Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

‘I Worship Nothing’: Atheists Set to Unveil 55 Secular Billboards in One Calif. City This Christmas Season

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Eds
  • 370 Replies

‘I Worship Nothing’: Atheists Set to Unveil 55 Secular Billboards in One Calif. City This Christmas Season

One California city will soon be inundated with 55 billboards touting atheism this Christmas season.

The Greater Sacramento Chapter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a church-state separatist group, will post billboards in Sacramento on Monday, carrying messages like, “I worship nothing and question everything,” “Studying the Bible made me an atheist” and “Reason. Equality. Doing Good — all without gods.”

KTXL-TV has more:

The effort, which KXTV-TV called ”a billboard blitz,” will feature local individuals who wish to share their secularism with the general public. In addition to their picture, a name and profession will accompany a secular message from each of the 55 people depicted.

The billboards, which do not directly invoke holiday themes and focus on secularism more generally, will be posted for one month.

I Worship Nothing: FFRF Set to Unveil 55 Billboards in Sacramento California This Christmas Season

One of the campaign’s 55 billboards (Credit: Sacramento Chapter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation)

The campaign, part of the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Out of the Closet” national effort, is strategically being placed during the holiday season — a time in which religious sentiment is at its most prevalent.

“It’s because atheists are starting to speak up and they’re beginning to identify each other and find out they’re not alone,” Judy Saint, president of the organization’s Sacramento chapter, told KXTV-TV.

Saint said that the campaign isn’t meant to disparage people who believe in God or enjoy their faith, but that it is targeted at those who “don’t know that atheism is okay.”

“There are a lot of non-believers and this time of year, they feel like they’re all alone,” she added.

Some are less than content over the billboard campaign. Bishop Jaime Soto of Cathedral of a Blessed Sacrament told KTXL-TV that he believes the messages constitute propaganda. In the end, he doesn’t believe they’ll have much of an impact.

Ads by Coupon Companion Plugin. More Info | Hide These Ads

“While I’m not happy about these billboards, I am certain people still, when they look deep down in their soul and in their heart, find a spark. They believe in a higher power,” Soto told the outlet.

Atheist activists regularly post secular and Christmas-themed billboards during the holiday season.

American Atheists ignited controversy last year with a controversial campaign in Times Square that referred to Jesus Christ as a “myth.”

What do you think about these new billboards? Let us know in the comments section.

(H/T: KXTV-TV)

VIDEO HERE: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/26/i-worship-nothing-atheist-activists-set-to-unveil-55-billboards-in-one-calif-city-this-christmas-season/

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM
6 moms liked this

If you (general you) are not attacking anyone..but believing in your own beliefs..why do this around Christmas?

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM
9 moms liked this

Christmas is a pagan holiday. Jesus was not born on December 25th. 

If we can have fetus billboards all year then we should also have atheist ones.

Vegan_Goddess
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I don't think a billboard will ever sway a person one way or another, only life experience can.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

But why post them now..during the holiday..why didn't they do it over the summer or last spring?    You know Pema.."some" people do think of Christmas as celebrating Christ ergo "Christ mas"..even though many Christians and others associate it with a pagan holiday..   I have plenty of stamps saying "Jesus is the reason for the season"..whether some believe in it or not.   

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Regardless of whether a certain date is pin point accurate, and we could argue this over and over, - the reason is quite clear why it is here- it is to remember and honor the coming of the prophetically promised Messiah.   
For atheists to deliberately malign this, shows their bias and contempt towards God.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM
6 moms liked this

It's their right to do it and if California allows them to do it, then so be it.  I just wish they wouldn't cause such a stir when Christians do things like this or when Christians want to distribute boxes of toys to underprivileged children along with a Christian pamphlet, etc, etc.  It seems to be a real double standard--they want tolerance but only if it's not dealing with religion. 

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

But why post them now..during the holiday..why didn't they do it over the summer or last spring?    You know Pema.."some" people do think of Christmas as celebrating Christ ergo "Christ mas"..even though many Christians and others associate it with a pagan holiday..   I have plenty of stamps saying "Jesus is the reason for the season"..whether some believe in it or not.   

They mentioned Atheists feeling alone during the Christmas season. That might be the reason for it? 

LOL @ the stamp comment.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting 4kidz916:

It's their right to do it and if California allows them to do it, then so be it.  I just wish they wouldn't cause such a stir when Christians do things like this or when Christians want to distribute boxes of toys to underprivileged children along with a Christian pamphlet, etc, etc.  It seems to be a real double standard--they want tolerance but only if it's not dealing with religion.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
3 moms liked this

How can someone have contempt towards something they believe doesn't exist?

Quoting Debrowsky:

Regardless of whether a certain date is pin point accurate, and we could argue this over and over, - the reason is quite clear why it is here- it is to remember and honor the coming of the prophetically promised Messiah.   
For atheists to deliberately malign this, shows their bias and contempt towards God.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
5 moms liked this

ask those who continuously post billboards and ads and litigation against those who do believe He exists.   seems pretty obvious to everyone else.  surprise mini

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

How can someone have contempt towards something they believe doesn't exist?

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN