Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Does the GOP have a "women problem?"

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 51 Replies

Republicans Finally Realize They Need Serious Help Talking to Women -- Duh!

by Maressa Brown

grand old partyFor several years, Republicans have had an elephant in the room sitting on their chances of winning the hearts and minds of the majority of Americans ... Yup, it's their "women problem," which House Speaker John Boehner finally owned up to today! "Some of our members just aren't as sensitive as they ought to be," Boehner noted. And according to a report from Politico, his actions speak even louder than his words: Boehner aides have been gathering with GOP staffers to help them fine-tune their messaging to women. Ha.

Well, in an effort to tackle this ginormous problem, perhaps they may want to review some of the most recent, misogynistic gaffes their fellow party members have delivered! Here, six of the most cringe-worthy quotes Republican representatives have hurled at the ladies and that are now costing them big in elections ...

1. The one about legitimate rape - Who could forget when Rep. Todd Akins (R-MO) was trying to beat incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) and declared, "From what I understand from doctors, pregnancy from rape is "really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down"? Ah yes, we all know how well that offensive remark worked for him at the polls!
  2. The one about rape pregnancies being all good - Senate candidate Richard Mourdock of Indiana really won women over when he said pregnancies from rape are "something that God intended to happen." 
  3. The one about hormone levels - Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) blamed the 26,000 sexual assaults that occurred in the military in 2012 on "hormone levels." Face palm.
  4. The one about America needing to be punished for abortion - Virginia Attorney General and gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli must've won lots of lady votes (eye roll) with this quote: “Really, given that God does judge nations, it’s amazing that abortion has run as far and foully as it has, without what I would consider to be a greater imposition of judgment on this country. Who knows what the future holds?”
  5. Another one about how women can't get pregnant from rape - Just before Idaho's Senate passed a mandatory ultrasound bill last week, the bill sponsor, state Sen. Chuck Winder (R), said, "I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that's part of the counseling that goes on.”
  6. The one where the politician compares women to cows, pigs, and chicken - State Rep. Terry England was speaking in favor of HB 954, which makes it illegal to obtain an abortion after 20 weeks even if the woman is known to be carrying a stillborn fetus or the baby is otherwise not expected to live to term. He then recalled his time working on a farm, explaining, “Life gives us many experiences ... I’ve had the experience of delivering calves, dead and alive. Delivering pigs, dead or alive. It breaks our hearts to see those animals not make it.”

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Hey, this is just a stab in the dark from a lowly, pea-brained woman, but could it be that the GOP's problem isn't only Foot in the Mouth Disease? Perhaps it can't be cured with media training a la Team Boehner? Maybe just maybe this is all a sign that it's time for a change.

Like updating the party's platform to something that looks more in tune with the 21st century and turning the focus away from debates on rape, contraception, and abortion -- issues that most Americans and the law of the land have already come to terms with half a century ago? Maybe then more women would run as and elect Republicans. Problem solved! But err, nah, just keep working that "How to Be More Sensitive With the Gentler Sex 101" angle ... I'm sure that'll do wonders for the party image!

Do you feel like the GOP has a "women problem"? What do you think they could do to fix it?

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this

No, I really don't. I'm sure I can find an equal amount or more of equally outrageous statements made by dems very easily. If you just want stupid statements, period, not just about women, made by dems it's even easier. Pelosi, was sermon-Schultz, Sheila Jackson Lee, Maxine Waters make some doozies on a regular basis.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM
3 moms liked this

This exactly.  And that list of stupid statements are very few compared to the number of republicans in general.   

Quoting DSamuels:

No, I really don't. I'm sure I can find an equal amount or more of equally outrageous statements made by dems very easily. If you just want stupid statements, period, not just about women, made by dems it's even easier. Pelosi, was sermon-Schultz, Sheila Jackson Lee, Maxine Waters make some doozies on a regular basis.

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I think the things they say are publicized more. There has been a lot of stupid crap coming from the mouths of members of both parties. I think the problem is that both sides are hung up on issues, on winning elections and on making the other side look bad. They are forgetting what they are actually supposed to be doing. They are more concerned with keeping their jobs than with doing their jobs. So they keep shooting off at the mouth about issues without thinking about how people are going to feel about them when they hear what they say. I think the perception of Republicans is exactly what the Democrats want it to be. I don't think most of them really feel that way.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Very well said. 

Quoting motherslove82:

I think the things they say are publicized more. There has been a lot of stupid crap coming from the mouths of members of both parties. I think the problem is that both sides are hung up on issues, on winning elections and on making the other side look bad. They are forgetting what they are actually supposed to be doing. They are more concerned with keeping their jobs than with doing their jobs. So they keep shooting off at the mouth about issues without thinking about how people are going to feel about them when they hear what they say. I think the perception of Republicans is exactly what the Democrats want it to be. I don't think most of them really feel that way.

JustCJ
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM
9 moms liked this

The real war on women is in the opposite camp. The really sad part of that is, the women are actually helping them along, and they don't even realize it. The liberals are just good at glossing over and deflecting.

One must also understand people misspeak, when trying to say what they are thinking. Like in the case of the (R) that said pregnancy from rape is really rare. Well yeh if you're looking at it from a pro-life point of view, the vast majority of pregnancies aren't the result of rape, thus they are more rare. It doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to get what he really meant. But hey, who am I to say? Millions of liberal women everywhere, didn't understand it and got all butthurt.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting DSamuels:

I'm sure I can find an equal amount or more of equally outrageous statements made by dems very easily. 

Go for it.    Let's hear what you've got.

poietes
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Don't forget "say it ain't so Joe" which is why Obama never lets him talk.

Quoting DSamuels:

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting DSamuels:

I'm sure I can find an equal amount or more of equally outrageous statements made by dems very easily. 

Go for it.    Let's hear what you've got.

Here's some

"Those who died in the earthquake, their lives will never be the same again." - Barbara Boxer

"I believe that gays and lesbians deserve to have the same rights as homosexuals." - Rev. Al Sharpton in 2002

"Outside of the killings, we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country." - Marion Barry, mayor of Washington, D.C.

"But I don't know that she's ever had a real job — I mean, since she's been grown up." -- Teresa Heinz-Kerry on First Lady Laura Bush, a former teacher and librarian

"He's been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day-care facilities,... and these people are extremely grateful." - Democratic Senator Patty Murray on Osama bin Laden

"I will stand up and struggle, as others have, to try to get that right balance between violence, and sex, ... and things." - John Kerry on ABC News

"A zebra does not change its spots." - Al Gore, attacking President George Bush in 1992

"African Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."

-- Bill Clinton, former president of the United States, on Black Entertainment Television.

packermom4ever
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

No, I don't.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM
5 moms liked this

This is a good one from pelosi

1. No Spending Problem Here

"It is almost a false argument to say we have a spending problem. We have a budget deficit problem that we have to address."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN