Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

FDA Banning Trans Fats - Are any of your favorite foods on the at-risk list?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 46 Replies

FDA Banning Trans Fats: 11 Foods That Could Radically Change

by Adriana Velez

frozen dinnerSay goodbye to a staple of the American diet. Your favorite foods may be about to change. The FDA is banning trans fats (A.K.A. trans fatty acids) because they pose such a huge public health risk. FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg says the change could prevent 20,000 heart attacks and 7,000 deaths every year. Hasta la vista, partially hydrogenated oils! 

The ban is not in effect yet. They're going to roll it out slowly so no food company suffers a metaphorical heart attack. But change is a-coming. Fortunately, a lot of food companies are ahead of the game and are already phasing out trans fats. Unfortunately, many other food companies have yet to release their death grip on the stuff. So -- which foods still contain trans fats

In most cases you can tell if something has trans fats by looking at the nutritional label. Also, check out the ingredients list for hydrogenated oils. Many foods, like ice cream and beef, have naturally occurring trans fats, which are not necessarily as unhealthy as artificial trans fats.

1. Margarine, shortening, and other spreadable butter substitutes. I can't believe it's so bad for me! In case you didn't get the memo, real butter is officially better tasting AND better for you.

2. Cake, pancake, and waffle mixes. Do you know how easy it is to make your own pancake batter from scratch? Just do it. Baking a cake from scratch is easier than you think.

3. Soup cups and packaged ramen noodles. You wouldn't think it, but they're there.

4. French fries and, really, almost anything battered and fried. Unless a restaurant tells you specifically that they do not use trans fats, just assume they're there.

5. Microwave popcorn. What's that smell? Someone's popping heart disease in the microwave. Yum.

6. Frozen meals. One of the worst offenders.

7. Baked treats. Also way, way up there. Packaged, mass-produced cookies, cakes, brownies are often made with trans fats because it gives them a longer shelf life. 

8. Chips. Trans fats give tortilla chips, potato chips, and even many crackers that light, crisp texture we love. 

9. Cereal bars. And you thought you were eating something healthy!

10. Nondairy creamer and flavored coffees. If it's creamy and doesn't have to be refrigerated, it probably has trans fats.

11. Salad dressing. Basically, assume anything at the grocery store other than fresh fruits and vegetables has trans fats. I'm kidding. No, but really -- this ban is going to take a while.

Are any of your favorite foods on this list?

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
5 moms liked this
Control, control, control. If you are in a ACA exchange and have a health issue related a food the gov't said is banned, I can foresee your benefits denied and/or your fees increased.....
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Of course.

Quoting rocketracer:

Control, control, control. If you are in a ACA exchange and have a health issue related a food the gov't said is banned, I can foresee your benefits denied and/or your fees increased.....

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

A..margarine is the ONLY thing that I have heard of for people to sell cookies on line as the cookie will  last longer.  I've always been told to use margarine if I ever decide to go into the cookie business..so wonder what the mail order cookieteers are going to use in place of it.

B. You would be surprised how many cakes (fancy ones) that are not made by scratch..but from a box mix..with added scratch ingredients...so that's going to increase the price of cakes greatly if they all have to go scratch.

I will miss coffee creamers..I LOVE my coffee creamers..especially raspberry white chocolate..

Are they going to ban pig eating too..I see that cart coming around the corner.

JustCJ
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM
4 moms liked this

I'll eat what I want!!! I've decided to live on the edge...I'm stocking up on creamer...this is bullshit...bullshit I tell ya!

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It is all about control..eat what we say is best for you.You are just mindless cattle.I love my coffee creamers aand if they come out tasting different I will make my damn own.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM
So, are they banning fried foods then? No French fries, fried chicken, tater tots, onion rings, calamari, etc...? Or are they going to fry in lard now?
imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM
5 moms liked this

Hey!  What happened to My Body, My Choice!!  Keep the government out of my stomach!!

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Quoting JustCJ:

I'll eat what I want!!! I've decided to live on the edge...I'm stocking up on creamer...this is bullshit...bullshit I tell ya!

JustCJ
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Ha! Cartman is EXACTLY the voice I heard when I wrote that lmfao!

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting JustCJ:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I already make all of our food ~ so this won't affect me at all. I've been cooking, baking, etc. without the stuff for years now. The fact that eating out, even at a high end restaurant usually makes me ill is enough reason for me to believe the stats on trans fats. The stuff is just plain nasty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN