Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Eating cockroaches helps you live longer

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

If you saw an article in a serious news source (eg CNN or the BBC, not The Onion, or a random blogger's website) that linked to a study published in a reputable scientific journal, and claimed that the study says "Eating cockroaches helps you live longer", what would you do?

(A) Start eating cockroaches

(B) Ignore the study, because it contradicts what you believe to be true and common sense

(C) Pick a counter example "My Aunt Sally never ate cockroaches, and she lived to 103 years old, so it can't be true." and be satisfied with that, then ignore the study

(D) Google a blogger or news source you favour, that you are pretty sure will pour scorn upon the idea, just to check that they too disagree with the conclusion of the study - safety in numbers

(E) Dismiss the study on the grounds that it must have been funded by (leftie universities)/(heartless granny-selling corporations)/(delete as appropriate)

or

(F) Follow the link to the study, to see if it actually says what the non-science-educated headline-writing journalist claimed it said.

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM

(B) Ignore the study, because it contradicts what you believe to be true and common sense

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Back during World War II, what do you think people's initial reaction was to the idea that it would help injured soldiers live longer, if you injected them with mouldy bread?

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Back during World War II, what do you think people's initial reaction was to the idea that it would help injured soldiers live longer, if you injected them with mouldy bread?

the same?

I couldnt imagine living back then. I mean now I'd ignore it on a personal front but do research online and if it was conclusive i would support others. I'd probably feel the same way about the bread but it would have been harder to get info on it in the first place and I DOn't believe in just blindly following anyones orders without proper research.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
(F) Follow the link to the study, to see if it actually says what the non-science-educated headline-writing journalist claimed it said.

But I am a science nerd - my college degree was microbiology and I still keep up with the journals. Doesn't mean I will rush out and chomp away, just curious the methodology they used and results obtained. I also like to see what question they started with. For example, there was a study out of Europe that regaled the benefits of children picking their nose and eating the boogers. How that boosts immune system response making a child have stronger ability to fight off germs. As a germaphobe, that grossed me out - but the study made me think about children and expose and immune response. I am not as freaked anymore when my grandchildren visit and get dirt on them, or are playing outside and stick their finger in their mouth. Do I encourage people to pick their nose - no way! But I don't sweat the small stuff as much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Dont let the Republicans know that. They think taking food away will kill the poor faster. They may come up with a poison that may eradicate roaches, on second thought. Hmmm
JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

AND start eating dark chocolate covered roasted cockroaches. Hi protein, hi fiber, low carb. The future in Atkins protein bars.

"They taste like chicken.."

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I think it just seems like you're living longer if you eat cockroaches, because it is so disgusting...

survivorinohio
by Rene on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Then

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

None of the above.

I'm not eating cockroaches because it's disgusting.  If someone else wants to do it, totally fine by me.  I don't believe most of the 'studies' anymore.  Just wait 5 minutes and there will be another study that says the complete opposite.  Besides...I'm not worried about living longer.  I'm more worried about living free and happy for as long as that may be.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN