Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Guns, Violent Crime & Financial Inequality - the answer!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

GunPolicy.org estimates there are approximately 90,000 guns in the Iceland - in a country with just over 300,000 people.

The country ranks 15th in the world in terms of legal per capita gun ownership.

Iceland's homicide rate between 1999-2009 never went above 1.8 per 100,000 population on any given year.

(the US had homicide rates between 5.0 and 5.8 per 100,000 population during that same stretch.)

there is virtually no difference among upper, middle and lower classes in Iceland. And with that, tension between economic classes is non-existent, a rare occurrence for any country.

A study of the Icelandic class system done by a University of Missouri master's student found only 1.1% of participants identified themselves as upper class, while 1.5% saw themselves as lower class.

The remaining 97% identified themselves as upper-middle class, lower-middle class, or working class.

"Here you can have the tycoon's children go to school with everyone else," Sigurdsson says, adding that the country's social welfare and education systems promoted an egalitarian culture.

(SOURCE)

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:14 AM
3 moms liked this

I think what you're saying is that we should make our society racially homogeneous like Iceland's. Which would mean expelling all those who are not white.

Momniscient
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM
5 moms liked this
Wow. This is amazingly dense even for you...

Quoting SallyMJ:

I think what you're saying is that we should make our society racially homogeneous like Iceland's. Which would mean expelling all those who are not white.

Another brilliant idea, Celestial. You are on a roll.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM
5 moms liked this

So you are saying that Iceland is not actually the most racially homogenous country in the Western hemisphere?

And that this is not a significant factor as to why Iceland, Switzerland, and the Scandinavian countries have some of the lowest violent crime rates in the world - as stated in the majority of other studies?

Irrespective of this article, that only cites politically correct economic reasons?

You are aware that the US is probably the most racially diverse country in the world - which unfortunately is linked to a higher homicide rate?

And that unfortunately, half of all murders in the US are committed by blacks?

And that the violent crime rate in the UK is FOUR TIMES as high as in the US - even though they have fewer gus?

So you purposely limit your knowledge base to one-sided articles on CM??

And purposely don't use critical thinking?

Wow. That is amazingly dense even for you.

Quoting Momniscient: Wow. This is amazingly dense even for you...

Quoting SallyMJ:

Momniscient
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Please post your studies.
I'd like to read the studies that put 'race' as a deciding factor in low violence over socioeconomics.

I'd be very interested to read the research you speak of but my guess is it comes from the blaze, guncite, or Zimmerman.com
Is love to read the 'majority of other studies' you speak of...

Quoting SallyMJ:

So you are saying that Iceland is not actually the most racially homogenous country in the Western hemisphere?

And that this is not a significant factor as to why Iceland, Switzerland, and the Scandinavian countries have some of the lowest violent crime rates in the world - as stated in the majority of other studies?

Irrespective of this article, that only cites politically correct economic reasons?

You are aware that the US is probably the most racially diverse country in the world - which unfortunately is linked to a higher homicide rate?

And that unfortunately, half of all murders in the US are committed by blacks?

And that the violent crime rate in the UK is FOUR TIMES as high as in the US - even though they have fewer gus?

So you purposely limit your knowledge base to one-sided articles on CM??

And purposely don't use critical thinking?

Wow. That is amazingly dense even for you.

Quoting Momniscient: Wow. This is amazingly dense even for you...

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Quoting SallyMJ:

I debunked that claim the first few times it was made on this group.   Go search for the previous threads if you're interested.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Quoting SallyMJ:

I think what you're saying is that we should make our society racially homogeneous like Iceland's.

Ignoring your snide way of raising that question...

I agree that that's a factor that's different between the USA and Iceland.   One of many.

The question is how important a factor is it?

I disagree that the USA is the most diverse in the world.   India is far more diverse, as was the USSR when it existed.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 3:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I debunked those claims of yours.

Go search for my responses to you, if you're interested.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SallyMJ:

I debunked that claim the first few times it was made on this group.   Go search for the previous threads if you're interested.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM
3 moms liked this

So you are implying we should ignore the implications of our statements? And that it is wrong for us to challenge each other about illogical arguments we may make here on this discussion forum? What do you think a discussion forum is for, if not to discuss?

Why would you confuse disagreement with a "snide" attitude? That's not logical.

I guess it depends on what we mean by diverse, and on what time period we are referring (ie, The USSR doesn't exist anymore).You may be right about India.

"The question is how important a factor is it?" - I agree with that - meaning we need to look at all possible factors.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SallyMJ:

I think what you're saying is that we should make our society racially homogeneous like Iceland's.

Ignoring your snide way of raising that question...

I agree that that's a factor that's different between the USA and Iceland.   One of many.

The question is how important a factor is it?

I disagree that the USA is the most diverse in the world.   India is far more diverse, as was the USSR when it existed.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Dec. 4, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Celestial? Not even in this thread. Are you alright?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 3:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

Why would you confuse disagreement with a "snide" attitude?

The way you stated your disagreement, implying it HAD to be due to race, and therefore I HAD to be in favour of ethnic cleansing of the USA was deliberate.

Designed, I think, to sidetrack this thread onto talking about race, rather than pointing the finger at underlying socio-economic causes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)