Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obamacare Website Model Cruelly Bullied by Misguided Masses?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

Obamacare Website Model Cruelly Bullied by Misguided Masses

by Adriana Velez 

obamacare girlOkay, so it's no secret. Americans have been mightily disappointed with so-called Obamacare. The website pretty much exploded into a thousand tears of fail, and some folks say they're actually paying higher premiums now. As an ardent supporter of Obama's health care law ... oh never mind. No one cares about my opinion at this point. Here's what I'm more concerned about today. Apparently the Obamacare website model has been mercilessly bullied like she's responsible for the whole damn thing. And it just so happens we share the same first name.

Yeah that's right -- Obamacare Lady is a real person with an actual name: Adriana. So when you attack her, it's like you're attacking ME. Actually, that's not true. But because we share a name, I do feel a kind of kinship with her. Why are people attacking my doppelganger over something she's not even remotely responsible for? It makes me fear for humanity. Are we that cruel ... and stupid?

Adriana (who will not give her last name because why make things even easier for the crazies?) says she's baffled by all the hate she got for appearing on the website. In an interview with ABC News, she said, "I mean, I don't know why people should hate me because it's just a photo. I didn't design the website. I didn't make it fail, so I don't think they should have any reasons to hate me." And then she teared up. You guys made Obamacare Girl cry! What the hell is the matter with you?!?

Oh, I know why people have reason to hate her -- because it was her face they saw, over and over again. It's called scapegoating -- when you feel so powerless and angry you hold another powerless person responsible for your pain. It's usually not even someone who can actually do anything to solve the problem. That's not the point. The point is to make someone else suffer without it coming back to you.

Sane people with a grip on reality know better. We know Adriana did not make the website, did not author the Affordable Care Act, and was in no way responsible for passing it. All she did was allow the agency to use a photo of her on their website. We know attacking Adriana isn't going to make health care more affordable, or the sign-up process easier, or make the law go away.

Here are a few things that are true about Adriana:

1. She's the mother of a 21-month-old boy.
  2. She's an immigrant from Colombia with permanent resident status working towards citizenship.
  3. She is married to a U.S. citizen.
  4. She lives in Maryland.
  5. She was not paid for the use of her photo.

The photo of Adriana was removed from the website a couple weeks ago, but the White House hasn't said anything specific about how Adriana was treated in the wake of Obamacarewebsitegate. But it would be nice if they did say something. Ahem, I SAID. IT WOULD BE NICE IF THEY DID SAY SOMETHING. (I don't know if they can hear me from over here.) At the least, they could pay for her therapy. Anyway, can we all please get a grip here and stop holding this poor woman responsible for everything that's gone wrong with Obamacare? Can we please be at least that decent?

Click here for video

Are you amazed to see and hear Obamacare Girl talking like a real human being?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Quote:

Oh, I know why people have reason to hate her -- because it was her face they saw, over and over again. It's called scapegoating -- when you feel so powerless and angry you hold another powerless person responsible for your pain. It's usually not even someone who can actually do anything to solve the problem. That's not the point. The point is to make someone else suffer without it coming back to you.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not right to come down on her for the administration's blunders but I'm wondering what she was hoping to gain from it since she wasn't paid.  And does anyone else find it ironic that the face of Obamacare is someone that isn't even a US Citizen  yet?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I was aware that people were interrested in knowing who she was.

I was not aware that she was being bullied - especially as no one knew who she was or could find her.

How was she bullied, again?

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Apparently there was a bit of rhetoric about her national status and whether she had insurance and what she did to get said photo published. It was kind of disturbing really. Dh got very angry Facebook message about it from one of the many psycho...I mean his more energetic friends.

Quoting Billiejeens:I was aware that people were interrested in knowing who she was.
I was not aware that she was being bullied - especially as no one knew who she was or could find her.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I think the curiosity was whether or not the lying pos in the White House - made the girl up as he did with his other girls (Julia) and was a complilation -

Nobody should be stuck to that pos - i do feel a little badly for her.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Apparently there was a bit of rhetoric about her national status and whether she had insurance and what she did to get said photo published. It was kind of disturbing really. Dh got very angry Facebook message about it from one of the many psycho...I mean his more energetic friends.

Quoting Billiejeens:I was aware that people were interrested in knowing who she was.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

She has not signed up for the insurance and has no opinon either way about it.. She volunteered her picture..  Free or paid for...if you are going to put your face out there..ya should know what your face is being used to advertise for.  She used a contact to for medicare and medicaid to do this.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Where are the examples of the people who bullied her? If so, unacceptable.  If people just wanted to know who she was and if she was Obama's "Julia" solution to ObamaCare, I don't see them as the same.  Need more specific examples.

Sidebar: She wasn't even paid for her photo?  

momtimesx4
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Nope...she is the face of it so when those people stayed up until 3am night after night trying to create an account just to get a glimpse at some rates, she is to blame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)