Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Woman Hailed by President as Obamacare Success Story Now Can't Afford Obamacare

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 18 Replies

CNN reports that a woman the president hailed as an Obamacare success story just realized she won't be able to afford Obamacare because it's too expensive.

"Jessica Sanford was cited by the president as an Obamacare success story at a health care event he had here at the White House in the Rose Garden on October 21," says a reporter for CNN from the White House. "That of course being just last month. The 48-year-old single mom from Washington state purchased what she considered to be affordable health care, life-changing event, she said, on the Washington state health exchange. She decided she was so excited about this news, she wanted to write an e-mail to the president to say that this had really changed her life and that she was thankful for the Afforable Care Act. The president included her e-mail in his remarks to people on hand for the event. Here's a bit of what the president had to say."

The CNN report quotes President Obama as saying, "I recently received a letter from a woman named Jessica Sanford in Washington state. And here's what she wrote, I am a single mom, no child support, self-employed. and I haven't had insurance for 15 years because it's too expensive. I was crying the other day when I signed up, so much stress lifted."

"But days, just really three days after she was mentioned by the president, Jessica Sanford started having problems, she was receiving letters from the Washington state health exchange," reports CNN. "The first letter telling her that tax credit was reduced, therefore, increasing the cost of her health care plan and the, take a look at this, then she received a letter just last week telling her that her tax credit had been taken away all together. Show you another document here, showing what the tax credit worked out to be... zero dollars according to this document that was provided to us by Jessica Sanford. She describes all of this as a roller coaster ride. Now she says she can't afford insurance in Washington state because of the new developments."

Sanford tells CNN that she's embarrassed. "It was a huge disappointment, especially since I had, you know, my story had been shared by the president. I felt like, you know, I just felt really embarrassed that, you know, he quoted my story and then come to find that the Washington health plan finder, the website here in our state, had grossly miscalculated or they're having a problem figuring their tax credits. and so at least for right now, I don't -- I'm not going to be getting insurance," she says.

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bec94
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Poor woman! It's not an embarrassment for her, it's an embarrassment for all those that put aca into law without making sure it would really help. I'm still on edge hoping our insurance doesn't change or go up. We already have a higher deductible(4,000 or 5,000 family of 4) but all well visits are covered 100%
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I feel sorry for her.  She had actually believed in the hope and change.

Lullababy
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM
That just plain old sucks.
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Has anyone else listened to what Obama said on his conference call held over the weekend with Organizing for America?
His numbers were all over the place. He said 100 million people have successfully enrolled in ACA. 1 million people have completed applications. 400 thousand have gained new access to Medicaid . 500 thousand now have knowledge that they have security of health care.
he still doesn't have a clue how bad things are. However, if he does, then he just lied again.
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

What is embarassing is those who continue to praise him and this ACA stuff. I feel bad for her, she believed this president.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

That stinks for her.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you hear how they all ready have her credit card number? ...probably required credit card info up front ....I guess she can cancel her credit card before they automatically charge her.
SherryBerry106
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That makes no sense.

Anyone one with  half a brain knew the promises that he was making were not mathematically possible.

Even forgetting that he is a pathological liar, it was not possible.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

What is embarassing is those who continue to praise him and this ACA stuff. I feel bad for her, she believed this president.

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Once again, she was reduced to tears.

“I had a good cry,” she told CNN. “This is it. I’m not getting insurance. That’s where it stands right now unless they fix it.”

Now the single mom and her son are left without health insurance, and under the Affordable Care Act, face a $95 penalty.

Sanford, who twice voted for Obama, says she isn’t angry at the president for her insurance problems, and instead blames the state of Washington.

“I am so incredibly disappointed and saddened,” she wrote on the state health exchange Facebook page. “You majorly screwed up.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/passantino/single-mom-touted-by-obama-as-health-care-success-story-gets

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Sanford expressed her outrage on the Washington Healthplanfinder Facebook page.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN