Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hot Black Friday Deal Turns Shoppers Into Enraged Lunatics (VIDEO)

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hot Black Friday Deal Turns Shoppers Into Enraged Lunatics (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

Just hours after they probably sliced into turkeys, toasted the holiday, and gave thanks for everything wonderful in their lives, some eager shoppers said "to hell with graciousness" and elbowed their way into packed stores to -- literally -- battle it out over hot items. So, which piece of merchandise stood out as the one most worthy of slaying crowds to conquer? No, not iPads or a laptop (my guess) and not even that precious Elmo doll that promises your child a lifetime of hugs and affection.

It's still way too early on Black Friday to declare this the item of the season, but the one that has (so far) brought out the worst in people is...

...the television set. 

Yawn?

But, it's true! At one Wal-Mart in North Carolina, a shopper says he was kicked out of the store after videotaping 50 or so shoppers pushing and shoving each other while trying to get their hands on one of the many flat-screen TV's that Wal-Mart had marked down considerably. In the vid, one woman can be heard screaming "Oh my God!" and a shop worker seems to be trying to help another woman who had been trampled on in the middle of the TV-obsessed mob.

TV mania was also reported in New Jersey, where yet another Wal-Mart shopper was arrested on Thanksgiving night because he argued with a store manager over a television set.

What could there be to argue about? You're getting a huge TV for $98 -- you should be penning handwritten notes of thanks to these shop workers for sacrificing their holidays in order to deal with your consumer madness. According to police, the 23-year-old shopper was charged with aggravated assault on an police officer, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest. He has to appear in court today, which is surely punishment enough for a person who would much rather be shopping again.

I get that the deals are amazing, but watching this video only proves to me that Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping are so not worth it:

Did you shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday? See anything wacky?

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I just came back from Black Friday shopping (in a small Texas town). Most of the big deals were still at wal mart AND everyone was very nice, patiently waiting and not being idiots. I got my husbands gifts, in and out in 23 min. Lol.. I wasn't expecting to go out(usually don't). But my daughter wanted to experience a Black Friday. So, I drove 35 miles to a small town instead of heading into the city.
JustCJ
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

We stood in the xbox line for 3 hours. I got the wrist band for the 98 dollar tv (for my 12 year old) the line for the tv's was the most insane thing I've ever seen until I saw the line for the tablets. After we got our xbox's (we were 5th in line) I went to the tv line and dh went to the line for the 8 oclock tablets $49 bux. He was # 30 I believe. We stood there for another 3 hours because they had to move the line because it went into the parking lot. I won't ever do it again...this was my first year. NOPE can't make me.

Quoting jcrew6:

I just came back from Black Friday shopping (in a small Texas town). Most of the big deals were still at wal mart AND everyone was very nice, patiently waiting and not being idiots. I got my husbands gifts, in and out in 23 min. Lol.. I wasn't expecting to go out(usually don't). But my daughter wanted to experience a Black Friday. So, I drove 35 miles to a small town instead of heading into the city.

lwalker270
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

It's just not worth it to me to get in that kind of melee.

Now I love getting a deal as much as the next girl and scored some today, but I went AFTER the chaos had died down and there were hardly any people in the stores we went to.  

kcangel63
by Amanda on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
We went to Walmart for bread and brown sugar. Thankfully we live in the middle of nowhere so it looked like any other day. Pretty empty.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Quoting JustCJ:

We stood in the xbox line for 3 hours. I got the wrist band for the 98 dollar tv (for my 12 year old) the line for the tv's was the most insane thing I've ever seen until I saw the line for the tablets. After we got our xbox's (we were 5th in line) I went to the tv line and dh went to the line for the 8 oclock tablets $49 bux. He was # 30 I believe. We stood there for another 3 hours because they had to move the line because it went into the parking lot. I won't ever do it again...this was my first year. NOPE can't make me.

Quoting jcrew6:

LOL..my kids "years" ago spent the night in a parking lot with their friends and their  parents among other people (tents and all) for an x box.. Kids WONT EVER do it again..and no they didn't get their xbox either..

JustCJ
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh man we got everything we set out for. But much of it is online today for the same price.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting jcrew6:

LOL..my kids "years" ago spent the night in a parking lot with their friends and their  parents among other people (tents and all) for an x box.. Kids WONT EVER do it again..and no they didn't get their xbox either..

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Stuff isn't important.  Didn't go shopping on Black Friday.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I don't do black friday. I am usually done all my xmas shopping by the first week of November. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)