Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Baby discovered encased in concrete in Pleasant Hill, Mo., home

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
PLEASANT HILL, Mo. — The body of a baby was discovered Monday encased in concrete, and now police are questioning an adult who lived in the home located in Pleasant Hill, Mo.

Police told FOX 4′s Macradee Aegerter they responded to the home in the 300 block of Cline St., on reports of a stolen automobile. When they arrive, they asked the man if they could search the home and police said they received the resident’s permission.

During the search, police say they noticed a plastic tote filled with concrete. They then discovered the body of a baby inside.

“During the course of that investigation, it led us not only to the stolen auto and to some minor drug paraphernalia and drugs, but it also led us to a capsule that we believed contained a body of an infant that had possibly been born sometime in the first part of October,” explained Chief Robert Driscoll, Pleasant Hill Police.

The couple who live in the home has four children, according to police. The children are now with their grandparents in the small town of Prairie Home, Mo., about two hours east of Pleasant Hill. FOX 4′s Robert Townsend took the trip there and inquired of the grandparents about the situation.

“Yeah, we are the grandparents, but we have the other children who are here and there’s no need to sensationalize this. We have no comment, ” the grandmother told FOX 4.

The grandfather ordered FOX 4 to leave.
“We’re done with you,” he said. “Leave or I’ll make you leave.”

Neighbors who lived near the Pleasant Hill home said the mother denied being pregnant.
“He [her husband] denied with her,” Kurt Brent, neighbor, said. “He said she wasn’t.”

Police tell FOX 4 that the mother of the children is in the hospital. Neighbors say she has been there for a few weeks.

“It’s puzzling. I still don’t know what to think about it. It’s crazy,” said neighbor Kurt Brent. “There’s obvious some sadness, but yet anger takes over because how could somebody do that to an innocent child?” Brent asked during our interview.

Police held the father for questioning Tuesday afternoon but charges have not yet been filed.
It was unclear if the child was stillborn or died after birth. An autopsy was underway to determine the child’s cause of death. Police did not yet know if any crime had been committed and did not know which, if any, charges would be filed by the Cass County Prosecutor’s office.
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM
And to add to it...

Home where baby was found in concrete burglarized after initial investigation

PLEASANT HILL, Mo. –New details emerged on Wednesday, including a possible second crime, at the Pleasant Hill home where a baby was found encased in a tub of concrete.

Neighbors said just hours after police wrapped up an investigation surrounding a stolen car, drugs and the baby found encased in concrete, police arrived at the home again. This time they discovered that a burglary had been committed.

Police left the first investigation surrounding the baby around 10 p.m. on Monday night and even the next day, crime scene tape was still strung across the front of the garage where the investigation had focused. Next door neighbor Kurt Brent said police knocked on his door Tuesday morning asking about a burglary that had taken place inside the home just hours earlier.

“8:30 in the morning yesterday morning, cops advised me that the house had been broken into and supposedly that they ransacked the house and robbed them blind, but then yet there was guns that were piled up on the back door, wrapped up in a cloth and that’s what the cops were taking out whenever they said the house was robbed blind,” said Brent.

What the burglars went looking for and what was taken from the home is not clear.
Pleasant Hill Police say the report is not complete. But neighbors say they are still focused on how a baby, they were told never existed, ended up in the concrete filled tub next door.

“I said man-to-man, I said, ‘You don’t have to lie to me, is your old lady and you expecting a baby and is she pregnant?’ And he goes, ‘No, man, not pregnant. I promise we’re not pregnant,” Brent said he asked the homeowner that about three months ago.

While police are working to determine if the baby was born dead or alive and if a crime was committed, Brent said one most definitely was.
“Oh there was, because there’s no reason that a baby should be put in placement of concrete in a tub. That’s not a proper burial and that’s not what we all stand for,” he said.

The Jackson County Medical Examiner’s Office said the autopsy was completed on Tuesday but the toxicology results will take six- eight weeks to complete. The Pleasant Hill Police Department has not released any details of the preliminary results and no charges have been filed.
29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Lately, nothing that adults do to children and babies surprises me.  Some people  just do not care.  And I can't find it in me to care much, if at all, about the adults in the mix.  I can't imagine what that baby went through.  I am hoping that it was stillborn, that the "parents" didn't harm that poor baby....

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

That's crazy

JustCJ
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you on this 29. I don't get how these cases aren't an obvious crime. I'm sick of seing dead babies in bags and garbage cans on the news. WTF

Quoting 29again:

Lately, nothing that adults do to children and babies surprises me.  Some people  just do not care.  And I can't find it in me to care much, if at all, about the adults in the mix.  I can't imagine what that baby went through.  I am hoping that it was stillborn, that the "parents" didn't harm that poor baby....

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you both - even if stillborn, an infant's body should be treated with respect. Probably the police know there was a crime, just waiting for the investigation to be complete to decide which to charge with - I say, pile the charges on!

Quoting JustCJ:

I'm with you on this 29. I don't get how these cases aren't an obvious crime. I'm sick of seing dead babies in bags and garbage cans on the news. WTF

Quoting 29again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

The point is, that someone who hadn't commited a crime would alert authorities, be it still birth or whatever. This just proves to (me and my mind) that there was a crime, as it looked to be attempted to be covered.

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I agree with you both - even if stillborn, an infant's body should be treated with respect. Probably the police know there was a crime, just waiting for the investigation to be complete to decide which to charge with - I say, pile the charges on!

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting 29again:

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM
That is all so odd. I need more details. So odd that they were married and denying the pregnancy from the beginning. More details
JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I agree with you also 29! i hope that this baby was born stillborn and that these parents did not harm the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)