Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Nursing Mom Kicked Out of Court in State Where Breastfeeding Is Legal Everywhere?!

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 4 Replies

Nursing Mom Kicked Out of Court in State Where Breastfeeding Is Legal Everywhere

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

danielle geldronOver the years, we've heard our fair share of stories of moms getting kicked out of places for breastfeeding. There have been stores, pools, and places of work, to name a few. But in a deliciously ironic twist, new mom Danielle Gendron was kicked out of a courtroom recently for breastfeeding her 3-month-old son. Gendron was there to testify in a case, but never made it up to the stand, because she was asked to leave for feeding her baby. The ironic part? The courtroom she was kicked out of was in Connecticut. And Connecticut is one of 45 states, and the District of Columbia, that have passed statutes allowing women to breastfeed in any public or private location. If this were Idaho or Michigan, it would kind of be understandable (not right, but understandable), but Connecticut? A place were mothers legally should have a right to breastfeed? If you can't nurse in the building that makes these things legal, where can you nurse?!

According to Gendron, a family court marshal waved her out after she started feeding her newborn son, Maddox. "I went to feed him and the marshal ... immediately just waved me out," Gendron said. "That's never happened to me so I wasn't sure she was speaking to me at first so I kind of looked around and she was like, you know, get out." After a local news station got wind of what happened, they contacted the courthouse and were told that the marshal was in error and the state law was re-enforced not only to that marshal, but also to all the other marshals there at the court house. It will be re-enforced to marshals all across the state.

So, ultimately, the problem here wasn't with the law -- this was evidently just an error. But perhaps educating (or re-educating) all employees of all governments and businesses on the policies regarding breastfeeding would help normalize it. Now not only was a mother humiliated in a room full of people, other people were made to think that public breastfeeding is "wrong" and shouldn't be happening. No, it doesn't need to be in people's faces 24/7 (and there are discreet ways to do it), but the fact is, the more people see it, the less they'll care about. And then maybe women will have an easier time nursing.

Did/do you breastfeed in public?

Click here for video from WTNH

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KatLee42513
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Oh the irony...
JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM

That is bull. I didn't breastfeed in public but support those that do. It wasnt fair having to drag both kids to the car to feed and spending 40 minutes there sometimes when we could be getting stuff done. it was hott and uncomfortable. People should become more exceptable of it or stop pushing it on moms! Many hospitals stopped giving away the the free formula & bags and whatnot as to not entice mom too much yet they make it impossible to go about your buisness while Breastfeeing... its bull! I understand this was a mistake but it was at a courthouse... what does that say! Come on!

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't get why people have issues with nursing in public. You can't see anything. I wear a few layers when I nurse and I have never flashed anybody. 

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't breastfeed in public but I don't have a problem with it.  I don't see in the article where the marshal directly said she was kicked out for breastfeeding though.  I know I've been in a courtroom where a lady was told she couldn't have a baby in there and the judge asked her to leave because the baby could cause a disturbance.  Just wondering if this was a similar incident and the mother assumed it was because she started breastfeeding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN