Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Baby not covered under ObamaCare family plan

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 67 Replies

This baby’s not on board with ObamaCare.

Long Islander Cornelius Kelly found it would be no problem to secure a family plan for his wife and three older kids through New York’s health-care exchange, but his 18-month-old daughter was out in the cold. The baby would need her own insurance policy.

“I couldn’t believe what I was being told,” said the dad from East Quogue, in Suffolk.

Kelly said he was no fan of the Affordable Care Act, but when he received notice a few weeks ago that his current insurance plan was being canceled, he tried the New York State of Health Web site.

Kelly, 41, and his wife, Jennifer, 42, are self-employed and have always had to buy their own insurance. Kelly runs a title insurance business in Westhampton, and his wife is a pediatrician in private practice in Miller Place. “I initially went on with a lot of optimism,” he said.

Kelly said none of the plans offered out-of-network coverage, which was something he wanted. But even worse, they only covered his three older children, who are 3, 5 and 6.

When Kelly called a representative, he was told his daughter had to be 2 before she could be covered under a family plan. He would have to buy a separate plan for her, at monthly premiums that ranged between $117.21 and $369.31. The cost would be on top of a family plan with premiums ranging from $810.84 to $2,554.71 a month.

Kelly said he had been paying about $1,000 a month.

Unwilling to put his daughter on a separate policy, Kelly found a family plan in the private marketplace for about $1,250 a month.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustCJ
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

So in other words, he had no CHOICE but to go to the exchange and get a family plan? That because of the PPACA rules and regulations, his old policy holder would have to wait till his child was 2? Wow...unbelievable. And his premium went up $250 a month under the exchange. 

Who was saying the insurance companies were in on this? 

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Doesn't it say he went to the private market and got insurance? He didn't not get it through the exchange.

Why is no one mad the insurance companies? So many of them refuse to provide services like birth control and OB services. Which Is why they are having to cancel plans. They don't want to adhere to the stipulations of insurance regulations.

Quoting JustCJ:

So in other words, he had no CHOICE but to go to the exchange and get a family plan? That because of the PPACA rules and regulations, his old policy holder would have to wait till his child was 2? Wow...unbelievable. And his premium went up $250 a month under the exchange. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Read the last sentence in the OP.

Quoting JustCJ:

JustCJ
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Woops I had it backwards...so under the exchange he couldn't insure his kid? haha What a bunch of fuckery this is.

Quoting stringtheory:

Quoting JustCJ:

JustCJ
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm sure I can afford a $30 pack of birth control more than 1250 a month including a 6000 deductable....jus saying.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Doesn't it say he went to the private market and got insurance? He didn't not get it through the exchange.

Why is no one mad the insurance companies? So many of them refuse to provide services like birth control and OB services. Which Is why they are having to cancel plans. They don't want to adhere to the stipulations of insurance regulations.

Quoting JustCJ:

Sparta.
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM
wow
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

That's insane. Our kids have always been covered under our insurance from birth. I have never heard of them having to wait until 2 years of age. Something's not right.

stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, still ridiculous. I wonder what the reasoning for plans on the exchange not covering under the age of two on a family plan? Stupid.

Quoting JustCJ:

Woops I had it backwards...so under the exchange he couldn't insure his kid? haha What a bunch of fuckery this is.

Quoting stringtheory:

Quoting JustCJ:

stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Do you have a link or the source for this, OP?
JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

That doesn't even make sense. Why am I not surprised?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)