Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler found on Iowa highway in frigid weather

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
PERRY, Iowa -- A toddler has been found sitting along a state highway in frigid central Iowa.

Authorities say someone spotted the little boy Sunday afternoon on Iowa Highway 141 west of Perry and took him to Dallas County Hospital in Perry. The National Weather Service says it was about 10 degrees at the time, with a wind chill of minus 8.

The child's baby sitter, 31-year-old Catalina Ortiz-Ortega, of Guthrie Center, soon arrived at the hospital. She told authorities that she'd been driving in the area earlier in the day, heard a rear door of the vehicle open and close but didn't realize the child had fallen out.

She's charged with felony child endangerment. A home phone listing for her couldn't be found. Online court records don't list her attorney's name.

http://www.ksfy.com/story/24326763/toddler-found-on-iowa-highway-in-frigid-weather#.UsIEqy2NN1w.facebook
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm thankfor that the child is okay. As too the baby sitter? I don't know, you hear a car door open and close, knowing that a child is back there but you don't check on that child? Nah, I don't believe it.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm going with 1) Child wasn't in a car seat and she was the most inattentive babysitter in the world.

Or

2) She left him on the side of the road.
lovinmy3girlies
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Ok? So when you she didnt hear anything she didnt look back? Or when she got to where she was going? Perry is very small. Js. Thats assuming that we can get around the fact that a child "falling" out of a car cannot simply close it behind him! I am glad she got charged.
sonnyswoman75
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Makes you realize you really need to know who you are leaving your child with.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM
It just doesn't add up.

Quoting lovinmy3girlies: Ok? So when you she didnt hear anything she didnt look back? Or when she got to where she was going? Perry is very small. Js. Thats assuming that we can get around the fact that a child "falling" out of a car cannot simply close it behind him! I am glad she got charged.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM
So true.

Quoting sonnyswoman75:

Makes you realize you really need to know who you are leaving your child with.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:06 AM

How does that happen? Even if my child could get out of their carseat I would notice and cars have child locks on doors. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)