Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New strain of super contagious stomach bug Norovirus sweeps world

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 20 Replies

First it was the flu, and now a new strain of stomach bug is sweeping the globe and the United States.

It’s a type of norovirus. It’s highly contagious and since September there have been more than 140 outbreaks in the U.S.

They’re calling it the “Sydney Strain” because it was identified last year in Australia. Scientists don’t think it’s dangerous, but it could be for people who are weak to begin with.

What kind of symptoms should we be on the look out for?

It’s your typical stomach virus, so it’s going to be vomiting and diarrhea for a few days with nausea.  The thing about this virus is that it’s highly contagious, so it hits people very quickly.

You feel fine one minute and within several hours you’re suddenly overwhelmed with vomiting and diarrhea.

It’s usually spread by infected food handlers who don’t wash their hands well after using the bathroom.  But it can also spread in the air as droplets when someone vomits.

What’s the treatment?

It’s supportive, which means you have to ride it out and try to stay hydrated if you can.  Really sick people who are already weak and have medical problems with probably need to be hospitalized for IV therapy.

Have you been hit by the super bug?
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
29again
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Nope...  Haven't seen it around.

It sure does sound nasty, though.  Is this the mystery virus that is hitting the southeast?

kcangel63
by Amanda on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I don't know. We had some horrible nasty super stomach bug Christmas of last year. Actually Dec 20 (my ds's birthday). It was my EDD. It think I ended up being almost 3 weeks late because we were around everyone with the illness.

It was awful. I can't imagine anything much worse.

This year we all have the coughing, 104 deg fever, sore throat in our house. Fun stuff.

Quoting 29again:

Nope...  Haven't seen it around.

It sure does sound nasty, though.  Is this the mystery virus that is hitting the southeast?

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Ewww I hope this isnt what my coworker has. He was sick with a stomach bug at work today.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My son brought this home from school (which alsmost got closed down do to the bug spreading so fast). It was actually not bad as far as sicknesses go. We all felt like a 100bucks except for occational vomiting & within 24hours it was gone, well ds1 had alittle diarra on day 2 but still.... not bad. Kinda wish it would of hit in May... I lost about 7lbs and looked lean and mean-lol. Prob the most bearable stomach bug I've ever had.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this
That's doable. Last years bug made death look favorable.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

My son brought this home from school (which alsmost got closed down do to the bug spreading so fast). It was actually not bad as far as sicknesses go. We all felt like a 100bucks except for occational vomiting & within 24hours it was gone, well ds1 had alittle diarra on day 2 but still.... not bad. Kinda wish it would of hit in May... I lost about 7lbs and looked lean and mean-lol. Prob the most bearable stomach bug I've ever had.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Thankfully, it hasn't hit anyone I know, but the flu has been making its rounds.

Jadnorton
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Yep. It's making it's rounds in my house. My four month old has it now. My 6 year old and DH has had it. So far my 3 year old and myself have been fine...knock on wood.
happymommy1105
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
All week we have had a horrible stomach flu going around. It's awful.
mymanben
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Hit my house. (Currently living with parents to help out when grandpa was sick) first DS got it, than me, than my mom (christmas day) and my dad has it today.
JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I remember that one! Yeah this one is great compared to that. It is by far the most contagious bug I've ever seen though. A kid threw up in school in the morning and by the end of the day 23 kids were sent home due to vomiting. Ds1 came home sick the next day and was one of what I found out was 28kids sent home that day. His school usually had a 97-99 attendence rate and it was down to 82-83% (my sister who works there said it was worse by the end of the day but thats the number I got) .The Principle was playing with closing the school down due to it but a snow day came right on time and they had a 3day weekend which more or less squashed it.

Quoting kcangel63: That's doable. Last years bug made death look favorable.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)