Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Orthodox Jews Prep for Knock Out Attacks with Defense Classes

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 38 Replies

16 Dec 2013, 5:50 AM PDT

Last week a group of Orthodox Jews prepared for "knock out" attacks in a class held in a synagogue basement.  Thirty people gathered to be trained in the art of krav maga, an Israeli martial art at the Young Israel of Queens Valley Synagogue.

Instructor Avraham Avramcheyiv explained "The knockout game is a terrible thing, but not a lot of people know about it.  "People these days are naive and unaware of what’s going on around them. The most important thing to focus on is being aware of your surroundings."

Residents in the neighborhood are concerned about the attacks. 

Female student Sigalit Nissanov, 33, noted, "You never think this type of thing is going to happen to you. No one expects to be punched randomly in the street.

When I heard about the woman who got punched a few blocks from here, I was mortified. It made me want to take some action."

"It’s frightening to me,’" said computer analyst Henry Moscovic, 62. "People should be aware if it. I know some men and women got hurt pretty badly.

"There’s no purpose or rhetoric to these assaults,’" he said. "It’s a very random thing. I don’t know what to make of it. Why would anyone take pleasure in hurting people? I think these kids are bored, and they are looking for kicks."

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Another example of how Orthodox Jews tend to be conservative.

And other Jews tend to be lib/progs.

News flash.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Good that they are trying to prepare themselves. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

They would be really prepared with a CCW.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Good that they are trying to prepare themselves. 

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Way to take control!! Very smart! Good for them!

collectivecow
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

This doesn't have anything to do with political leanings. People are getting hurt in Jewish community, so the community finds a way to combat the problem and promote self-defense in turn. One's political stance is irrelevant to their need for physical safety.

This is something I think all people can agree on.

What it does show, is that we look out for and take care of those within our communities in need.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Except Orthodox Jews tend to be conservative. That is political.

But politics isn't mentioned in the OP.

Quoting collectivecow:

This doesn't have anything to do with political leanings. People are getting hurt in Jewish community, so the community finds a way to combat the problem and promote self-defense in turn. One's political stance is irrelevant to their need for physical safety.

What it does show, is that we look out for and take care of those within our communities in need.

collectivecow
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I was raised Orthodox.

I'm Independant personally.

I know plenty of Orthodox Jews who are NOT Conservative.
I also know plenty of non-Orthodox Jews who are.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting collectivecow:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Anecdotal evidence, of course.

Doesn't change the fact that more Orthodox Jews tend to be conservative.

And more non-Orthodox Jews tend to be liberal.

Just as more Catholics tend to be Democrats.

And I was raised Catholic.

Quoting collectivecow:

I was raised Orthodox. I'm Independant and I know plenty of Orthodox Jews who are NOT conservative. I also know plenty of non-Orthodox Jews who are.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting collectivecow:

collectivecow
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Not necessarily: Polls speak for themselves regarding this matter.

What you should consider is that for many Jewish Americans, it's not necessarily party affiliation but topic handling and discussion. So the party that leans more toward Jewish values of importance, will most likely obtain the vote.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting collectivecow:

I was raised Orthodox. I'm Independant and I know plenty of Orthodox Jews who are NOT conservative. I also know plenty of non-Orthodox Jews who are.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting collectivecow:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

EXACTLY. Polls speak for themselves.

You might become familiar with the them.

You said you were raised Orthodox. Which implies you are not Orthodox today. (I was raised Catholic.  But am not Catholic today, though I am nondenominational Christian.) Which explains why you are not conservative. 

And Jews are 2% of the population. How is that a large portion?

http://newcentrist.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/more-on-jewish-voting-patterns-in-election-2008/

Quoting collectivecow:

Not necessarily: Polls speak for themselves regarding this matter.

What you should consider is that for many Jewish Americans, it's not necessarily party affiliation but topic handling and discussion. So the party that leans more toward Jewish values of importance, will most likely obtain the vote.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting collectivecow:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting collectivecow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)