Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Latest Obamacare Ads Are an Insult to All Americans

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 28 Replies

Latest Obamacare Ads Are an Insult to All Americans

by Jenny Erikson 

Thanks, feminists. Now look at what you did! Seriously guys, sometimes I just can’t even fathom what the mindset is with all this clamoring for free birth control. It’s like some people believe they’re being oppressed if Big Daddy Government doesn’t give them free contraceptives or something.

There’s an insulting new ad campaign out called got insurance?, which of course plays off the famous (infamous?) got milk? ads from a few years back. According to the website, the initiative is a “project of the Thanks Obamacare campaign, created by the Colorado Consumer Health Initiative and ProgressNow Colorado Education to educate everyone about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act.”

They advertise “Brosurance.” No really. Brosurance. One of the ads features three 20-something dudes, one of whom is doing a keg stand. The caption reads, “Brosurance: Keg stands are crazy. Not having health insurance is crazier. Don’t tap into your beer money to cover those medical bills. We got it covered.”

Oh THANK GOODNESS idiot frat boys won’t have to (gasp!) tap into their beer money to buy health insurance! No, we just have middle class working families whose premiums are skyrocketing to do that.

That’s not even the most insulting one. Nope, that award might have to go to the one the Internet has dubbed “Ho-surance,” a term the creators of the ad obviously missed the chance to capitalize on. In this one, a cute young woman looks excitedly into the camera while some cocky dude with one too many buttons undone stands behind her and smiles smugly. The caption on this one is, “Let’s Get Physical: OMG, he’s hot! Let’s hope he’s as easy to get as this birth control. My health insurance covers the pill, which means all I have to worry about is getting him between the covers.”

Newsflash to 20-somethings with a vagina -- it’s not hard to get a guy to sleep with you, especially when you give up the goods so freely he doesn’t even have to spring for a condom. Sheesh!

Ok, so now we have the bros who are more concerned with beer money than taking care of themselves, hos who care more about free birth control than developing a committed relationship, who else do we have to insult? Oh yes, the Hispanic community.

In the only ad for prenatal care, the Obamacare gurus chose to feature a pregnant Latina. Are they suggesting that Hispanic women are the ones that can’t afford their own health care and must rely on the government dole? Jerks.

Do you think this ad campaign is insulting?

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Of Course.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

What ad agency developed those ads?  Only the gov't would approve such a stupid ad concept!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this

One has to know their target audience.

The audience that they are targeting will think that is a fabulous campaing.

No add agency ever went broke UNDERestimating the intelligence of the American Left.

Quoting rocketracer:

What ad agency developed those ads?  Only the gov't would approve such a stupid ad concept!

LLisaA
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Oh for goodness sakes people.  If these were government ads they'd use a .gov domain, these ads are from a company that has an agenda (which is, for the record, "To counter the far-right political agenda").

Also, I take insult to the fact that the writer says definitively that the pregnant lady is Hispanic.  She looks like any number of people I've known throughout my life that were NOT Hispanic, are they suggesting she's Hispanic because her name is "Maria" and her skin is slightly tanned?  Wow, that's quite a leap.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Update: ObamaCare will also prove invaluable to parents who are stupid enough to let their children use the family machete to carve a pumpkin:

Media preview

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ugh

mommyvonne
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quoting LLisaA:

Oh for goodness sakes people.  If these were government ads they'd use a .gov domain, these ads are from a company that has an agenda (which is, for the record, "To counter the far-right political agenda").

Also, I take insult to the fact that the writer says definitively that the pregnant lady is Hispanic.  She looks like any number of people I've known throughout my life that were NOT Hispanic, are they suggesting she's Hispanic because her name is "Maria" and her skin is slightly tanned?  Wow, that's quite a leap.

These are state endoresed ads (not sponsored), which would not show up on a .gov website.  They would go through whatever route the ad agency has arranged.  In this situation, they appear to have their own domain.  I live in this state and can tell you that Hickenlooper, the three-ring leader, treats the vast majority of residents here as if they are idiots ... and he could be right.  These ads go hand-in-hand with his campaign to move the state toward a federalized single-payer healthcare system.  While the state may not be officially paying for the ads, it certainly embraces the ads' real sponsors.  Noteworthy, the CCHI admits that it is basically serves to reflect the policies and priorties of the state, aka "legislature."

http://cohealthinitiative.org/mission

Mission

CCHI is a statewide, non-partisan, non-profit coalition of organizational and individual members, representing well over 500,000 Coloradans. CCHI acts as a representative of the policy and advocacy priorities of our members at the legislature and in the community to influence and shape effective health care policy on behalf of consumers.

http://www.doyougotinsurance.com/index.php?id=11

UpSheRises
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I think its tacky and trite. Embarrassing...but not insulting.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Very distasteful - if the post office couldn't sell stamps that showed children participating in "unsafe" acts - how did this slip through the approval route?? Guess it is just because it is Colorado. SMH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

"The problem with the world today is there are too many stupid people.....and no one to eat em!"

~Carlos Mencia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)