Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Teacher tells black student he can’t dress as Santa during the holidays because ‘Santa is white’

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 33 Replies
Students at Cleveland High School were instructed that they could dress up as Santa, elves or reindeer. But when the black student teen chose to be Santa Clause, he was called out for the color of his skin, according to KOB 4. 

The parent of the teen, Michael Rougier, recalled the incident, “Christopher, don’t you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?”

When he  learned of the teacher’s reaction to his child because he showed up to school wearing a Santa hat and beard, he was livid.

Rougier said, “There’s no room for that in the classroom. Whether this teacher felt Christopher may have been wearing this out of context, there’s no room for it. There’s just no room for it.”

According to a spokesperson for Rio Rancho Public Schools, the Cleveland High School teacher knows he made a “dumb” mistake, andhe has since apologized to the Rougier family.

But according to the Rougier family, they didn’t even hear about the incident until another parent called them.

The parent asked, “If he has that attitude, how is it affecting students, studies, grading habits, trending toward Caucasian kids?”

KOB 4 reports, “Ninth grader Christopher now doesn’t want to put the costume back on. He felt ashamed and embarrassed. But his parents want him to know there’s nothing wrong with what he did, and they want to see change in that classroom.”

Rougier said, “If it’s not for parents like me that’s part of interracial families to say, it’s time to stop this… it’s time to stop. I have to fight for my boys.”

According to the school district, the teacher has been disciplined although they won’t say how, but he is still teaching at Cleveland High School but Christopher has been removed from his class.

Watch courtesy of KOB:

The ‘teacher’ should feel embarrassed, not Christopher.

by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Wonder if shes related to megyn
Cafe Steph
Come join the fun NOW!
Yesterday at 9:00 PM
Truebies! Come Watch & Discuss Episode 4 TONIGHT at 9pm ET! - CafeMom

Episode 4 of the final season of "True Blood" airs this Sunday at 9pm ET on HBO.Meet us here to watch the show and

by Head Admin on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM
5 moms liked this

It's sad to me that the author of this story kept using "Clause" instead of "Claus."

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Unless there is a lot more to the story that's crazy.

Can the kid not wear the jersey (dress up) of his favorite athlete if he happens to be white?

shuturpiehole
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Why were they dressing up as Christmas Charachters? Did they also dress up as Pagan representations for Yule, or Jewish representations for Hannukah?

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

What a horrible teacher.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Ok..

Its ok to mock black people on Halloween with the black face costume.Yet a black student cant dress up like Santa whom he admired since childhood?

As a parent(also an IR family) I would have been livid with this teacher,and at that school in a heart beat.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha, nice catch. To tell you the truth I did not even notice that.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

It's sad to me that the author of this story kept using "Clause" instead of "Claus."

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

SMH, that teacher should be ashamed of himself, but at least he  realizes what he did was wrong. That poor kid, to be called out like that, smh. It is seemingly small things like this that really mess with a kids head but most people don't realize it.

blueforewolf
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

exactly

Quoting shuturpiehole:

Why were they dressing up as Christmas Charachters? Did they also dress up as Pagan representations for Yule, or Jewish representations for Hannukah?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Quoting shuturpiehole:

There is always one in every crowd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)