Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

He Didn’t Lie, It’s Just That The Words He Used In The Order He Used Them Didn’t Tell A Truth Per SE

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 16 Replies

This weekend, in an article titled “Insurance Policies Not Worth Keeping,” the New York Times gave Obama cover for his “you can keep your insurance” claim, saying that he merely “misspoke,” and that besides, the cancelled policies were no good but people were just too dumb to see it, and thankfully Obama knows better than you and also isn’t he dreamy.

From the Times:

Congressional Republicans have stoked consumer fears and confusion with charges that the health care reform law is causing insurers to cancel existing policies and will force many people to pay substantially higher premiums next year for coverage they don’t want. That, they say, violates President Obama’s pledge that if you like the insurance you have, you can keep it. Mr. Obama clearly misspoke when he said that. Ahh, doesn’t that feel better? It wasn’t a lie, it was a poor choice of words, and besides it is Republicans who are really mucking everything up, what with their questions and their directly quoting people all the time. The article goes into detail about why we’re all better off being misspoken to anyway.

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cammibear
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM
6 moms liked this
Lol If his lips are moving, they are lying.
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

He lied plain and simple and he knew at the time he was lying.  All I keep hearing is how substandard these policies were that are now being cancelled.  My BIL has one of the policies that are going away and it was affordable and met his needs.  I don't see how that was substandard.  The new policy he's being offered (to comply with the ACA) has a doubled premium and is no longer affordable.  Doesn't make any sense.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

It makes sense if you look at the end game.

Quoting 4kidz916:

He lied plain and simple and he knew at the time he was lying.  All I keep hearing is how substandard these policies were that are now being cancelled.  My BIL has one of the policies that are going away and it was affordable and met his needs.  I don't see how that was substandard.  The new policy he's being offered (to comply with the ACA) has a doubled premium and is no longer affordable.  Doesn't make any sense.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this
End game....single payer funded by nat'l sales (VAT) tax

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting 4kidz916:

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You're tight it does but all of these everyday  people that are defending Obama (not politicians that are in on the schemes) are buying into it all.  He didn't lie, the policies were substandard, everyone will be able to afford the ACA, etc, etc, and they have no clue what the end game is. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting 4kidz916:

TimandMely4ever
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My sister in law who is a single mom of three and makes less than 20,000/year was notified that because of ACA she will now have to pay an extra $435 EACH MONTH to keep her current status!  So much for "I'm for the little man, Obama"!!!!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I think a bunch of them do know what the end game is, and are all for it.

Quoting 4kidz916:

You're tight it does but all of these everyday  people that are defending Obama (not politicians that are in on the schemes) are buying into it all.  He didn't lie, the policies were substandard, everyone will be able to afford the ACA, etc, etc, and they have no clue what the end game is. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I don't know who you or her voted for - but elections have consequences, and no one is for the little man, nor should they be.

They should be for every man (one).

Quoting TimandMely4ever:

My sister in law who is a single mom of three and makes less than 20,000/year was notified that because of ACA she will now have to pay an extra $435 EACH MONTH to keep her current status!  So much for "I'm for the little man, Obama"!!!!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Quoting TimandMely4ever:

Sounds like she's in a similar situation to me. And because of where my income falls, I don't qualify for a subsidy. I'm stuck paying more and without help. And my state didn't expand medicaid. The lower income brackets should be getting the help and we can't qualify for a subsidy because we make too little. That makes no sense.
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Is she part time? A salary of $20,000 would be approximately $9.60 per hour. Is this an employer sponsored plan? If so, under ACA, an employer cannot charge an employee more than 9.5% of the employee's household income for the employee's portion of insurance.

So, 9.5% of $20,000 would be $1,900 or $158.33 per month is all that can be legally charged to your SIL for her portion of insurance by her employer. ($435 would be 26% of her annual salary)

Or is her plan an independent purchase through an insurance company?

Quoting TimandMely4ever:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)