Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

YMCA swim class for Muslim girls proves Sharia law is ‘changing everything’

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 21 Replies

Fox News: YMCA swim class for Muslim girls proves Sharia law is ‘changing everything’

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:34 EST
Fox News anchor Heather Nauert

Fox News anchor Heather Nauert announced on Monday that a YMCA swim class that respected the religious traditions of Muslim girls was proof that “Sharia law is now changing everything.”

The Minneapolis StarTribune reported last week that the downtown St. Paul YMCA had teamed up with the St. Paul police department to teach a group of Somali-American girls to swim. To respect the religious traditions and modesty of the girls — ages 5 to 17 — men were not allowed in the pool area during the one-hour class.

But for the Fox News host, this was a sign that Sharia law was creeping in “towns across the Midwest.”

“Well, the minority becoming the majority at one community pool,” Nauert pointed out on Monday. “Sharia law is now changing everything.”

“Similar classes are now starting at towns across the Midwest. We’ll keep watching this story for you,” she concluded.

Watch this video from Fox News’ Fox & Friends, broadcast Dec. 2, 2013.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/02/fox-news-ymca-swim-class-for-muslim-girls-proves-sharia-law-is-changing-everything/

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If they are renting the pool out for a price and a private function I don't care. If its during public times I would have a problem with it

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to work at a roller skating rink when I was in high school.  The orthodox Jews would occasionally take over the rink at a normally closed time for the rink, and have a free skate for boys only (the girls were never included).

This is probably similar.  

just_hc
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't think anything of it if they offered "girl only" or "boy only" swim classes that didn't single out a certain religion.   I'm sure lots of girls would be more comfortable if there were not boys in the pool.   

JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for them. I like the idea of same sex swimming for those that are very modest. I don't see an issue here but I have a feeling that many will.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

There is nothing wrong with them offering a class to a specific group in need, and imposing rules to honor their beliefs, imo.

Edited to add that this is especially true if others are not being denied in order to do so. The fathers and other male family members of these girls would have no problem with complying with the rule, and if your daughter or family member isn't in the class, then a man shouldn't be there watching them any way.
gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Why? I don't see anything wrong with making it a "girl" only class, and most male family members are probably in agreement that they don't want some strange man watching his daughter while she is in the pool. Its a one hour class, and is no different from restricting children from a public pool for an adult swim, or anything similar.  All girls will not be required to sign up for this class, and the family members of the girls who do, respect the rights of the other girls as they respect the rights of their own daughters. Who will be denied here, some creep who likes to watch little girls in their bathing suits? I personally find it very offensive to see full grown men oggling little girls and young women and no doubt most girls would be more comfortable taking lessons in a gender specific class.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

If they are renting the pool out for a price and a private function I don't care. If its during public times I would have a problem with it

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM
if its public swimming anyone goes

Quoting gludwig2000:

Why? I don't see anything wrong with making it a "girl" only class, and most male family members are probably in agreement that they don't want some strange man watching his daughter while she is in the pool. Its a one hour class, and is no different from restricting children from a public pool for an adult swim, or anything similar.  All girls will not be required to sign up for this class, and the family members of the girls who do, respect the rights of the other girls as they respect the rights of their own daughters. Who will be denied here, some creep who likes to watch little girls in their bathing suits? I personally find it very offensive to see full grown men oggling little girls and young women and no doubt most girls would be more comfortable taking lessons in a gender specific class.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
if its public swimming anyone goes

Quoting gludwig2000:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
So, if they offered a class or designated an hour towards pregnant moms, you would also object? Or what if they try to schedule classes for toddlers at a certain time and put an age restriction on preventing teenagers and adolescents into the pool at the same time? I personally don't see what the big deal is to resrict males from the area for an hour, and if they want, they can place the same restriction on females for an hour to give boys the pool, but that is me.
Quoting numbr1wmn: if its public swimming anyone goes

Quoting gludwig2000:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

parrishsky
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Why is it so hard to respect every faith? And not assume one or another is taking over the world?... This is just a simple swim class. smh

It's really quite absurd to think this way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)