Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Whiny Neighbors Complain About Navy Playing 'Star-Spangled Banner'

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

Whiny Neighbors Complain About Navy Playing 'Star-Spangled Banner'

by Maressa Brown

u.s. flagWhile growing up in the neighborhood adjacent to my high school, having the windows open anytime between August and December meant hearing our marching band either practicing or playing at football games. I don't think anyone in that area felt that it was anything less than one of the coolest aspects of living in suburbia. But these days, who knows ...? If the people living there now are anything like some neighbors of Naval Weapons Station Earle in Middletown, NJ, they may be filing noise complaints!

People living near the navy base's waterfront location can reportedly hear the “Call to Colors” followed by “The Star-Spangled Banner” being played when the base raises its flag at 8 a.m. and also during a similar ceremony at sunset when the flag is lowered. And some are none too pleased, asking officials at the naval station to turn down the volume.

Initially, a few residents thought the sound was from other neighbors, and as a result, at least one called the police multiple times to report it. Ugh. The complaints range from the irate, like this gem from one resident named Bob Wille, who says, "Why should someone not in the service have to wake up to reveille?" to the more rationale remarks of Matt Di Benedett who has lived near the base for almost 30 years. He emphasized, “We’re only asking them to drop the volume. We’re not against anything.”

I'm not really sure what the big deal is. How did these people not realize they were living near a naval base when they moved in? Furthermore, is it really that big a deal to hear instrumental music played during reasonable hours when most people are awake anyway? And I can think of sounds that are a helluva lot worse to have to endure -- construction, domestic spats, car alarms going off nonstop, etc.!

But the annoyed neighbors will be happy to hear that base spokesman Michael Brady says the new broadcast system that was installed during the summer (after the old address system had been broken for at least three years) is now being tested with sound meters in the nearby communities to adjust the volume to an appropriate level.

In the meantime, there are some people who have no problem with the "noise," like Andrew Lucina, a Korean War vet who has lived near the base for 55 years, who said he looks forward to hearing the music each day and doesn’t feel sorry for those who might be sleeping at that time. He elaborated:

Play it as loud as they want. I was willing to die for that flag. I’m not going to complain about "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Really, I'm not seeing why anyone would!

How do you feel about this controversy?

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2boys03
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My parents live in the Chicago suburbs.  For years there are people that live in one town that complain about the air traffic from O'hara airport.  Now mind you they knew the airport was there when they moved in like these people knew the navy base was there and yet they complain about the noise.  I think in both cases it's ridiculous to complain since they were known fixtures in the community.  People want to complain to complain to see what they can get.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Wonder if they would complain if there was no navy or military establishment to protect them and/or the interest of the United States...

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I personally wouldn't complain.  I would think it very cool to hear that daily. Since it is a new system, they could possibly need to adjust the volume but I would be against ceasing the playing.  

This man sounds like a real jerk:

The complaints range from the irate, like this gem from one resident named Bob Wille, who says, "Why should someone not in the service have to wake up to reveille?"

mommyxdos
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I live on a Navy base and some people who live outside of the base frequently complain about the noise from the fighter jets practicing.  I think one man complained that him and his wife had to extend their bedtime to 1030.  Really!  I say they should drop those people off in Iraq or Afghanistan and see how long it takes them to call out for those pesky fighter jets to come save them!  I bet they would welcome them and the noise they create.  The Star-Spangled Banner should be a welcomed sound rather than a problem.  If they don't  like it, MOVE!

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

They should MOVE if they don't like it.  Please people really amaze me.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

They are idiots.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

They can always move somewhere else ~ preferably a country where the military abuses the citizens. Maybe then they would learn to appreciate what they have in the US.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My daughter just moved into an apartment that is right in the line of the fighter jets practice route.  It's noisy but she knew it when she moved in.  She doesn't complain.  Instead she says it must be what freedom sounds like.  

Quoting mommyxdos:

I live on a Navy base and some people who live outside of the base frequently complain about the noise from the fighter jets practicing.  I think one man complained that him and his wife had to extend their bedtime to 1030.  Really!  I say they should drop those people off in Iraq or Afghanistan and see how long it takes them to call out for those pesky fighter jets to come save them!  I bet they would welcome them and the noise they create.  The Star-Spangled Banner should be a welcomed sound rather than a problem.  If they don't  like it, MOVE!

Alysse24
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

If it is indeed loud, then the base should adjust the volume. The base public affairs officer said, “We are concerned about being a good neighbor, it’s a balancing act of having it loud enough that people on the base can hear it without projecting beyond our fence.” 

I don't think the residents are being whinny at all. This isn't a situation where a person moves in next to an airport and starts to complain about the air traffic noise. The increased volume wasn't an issue until this year.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Military bases SHOULD comply with city noise ordinances.  If they have the capability of lowering the volume, then they should.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN