and everyday usage is an ADDICT.   good grief, it's so simple it defies all common sense that anyone would say otherwise.   WOW!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I'm all for the legalization of MJ, especially for medical purposes.  I don't believe it's addictive and the only reason I have a problem with legalizing it for recreation is that so many people (like my ex)  would rather spend their last few dollars on a bag of pot than help pay the bills.  When used every now and then and responsibly, it's not a big deal.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I am curious as to why those who are responsible about their usage should be denied recreational use simply because of dirtbags like your ex?

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm all for the legalization of MJ, especially for medical purposes.  I don't believe it's addictive and the only reason I have a problem with legalizing it for recreation is that so many people (like my ex)  would rather spend their last few dollars on a bag of pot than help pay the bills.  When used every now and then and responsibly, it's not a big deal.

Donna6503
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
3 moms liked this
While, the physical addictive nature of pot is very low, the psychological addictive nature of pot is fairly common in many folks who partake in pot on a daily basis.

Still; with pot becoming more legalized, there is going to be an increase usage of pot and more of a societal acceptance of marijuana. Neither of which, will provide any social benefit in our country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

You are talking about the dopamine addiction known as hypofrontality.  This can be addiction to anything that gives the reward hormone dopamine.  

Marijuana iteself is not addictive.  It is way more benign that legal narcotics and alcohol.

Quoting Donna6503:

While, the physical addictive nature of pot is very low, the psychological addictive nature of pot is fairly common in many folks who partake in pot on a daily basis.

Still; with pot becoming more legalized, there is going to be an increase usage of pot and more of a societal acceptance of marijuana. Neither of which, will provide any social benefit in our country.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)