Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Putting Christ Back in Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 32 Replies

What Do We Mean By 'Putting Christ Back in Christmas'?

Brace yourselves. The calendar has turned over to December, which means that the inevitable discussion on the War on Christmas will soon see its opening salvo for 2013.   

Details of stained glass window depicting baby Jesus at Christmas. Nancy Bauer / Shutterstock

It is inevitable. There will be an outrage by a prominent figure about how we have lost our moral fabric because as someone was buying gifts with money they dont have to impress people that they dont always like, the cashier will commit the unthinkable sin of wishing us a Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

There will be gnashing of teeth as a town or city somewhere will have a Holiday Parade rather than a Christmas Parade, as Tulsa had done several years ago. (The parade was subsequently boycotted by one of its senators.)

The chorus of those who would profess to be Christians will shout that the Political Correctness Police have overstepped yet another boundary and that we should not take the Christ out of Christmas” as the batch of perceived slights against Christendom freshly reveal themselves for this holiday season. 

As a person who would say that Jesus is the most important thing in my life, who has devoted my life to the service of Gods Kingdom, and spends all of my waking moments trying be faithful to that devotion, I have to ask: What exactly do we mean by putting the Christ back in Christmas'? 

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we recognize that our fellow humans are just as much beloved children of God as we are, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we recognize that the humility of Christ compelled him to love those who were considered unlovable, serve those who were considered unfit to be served, take on the unwanted task of washing the disciples feet, and bear the punishment that we deserved by willingly accepting the cross, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.   

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we understand that our empty words of proclaiming the gospel without demonstrating Gods love for people through service and social justice is the modern day equivalent of a noisy gong or clanging cymbal, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas. 

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we understand our actions of service and social justice often fall short of the Great Commission because we fail to understand the reason why we serve, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we realize that Christ did not die on the cross and rise so we can fulfill a self-imposed sense of ritualism or obligation by attending weekly services, but rather He wants, demands, and deserves to have our lives serve as living sacrifices, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we abandon our perceived and petty outrages and focus on actual instances of persecution, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we quit focusing on certain words and phrases that are said by our politicians, retailers, and public figures and remember that God is more concerned with our heart, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we encourage our spiritual leaders to be less concerned about the institution of the church and more concerned about the mission of the church, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If by putting Christ back in Christmas you mean we separate the false doctrine of linking monetary success to Gods blessing and remember that in Gods economy the needy are provided for, then lets put the Christ back in Christmas.  

If our plan is to do anything less than this, then the only thing that I have to say is this: Happy Holidays.  

Phillip Larsen is a follower of Christ and a member of West Metro Community Church in Yukon, Okla. He is the author of Suit Up. He also blogs at larsenphillip.wordpress.com.

Nancy Bauer / Shutterstock

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
6 moms liked this

I like the idea that you posted.. : )

We shouldn't have to put Christ back into Christmas..it's already there.   He can say his happy holidays..I'll stick with (again) what's already there.. CHRISTMAS.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

We shouldn't have to put Christ back into Christmas..it's already there.   He can say his happy holidays..I'll stick with (again) what's already there.. CHRISTMAS.

Christmas is also a secular holiday.  Christians can freely celebrate and worship and hopefully, follow the teachings of their faith.  There's no war on Christmas until that can't happen.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If that's your misperception, sure.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Christmas is also a secular holiday.  Christians can freely celebrate and worship and hopefully, follow the teachings of their faith.  There's no war on Christmas until that can't happen.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Christ hasn't been taken out of Christmas. Still there. 

Du calme!

jean_marie1987
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:15 AM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't matter to me if someone says Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. People will celebrate this time of year however they celebrate; what does that have to do with how I celebrate.
I agree, there is no war on Christmas.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

PamR
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

BUMP!

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Blessed Yule :)

JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Happy Holidays is what is polite to say if you do not know the religion/beliefs of the person you are talking to. It is impolite to just assume ones Religious affiliation atleast without just cause. Christmas is a Christian Holiday and it would be rude, inconsiderate and incorrect to just simply assume that every one is Christian. We live in a melting pot of many cultures, religions & traditions so I believe that "Happy Holidays" is most fitting, unless you know who you are talking to.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

It's a war on Christ... Christmas is just the season to which anti Jesus people deem to attack..

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Dec. 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Need I say more.

New Billboard in NYC Says ‘Nobody’ Needs ‘Christ During Christmas’

Just as millions of Americans are preparing to commemorate Jesus’ birth, a secular activist group is once again taking aim at the traditional purpose for the holiday season, asking in a new digital billboard: ”Who needs Christ during Christmas?”

American Atheists, an activist group known for posting its controversial messages on billboards across the nation, unveiled its latest anti-Christmas ad this week in New York City’s Times Square — a 40′ by 40′ display that is sure to rile critics concerned over the so-called “War on Christmas.”

After asking “Who needs Christ,” the digital billboard shows a hand crossing out Jesus’ name with a marker and text that answers the curiosity with a one word answer — “Nobody.” The next graphic tells viewers to “Celebrate the true meaning of XMAS.”

This “true meaning,” according to the billboard, includes charity, family, friends and food — all secular elements that are associated with Christmas. It concludes with the more general “Happy Holidays” greeting.

Christmas Is Better Without Christ: Atheists Take Their Anti Christmas Message to NYCs Times Square

Credit: American Atheists

A press release announcing the new billboard noted that its purpose is to declare that “Christmas is better without Christ.”

“This season is a great time of year for a hundred reasons — none of them having to do with religion,” American Atheists President David Silverman said in the release. “This year, start a new tradition: Don’t go to church. You hate it, it’s boring; you probably only go because you feel guilty or obligated. Instead, spend more time with your family and friends — or volunteer. There are better uses of your time and money.”

American Atheists’ Public Relations Director Dave Muscato went on to say that he believes most individuals aren’t concerned with religious ties during the holiday season and that fun, family and friends are really what observers care about.

Ads by Coupon Companion Plugin. More Info | Hide These Ads

The 15-second ad is running three times every hour and will be shown in a separate location near New York City’s Penn Station starting next week.

“We all love this time of year. Christianity has been trying to claim ownership of the season for hundreds of years,” Silverman added. “But the winter solstice came first and so did its traditions. The season belongs to everybody.”

Watch the digital billboard below:

Anti-Christmas ads are a tradition for American Atheists. In 2010, the group posted a message in New Jersey calling the Christmas story “a myth” (The Catholic League erected a response). And in 2011, American Atheists followed that up with another campaign, featuring Jesus, Satan and Santa.

Last year, the group’s 2012 “Keep the Merry! Dump the Myth!” ad elevated the controversy the group regularly ignites by providing an image of Santa with a photo of Jesus suffering on the cross. The “merry” corresponded to the traditional Christmas mascot, with “myth” (in caps) presented beneath the Christian savior’s picture, clearly in reference to Jesus’ death.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)