• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bombings Jolt Russia, Raising Olympic Fears

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

MOSCOW — A deadly suicide bombing at a crowded railroad station in southern Russia on Sunday, followed by a blast in a trolley bus on Monday in the same city, raised the specter of a new wave of terrorism just six weeks before the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

President Vladimir V. Putin’s government has worked to protect the Olympics with some of the most extensive security measures ever imposed for the Games. But the bombings, in Volgograd, underscored the threat the country faces from a radical Islamic insurgency in the North Caucasus that has periodically spilled into the Russian heartland, with deadly results, including several recent attacks.

Security has become a paramount concern at all major international sporting events, especially in the wake of the bombing at the Boston Marathon in April, but never before has an Olympic host country experienced terrorist violence on this scale soon before the Games. And would-be attackers may have more targets in mind than the Russian state.

Current and former American law enforcement and intelligence officials said Sunday that they were more concerned about security in Russia during the Sochi Games than they have been about any other Olympics since Athens in 2004.

Russian officials attributed the explosion on Sunday to a bomb packed with shrapnel, possibly carried in a bag or backpack. It was detonated in the main railroad station in Volgograd, a city 550 miles south of Moscow and 400 miles northeast of Sochi. The bomb blew out windows in the building’s facade and left a horrific scene of carnage at its main entrance. At least 16 people were killed, and nearly three dozen others were wounded, some of them critically, meaning the death toll could still rise.

On Monday morning a second blast struck a trolley bus in the city, killing at least 10 people, according to preliminary reports. Photographs posted by Russian news organizations showed that the force of the blast tore open the bus and shattered windows nearby. At least 10 others were wounded in what officials immediately described as another suicide bombing.

The Sunday blast, captured on a surveillance video camera from across the central plaza in front of the station, occurred near the station’s metal detectors, which have become a common security fixture at most of Russia’s transportation hubs. That raised the possibility that an attack deeper inside the station or aboard a train had been averted.

Vladimir I. Markin, a spokesman for the main national criminal investigation agency in Russia, called the bombing an act of terror, though the exact motivation, target and perpetrator were not immediately clear.

Within hours of the attack, the authorities blamed a suicide bomber, and cited the gruesome discovery of the severed head of a woman, which they said could aid in identifying her as the suspect. Officials later said they had found a grenade and a pistol, and suggested that the attack might have been carried out by a man and a woman working together.

“Most likely, the victims could have been much higher if the so-called protective system had not stopped the suicide bomber from getting through the metal detectors into the waiting room, where there were passengers,” Mr. Markin said in a statement on the agency’s website.

The attack was the second suicide bombing in Volgograd in recent months. In October, a woman identified as Naida Asiyalova detonated a vest of explosives aboard a bus in the city, killing herself and six others.

In that case, the authorities said she was linked by marriage to an explosives expert working with an Islamic group in Dagestan, a republic in southern Russia where the police have struggled to suppress a Muslim separatist insurgency. A month later, the authorities announced that they had killed her husband and four others in a raid. But the attack on Sunday indicated that the threat was far from extinguished.

It was not clear why suicide bombers have now twice chosen targets in Volgograd, a city of 1 million that was formerly called Stalingrad, the site of one of the crucial battles of World War II. It is the nearest major Russian city to the Caucasus, and its proximity may play a role.

Roman Lobachov, who was among those injured on Sunday, said he was at the station’s security checkpoint when the blast occurred. “I passed through the metal detector, and at that moment there was an explosion,” he said in remarks on the official Rossiya television network. He said he felt a shock like a blow to the head, “and I kind of dropped to the floor.”

Mr. Putin vowed Sunday to redouble security at Russia’s railway stations and airports, which are especially busy around the New Year’s holiday.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

How terrible. And I can't help but wonder when will it end?

JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Putin was just named the Interational Person of the Year by a Newspaper or whatever in Britain as well.

Right before the summer Olympics Britain found car bombs didn't they? The Olympics seem to bring out the Worst in people. Sounds like they already know that this is radical Islamists though, does anyone remember if that was the case in Britan as well?! That is scary. They def. have not been out making friends as of late. It seems almost as if they are attempting to start a World War or something.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM
The Russians say... You mess with us... We f*** you up. (In Russian accent)
grandmab125
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

For crap's sake.  The Russian gov't decided to build their Olympic village in the heart of the Chechen terrorist training region.  This is the area where Tamerlan Tsarnaev (aka Boston Bomber) learned his trade when he went to Russia.

I'm sure there must be a safer area in Russia.  Having the Olympics in Russia was another bad decision of the IOC.  I swear those people are brain dead.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Islamic terrorists. Not freedom fighters.

Seems they are all over the world.

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Russia's New Black Widows

The deadly and mysterious new breed of female suicide bomber.

Yusup told me how his Arab commander was able to prepare an entire brigade of troops who were not merely prepared for death but desired it. - 

From my research into the tactics of such groups, their suicide missions tend to be carefully supervised. The bomber typically has two or three chaperones who watch over the operation, noting the bomber's mood, at times managing it with medications, and making sure that the bomber does not stray from the agreed-upon route and remains calm and under control. The two women who bombed the Moscow subway system in 2010, for instance, were each chaperoned by two or three people, at least one of whom was also a woman. Security sources, speaking to the Russian press, have suggested that Asiyalova may have been kept in the dark about when the bomb would explode. Such tactics have also been used in past attacks.

One of the characters I profiled in my book, Brides of Allah, was a Chechen woman named Zarema Inarkaeva, who bombed a police station in the Chechen capital of Grozny in February 2002. Inarkaeva was among the lucky few who are known as "failed suicide bombers," the ones who survive their own acts of terrorism. As she told me during the many hours we spent together while she was in a witness protection program, Zarema eloped with her lover and ended up staying with a terrorist cell. She had a promiscuous sex life, as the jihadists she encountered felt it was normal to share sexual partners. They lived in a rented apartment in a fashion she described as "sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll." It had little in common with what you might expect of a fundamentalist Islamic commune.

Eventually her comrades grew tired of her company and decided to send her on her way -- with a purse full of explosives, which she was to detonate at the police station. During our interviews, Zarema said that she felt dazed in the months before that attack, and she recalled how the men she lived with would pour substances into her soft drinks without even trying to hide it. She began having mood swings, which ranged from depression to giddy euphoria. And then, on the morning of Feb. 5, 2002, she was dropped off at the police station with a purse and told to deliver it to one of the officers.

continued....

Russia's New Black Widows

KenneMaw
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Putin is not someone I would want to mess with or be on his bad side.   He makes people disappear.   I really hope the Games will be held without incident.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I hope there are no incidents during the games. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Security is going to be absolutely insane I am sure.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I would hope so but if people are bound and determined they will get by security. 

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Security is going to be absolutely insane I am sure.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)