Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

'No Tip' Server Lied About Having Cancer, Serving In Afghanistan, Say Friends

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
Dayna Morales talks to WABC 7

Right after a receipt and credit card statement suggested a NJ server's tale about bigoted customers was a hoax, a local newspaper from her hometown started digging into her past. And now the Journal News reportsthat Dayna Morales, "has a reputation for lying," according to former colleagues and friends.

People were rallying around Morales and sending her tips after she shared a photograph of a receipt she got back at her work, NJ restaurant Asian Gallop Bistro. The receipt showed no tip, with the note, "I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life." But then the family came forward saying that they actually did leave a tip, showing their copy of the receipt and a credit card statementthat suggested they were truthful.

According to the Journal News, Morales lied about having cancer, her military service and damage to her home during Hurricane Sandy:

[She told] co-workers she shaved her head because she had brain cancer and later telling them it was her friend who had brain cancer, her colleagues and friends said.

They said she also told co-workers at a day care center where she once worked that Superstorm Sandy severely damaged her home in Stony Point, and sent a boat into her living room. Concerned co-workers dropped by her home and found only minor damage to the carpet by her front door and no sign of a boat, they said...

Morales told people she was a former Marine who was sent to Afghanistan and that everyone in her platoon died in an explosion except her, [a co-worker and a friend] said. The explosion left her with back injuries that required surgery and a couple of months to recover, Larkin said Morales told her employer. But during her time off, Morales posted photos of herself on Facebook enjoying a trip to Florida with a girlfriend, they said.

Though a military spokesman confirmed Morales did serve in the Marines, he added, "There is no indication of combat service in Iraq or Afghanistan."

Ex-co-worker Julie Howat told the Journal News, "Every story she comes up with has a lie... Any tragedy that happened, she had to be a part of it. She needed sympathy and empathy." This time, Howat said, "It’s like she’s taking it to a whole other level. Now you’re lying to people to get their money. It’s not even for sympathy now."

When she was confronted by the family's claim that they did tip her, Morales said the handwriting on the receipt wasn't hers. But the Journal News spoke to an ex-girlfriend who said that it looked Morales' writing.

Morales is no longer responding to requests for comment, but the restaurant owners say they're investigating the allegation.

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm, not a stretch to think she's lying about the tip.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

You should post this in CE&HT

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

She is a hot mess.

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds like she has a mental health problem. I've known a few pathological liars like this and they all had underlying issues/diagnosis.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Wow, there is a special place in Hell for people that lie about having cancer - that is inexcusable in my book.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:33 AM

She sounds very unstable.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

This is NOT a mental health issue. This is a person exploting the situation. 

jcrew6
by Jenney on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

She sounds very unstable.

I don't think so. She sounds like a dumb ass who thinks she can exploit situations.
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope she is fired immediately. She has also brought a lot of bad publicity to the establishment and the family she accused ot not tipping.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I bet she brought a ton of new business to the restaurant. Curiosity seekers, those wanting her to serve them and tip her, etc.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

I hope she is fired immediately. She has also brought a lot of bad publicity to the establishment and the family she accused ot not tipping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)