Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

OT: Thankgiving Dinner...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 42 Replies
Okay ladies.... I have been slacking hugely! We are going to my moms for dinner but I wanted to bring a couple of things. She does every holiday, so I wanted to start Potlucking it so it's not ALL on her. Looking for ideas. What do yous normally have/make for Thanksgiving?
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I usually make the guacamole and another dip for snacking before the meal.  

Sorry I'm not much help.  We are just doing it low-key this year.  :)

SuzCahn
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My menu: Traditional>>

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, baked mashed sweet potatoes, corn, peas, lima beans, green beans, red cabbage, rolls.

Dessert: pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, chocolate cake.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

We are sharing the holiday with some good friends. My girlfriend is making the rest. I am bringing an apple pear pie, the rolls, the drinks, & sweet potato salad.

Outspoken.Mime
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Offer to bring desserts and/or sides then as for her opinion on what she wants.  That should make it pretty easy....and she is guaranteed to like it!

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

My mom always does Turkey, gravy, succatash, stuffing, cranberrysauce & mashed potatoes with apples & pumpkin pies for dessert. I need something different that wont rock the boat. i keep asking my mom for pointers but shes like "Oh whatsever you want" and "we are fine", most recently shes like do something different. I was playing with Au Gratin but isnt that be more of a Christmas thing with Ham?

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

apple pear pie sounds great but is it too close to apple pie? My mom always does Apple pie.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

We are sharing the holiday with some good friends. My girlfriend is making the rest. I am bringing an apple pear pie, the rolls, the drinks, & sweet potato salad.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Splurge on a pound or two of shrimp, then make a simple cocktail sauce.  I just make it with ketchup and horseradish (just horseradish, not the horseradish that's creamy looking).   Put in enough horseradish until it's hot enough for you.

Or make a dill dip or spinach dip and do a veggie platter.  Make your dips the night before, as they are more flavorful the next day.

If you want another desert, Libby's has a great pumpkin cake roll.  It's like a jelly roll only pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling.  You can find it on Libby's site.

There's always the old standby green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup in it and French's Onion Rings on top, although I've never cared much for it.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

My mom always does Turkey, gravy, succatash, stuffing, cranberrysauce & mashed potatoes with apples & pumpkin pies for dessert. I need something different that wont rock the boat. i keep asking my mom for pointers but shes like "Oh whatsever you want" and "we are fine", most recently shes like do something different. I was playing with Au Gratin but isnt that be more of a Christmas thing with Ham?

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

What's your sweet potato salad recipe, if you don't mind sharing it.  I love sweet potatoes.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Rainbow ring cake.  LInk shows a cake for Easter, but you can adapt/change the colors.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/rainbow-ring-easter-basket-cake/5749bd11-1d96-4f20-b8ec-5df06508fca4

29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Ooey gooey butter cake bars

Or if you are thinking of a veggie, green bean casserole, or scalloped corn.  Those are both yummy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)