Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Remember the FS Glitch Last Month? - State to cut food stamp benefits for overspending

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 17 Replies
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - The state social services department is going to strip food stamp benefits from people who are found to have deliberately overspent their balance when the electronic food stamp service was down last month.

The Department of Children and Family Services announced Wednesday that it would seek to disqualify food stamp recipients through the state's administrative hearing process.

Several Louisiana retailers, including Wal-Mart stores in Mansfield and Springhill, allowed food stamp recipients to make unlimited purchases on Oct. 12, when the electronic card system was down and balances couldn't be checked.

DCFS says about 12,000 insufficient funds were conducted when the system was down, though not all are assumed to be fraudulent.

The department's response comes after U.S. Sen. David Vitter complained that state officials weren't aggressively pursuing food stamp fraud.

http://www.ksla.com/story/23899311/state-to-cut-food-stamp-benefits-for-overspending?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass&utm_content=buffer97676&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM
This is what I said they should do!
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Good! I am glad to hear this.

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Weeeks later? after the recipients have already received this months and probably already sent it? wow couldnt have been quicker??? but then again you cant do that in this state they will catch you right away
RigPrincess85
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Good. I'm glad to see they are doing something about it. The ones that knowingly did this were stealing and they should have consequences... Plain and simple.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

You did, you were right to say so.

How will we be able to tell that it actually occurred?

Trust But Verify!

Quoting kcangel63:

This is what I said they should do!

ReadWriteLuv
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I forsee a large chunk of people sobbing to local news crews about how mean and awful the state is for stripping their benefits at Christmas time. Boo-frickity-hoo.

JustCJ
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM

They deserve it! I say good! But, I hope no children suffer for it. :( 

fucking scum-bags.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Just a question...since walmart and others "allowed" it..wouldn't they be considered accessories to this fact and should be penalized also?.  It's like they were the driver of the getaway car..(imo)..

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I forsee a large chunk of people sobbing to local news crews about how mean and awful the state is for stripping their benefits at Christmas time. Boo-frickity-hoo.

Haha! Do you really think it will kick in that soon? My guess is they wont cancel them until after court hearings and those wont be for awhile and will most likely been drawn out. We are talking about the Government. Next to nothing ever gets done in a timely fashion.
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

People know their monthly stipend. Why should Walmart be held responsible at all? People KNEW they were over spending their stipends. We're not talking by $50 here, hundreds of dollars. 

Let's say this: You have a checking acct with (for example) $100 balance. You go to Walmart, and write a check to cover merchandise for $200 knowing you don't have that amount. Your check bounces, by your statement, Walmart should be partially responsible because they took your check. 

When are we going to hold people accountable for their actions? The card holders over spent their stipends not Walmart. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Just a question...since walmart and others "allowed" it..wouldn't they be considered accessories to this fact and should be penalized also?.  It's like they were the driver of the getaway car..(imo)..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN