Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Under Obama, Iran keeps its nuclear program and Americans lose their health insurance.

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

Historians and political scientists will have much to say, after its collapse, about contemporary liberalism's propensity to be at once tough on American citizens and soft on Iranian mullahs. Today's liberals are pleased to use the power of the state to nudge-not to say bully-their fellow Americans, while shunning the exercise of power abroad, preferring to accommodate-not to say appease-the nation's enemies. It would seem to be a paradox. 

Or perhaps not. Aren't the bossy often insecure? Aren't bullies often cowards? Those who throw their weight around when they aren't resisted often shy away from confrontation with those who won't yield. A fatal conceit at home can be the flip side of a fatal loss of nerve abroad.

This is a moment that reveals the 
bankruptcy of contemporary liberalism.
 It's also a moment of truth for American 
conservatism, which, at its best, com
bines the sound judgment of an older
conservatism and the fighting spirit of 
an older liberalism. It's a moment of truth for an American conservatism that embodies "that honorable determination which animates every votary of freedom, to rest all our political experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government" (Federalist 39). This suggests the immediate task of American conservatives: resistance to the nanny state at home and the enemies of freedom abroad.

The spirit of resistance is there. The rise of the Tea Party shows that. But the energy of the Tea Party, as Tea Party activists know, isn't enough. A strategy of successful resistance has to be embodied in and carried forward by a real political party. That's the Republican party.

We're now at a moment of truth for the Republican party. Can it act energetically and effectively in Congress to reverse Obamacare's most obnoxious elements, delay the most dangerous, and place it on a path to ultimate extinction? Beginning with legislation in the House this week to allow Americans to keep their current health plans if they wish, congressional Republicans seem to be getting their act together in opposing Obamacare. The challenge will be to stay focused, not to dissipate their energies on fights of far less importance or squabbles among themselves, and to remember that Obamacare is the center of gravity of American politics.

At the center of gravity of world politics is the question of a nuclear Iran. Here the Republican task is more difficult, for Congress has less leverage over and less ability to shape foreign policy. It will be hard to prevent the administration from consummating a bad deal with Iran. But Congress can insist on moving ahead with sanctions. Congressional Republicans can make clear that they oppose bad deals that would do nothing to reverse, and little even to slow, Iran's nuclear program. And Republicans can say that if the Obama administration is committed to doing nothing to stop that program, they will support our ally Israel if she chooses to act on her own, and on our, behalf.

Of course Republicans can't just resist. They need a positive agenda in both domestic and foreign policy, and work on that needs to go on. But for the immediate future, the crucial service the GOP can perform for the country is to stop both Obamacare and the Iranian nuclear program. Eventually the GOP will have to govern. It has to prepare to govern. But resistance precedes governing.

Successful resistance requires courage and competence-and a certain amount of cooperation. Now is surely the time for the Tea Party and the establishment to put aside some of their differences for the sake of their party, and their country. In light of the threats we face at home and abroad, now is surely the time for Republicans to hearken to the words of that great friend of American liberty, Edmund Burke: "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

-William Kristol

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimah
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

About as much logic as American's loose their food stamps so Obama can give israhell another half of billion a year.

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Such a deal!!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 8, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Obama..the "great"   negotiator. (not).. As for the article..too many rinos floating around...in and out of public offices.. Wouldn't trust any of them anymore to do the right thing..(sorry to say).. Nor is there enough...of "I've HAD enough"... Americans are too used to taking the scraps (imo)..and paying the bills while this admiistration goes rogue..again..my opinion..

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Why don't we improve the economy so Americans dont need so many foodstamps.

We are at record levels, very recently we didn't need this much, and this "cut" was just a temporary increase due to a stimus in the first place - not a cut.

Quoting muslimah:

About as much logic as American's loose their food stamps so Obama can give israhell another half of billion a year.

muslimah
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Why don't we improve the economy so Americans dont need so many foodstamps.

We are at record levels, very recently we didn't need this much, and this "cut" was just a temporary increase due to a stimus in the first place - not a cut.

Quoting muslimah:

Well you know it's more important to take take care of the israelis who don't need food stamps then it is to take care of Americans right here that do. America was already giving them 3 million a day plus military arms they are to pussy to even use and we still have to fight their battles and America has forgiven all their debt to us and here up and approved another half of billion for them which had to be taken out the food stamp money.

I don't get it never will. I personally wish America would stop all foreign aid going out to all countries they support and take care of their own first starting with israel being that they are the largest beneficiary of them all and Egypt the second and I think Iraq is right there with Egypt.

Now i can kind of turn my back on Iraq not because that's where my family is from and some still there but I think the U.S.A. is responsible for destroying the country in the first place. Iraq was so beautiful, and had a growing and getting stronger economy then America went and tore it all up for what I consider no valid reason. I think they need to build it back up, restore it to as close to what it was and then let them find for themselves too.

I'm all for charity. I send charity to sever placed around the world. Up until about almost 2 years ago i was very active in organizing fund raisers and banquets to raise funds mostly for Palestine and Iraq but we also helped allot of African countries but that was our own personal money out of our pockets. While we donated and gave charity to those in other countries we also did the same for those here in America.

The IANA (Islamic Association Of North America) the organization I belong to and my mosque is owned by has their own well fare system. It works just like the well fare from the state. You apply and if you are quallifies you get a check every month to pay your bills and buy groceries. The amount of the pay is based on what your expenses are and the size of the family. You can't get both though. It's either through the state or the mosque but you can't get both. Everything is legit through social security number

If they would cut foreign aid and all religious institutions would set up their own system it would probably make a big difference in our economy.

Nothing the government does makes any logical sense though.

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the feature Cafemom!

you rock

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Barack Obama - If you like your Nuclear Weapons - You can keep your Nuclear Weapons.

SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

yup

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Obama..the "great"   negotiator. (not).. As for the article..too many rinos floating around...in and out of public offices.. Wouldn't trust any of them anymore to do the right thing..(sorry to say).. Nor is there enough...of "I've HAD enough"... Americans are too used to taking the scraps (imo)..and paying the bills while this admiistration goes rogue..again..my opinion..

cammibear
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Ted Cruz: (best I can remember)

The old line WAS you can keep your health care plan and Iranian nukes are unacceptable.
#Obamaflipflops

Baffles the mind that we give money to Israel because they are our allies, and open the door for Iran to obtain nuclear weapons to blow them off the face of the earth. Nothing our government does makes any sense.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting cammibear:

Quoting Ted Cruz: (best I can remember)

The old line WAS you can keep your health care plan and Iranian nukes are unacceptable.
#Obamaflipflops

Baffles the mind that we give money to Israel because they are our allies, and open the door for Iran to obtain nuclear weapons to blow them off the face of the earth. Nothing our government does makes any sense.

Obama hates Israel and loves Iran, that's actually pretty easy to understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN