Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How many here agree with this woman?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree with this woman?

Options:

yes

no

obligatory other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I like the contradicting views.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Don't agree with anyone here, including this annoying Young Turk.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with her quote at the beginning. If I want to make more money, I need to go out and do it and not just sit around and complain. People are responsible for their actions. Find a niche and make money with it! Go do it!
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

If only it were that easy.

Quoting kcangel63:

I agree with her quote at the beginning. If I want to make more money, I need to go out and do it and not just sit around and complain. People are responsible for their actions. Find a niche and make money with it! Go do it!

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
3 moms liked this

I do. Most people spend their entire lives complaining about what they don't have, wishing on some dream fortune to just land in their lap, etc. They complain ~ bitterly most days ~ about what they don't have, can't enjoy, and the people who have more (and if you ask them, most of the population has more). I've seen/heard/conversed with people in the US, in the living room of their 3 br 2b home with a pool out back, a tv in several rooms, closets bulging with clothes and 'things' they bought and didn't know what to do with (and still owe on), two or more cars in the driveway, a kitchen full of gadgets they had to have (so they could eat out most nights), etc. do nothing but complain about what they don't have.

If I ask them what they would do with all that money, they rattle off a list of things they would buy, places they would travel to see, the new car/s or boat they would drive, all the clothes and jewelry they would wear ... but, sigh, it will never happen. They don't see the waste and overindulgence in their current home. They label themselves 'poor' with NO understanding of the word (and that applies to those on fs who have a home with more than one room, a bathroom with running water, clothes, electricity, tvs, computers, video games, etc.). That is not poor ~ unless you want to talk about emotionally.

People who have all that and just can't afford food are not 'poor'. They have things they could sell to buy food, but they choose not to (because they deserve those things, they would have to buy them again and spend even more, no one should have to give up squat to eat, they need their money for school, etc.). They choose 'stuff' over food ... but they aren't poor.

A very few of these people have won a lottery, or inherited some money. Most of them have blown it in less than a year and are STILL miserable, complaining, and broke. That problem is of their own making. They don't understand that they are addicted to wanting, may not actually know what they want, or the most basic (and old fashioned but still true) premise that the only things worth 'having' are free.

I disagree with this man more than I agree with her. No one has to 'help' people work harder. Either a person has a good work ethic or they don't. Those who don't won't ever have a lot of money. Some who work hard will never have a lot of money for a whole lot of reasons ~ whether they just don't have any skills, can't live without drama and get fired all the time no matter how hard they work, spend more time dreaming than planning and saving, or what have you. These are all choices, and they aren't made just by people who start off with little. People born into money make the same bad choices. Some of them blow entire fortunes. Movie stars make it big ~ and then wander off into drugs, alcohol, and spend three times the amount they made and end up bankrupt and/or in jail.

Losing a job, a home, a car are setbacks to successful people, not the end of the world (and a reason to sit on their arse and complain until they die). Making just enough to pay the bills and eat is not 'poor' ~ even though a person may spend all their time wishing they could go buy one of everything in wallyworld.

There ARE poor people all around the globe, but many of them are far less miserable than the schmuck sitting in their 3br home surrounded by 'stuff'. There are people who have millions and live in a shack and are very content. Some people get it ~ the rest just 'want'.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Hard to say, since this Young Turk wouldn't even let her speak for herself, now would he?

You'd think on a 6 minute 39 second video of an ostensibly evil, obnoxious, rich woman, that they would have let the evil obnoxious rich woman demonstrate her evil obnoxiousness.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I know. If it was, I'd be rich! LOL

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

If only it were that easy.

Quoting kcangel63:

StephanieSH
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Money naturally begets more money. It's much more difficult to start with nothing and get rich.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I think her fallacy is simple.  If she had been a poor woman who worked hard to earn the money that she invested and doubled her earnings then she has plenty of room to speak about getting up and doing something.  But she didn't.  She was born into it and inherited it.  That simple.  The money was just given to her and she ran with it.  Good on her for being a good business woman but she needs to stop pretending that she did it on her own.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM
3 moms liked this

So? Does that mean she has nothing to say because of the accident of her birth?

Why do YOU say she is "pretending she did it on her own?" Sour grapes, perhaps? I don't hear you condemning all other people who have someone been blessed in their lives more than the average person.

That's why "Thou shalt not covet" is so prominent in the Ten Commandments.

I think your fallacy is in thinking that her experience is something you can necessarily apply or not to your own case.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

I think her fallacy is simple.  If she had been a poor woman who worked hard to earn the money that she invested and doubled her earnings then she has plenty of room to speak about getting up and doing something.  But she didn't.  She was born into it and inherited it.  That simple.  The money was just given to her and she ran with it.  Good on her for being a good business woman but she needs to stop pretending that she did it on her own.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Not as a whole, no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)