Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Rush Limbaugh Invokes Rape Analogy To Criticize Filibuster Reform

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 6 Replies

Rush Limbaugh invoked a rape analogy on Friday to criticize President Obama's move to support filibuster reform.

On Thursday, Obama expressed his support for Senate Democrats voting to require just 51 votes — as opposed to 60 — approve judicial and executive nominees. Limbaugh compared them to a group of people where the majority decides it is okay to rape women.

"Let's forget the Senate for a minute," Limbaugh began. He told his listeners to imagine a group of 10 people with six men and four women. "The group has a rule that the men cannot rape the women," he said. "The group also has a rule that says any rule that will be changed must require six votes, of the 10, to change the rule."

The radio host continued,

"Every now and then, some lunatic in the group proposes to change the rule to allow women to be raped. But they never were able to get six votes for it. There were always the four women voting against it and they always found two guys.Well, the guy that kept proposing that women be raped finally got tired of it, and he was in the majority and he was one that [said], 'You know what? We're going to change the rule. Now all we need is five." And well, 'you can't do that.' 'Yes we are. We're the majority. We're changing the rule.' And then they vote. Can the women be raped? Well, all it would take then is half of the room. You can change the rule to say three. You can change the rule to say three people want it, it's going to happen."

"When the majority can change the rules there aren't any," Limbaugh concluded. He added that Obama was only changing the rule because he can’t get "what he wants democratically."

As Politico noted, his comments were met with swift backlash on Twitter:

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM

He is a sick, sick, sick, twisted excuse of a man

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
4 moms liked this
He's exactly right.

He was a little wordy doing it.

Same analogy three wolves and 2 sheep vote on what's for dinner.

As someone that exists way beyond any hope even seeing the mainstream, you should definitely be for protecting minority rights.
packermom4ever
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't hear what he actually said, so I'm not going to address that part of this post as I know that often times things regarding politics are taken way out of context.

However, I do agree that this was a major fit thrown by the left.  They didn't get their way so they decided to ifnd a way to sway things in their direction - take those that oppose them out of the equation.  I find it childish and wish that congress would grow up.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this

His analogy is sound.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM
3 moms liked this

So what's your point? Did you actually READ what he said, or did you just jump on the topic? If you read it, it makes a lot of sense. It just goes to show you how the dems operate.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM
3 moms liked this

There was quite a bit before that. I was driving home from lunch and herd it. He started with the repubs don't even need to show up the rest of their term because there is basically nothing they can do to stop the dems, which is true. They will need to get 6 dems to vote with them to do anything, assuming they have the votes of all 45 reps. He gave some background as to why the founding fathers set up the house and senate differently, one with simple majority and one with a higher threshold. 

I wish he had used a different analogy but I guess he knew this would make news, and he's right.

And he's right that when a simple majority makes the rules there are no rules.

Quoting packermom4ever:

I didn't hear what he actually said, so I'm not going to address that part of this post as I know that often times things regarding politics are taken way out of context.

However, I do agree that this was a major fit thrown by the left.  They didn't get their way so they decided to ifnd a way to sway things in their direction - take those that oppose them out of the equation.  I find it childish and wish that congress would grow up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)