Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Florida Couple Forced to Rip Out Their 17-Year-Old Vegetable Garden or Pay $1,500 a Month to the City

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Eds
  • 24 Replies

Florida Couple Forced to Rip Out Their 17-Year-Old Vegetable Garden or Pay $1,500 a Month to the City

A new zoning ordinance supposedly designed to “protect the distinctive character” of a community in Miami Shores, Fla., has forced a couple to rip up their 17-year-old vegetable garden.

Florida Couple Forced to Rip Out Their 17 Year Old Vegetable Garden or Pay $1,500 a Month to the City

Credit: Institute for Justice

Sure, they could have defied the city’s ordinance, but it would have cost them $50 a day, or $1,500 a month.

Hermine Ricketts and her husband, Tom Carroll, have maintained a modest vegetable garden in their front yard for the past 17 years. When the city passed a new zoning ordinance in May, they suddenly found themselves in violation, according to Watchdog.org.

The zoning ordinance specifically prohibits vegetables from appearing in front yards. Other things, like “fruit, trees or even plastic flamingos” are not regulated, Watchdog.org notes.

After being confronted by the local code enforcement officer and being denied an exemption twice by the Miami Shores Code Enforcement Board, the Florida couple gave in and ripped their garden up. They just couldn’t afford to give the city $1,500 a month so they could continue growing vegetables.

However, they are now taking the city to court.

The Institute for Justice, a nonprofit libertarian leaning legal aid group, filed a lawsuit Tuesday on the couple’s behalf. They aren’t suing for money, but rather the right to grow vegetables on their property.

“If the government can tell you what you can and can’t do in your front yard, what else can they decide is off-limits?” Institute for Justice attorney Ari Bargil said.

Attempts to contact the Miami Shores Code Enforcement Board after hours Tuesday to get additional clarification as to why vegetables are specifically targeted were not successful.

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Good for them!   I think this is crazy.  Its not like they are letting their grass or weeds go unmanaged.  They are growing food!

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Sad, sad, sad.....we are living in a world of craziness......

UpSheRises
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:02 AM

This happened to a family in my area a few years ago. The city lost because they couldn't articulate which plants, out of millions, were acceptable. I'm sure this family will win too but what a waste of resources for the family and the tax payers of that city.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

This is absolutely crazy!! I hope they win, sucks they have to waste all this time fighting for something that should be theres to decide in the 1st place.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM
2 moms liked this

This seems to be happening a lot.  It's very sad that families who have neat and well kept yards are punished for growing their own food.  I'm glad they are fighting back.

heldcaptiveby2
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM
This!

Quoting 4kidz916:

This seems to be happening a lot.  It's very sad that families who have neat and well kept yards are punished for growing their own food.  I'm glad they are fighting back.

momtimesx4
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The zoning ordinance specifically prohibits vegetables from appearing in front yards. Other things, like “fruit, trees or even plastic flamingos” are not regulated, Watchdog.org notes.

Well there you go.  Grow some tomatoes since they are a fruit.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I sure as hell hope they win. How friggin' stupid. What a waste of money for the taxpayers. 

Citygirlk
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I used to live in that area. One of my mons friends had a orange tree and the the city forced them to cut it down. It's known in Florida if you want to grow something grow it in your back yard or city will remove it. 

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

They should have been grandfathered in.  But these cities and HOV's are usually ruled by people who have strong ideas on how it is supposed to be.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN