Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Controversy Goes Far Beyond Personal Opinions~

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 104 Replies
3 moms liked this

When moral values collide, truth is usually the first casualty.Photo: A&E / Duck Dynasty

Duck Dynasty & the Trivializing of Sin

CALIFORNIA, December 31, 2013 ― The flap over Phil Robertson’s comments on sin and homosexuality have yet to settle down. This isn’t surprising; any opinion that’s less than glowing about homosexuality has become toxic.

Besides a public clash of value systems, this fiasco shows how easily corporations like A&E are intimidated by activist groups trying to normalize and promote what many believe is sexually immoral.

This controversy goes far beyond personal opinions, corporate profit or issues of censorship, it reeks of intolerance for sincerely held, personal beliefs, and a common ignorance of what sin actually is.

Clearly, Phil has a right to express his personal beliefs, just as A&E has a right to not televise material that’s inconsistent with its brand. In fact, A&E’s initial suspension of Robertson is no different than the major news media swaying public opinion by selective reporting or the president consistently misleading about Obamacare.

As everyone now knows, Robertson was asked by GQ to define sin. His quirky responses paraphrased a portion of 1 Corinthians chapter 6. These verses list: thieves; idolaters; the greedy; drunkards; adulterers; the sexually immoral; as well as those that practice homosexuality as sinful. At another point Robertson again listed homosexuality as sin (Romans 1:24-28; 1 Timothy 1:9-11), and added bestiality (Exodus 22:19; Leviticus 18:23) and sleeping around (Colossians 3:5-6; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7) to the list.

Let’s be clear. Robertson never equated homosexuality with bestiality as Nancy Dubuc the CEO of A&E claimed. Obviously both behaviors are condemned in scripture, and both violate God’s perfect design for his created order. By conflating bestiality and homosexuality, Dubuc used shock value to unjustifiably suspend Robertson and put the continuation of the conservative Duck Dynasty series in doubt.

What Robertson actually did in the GQ interview was express a profound truth: Those who practice sin in defiance of a holy God will not inherit the kingdom of God unless they repent and turn to Christ (1 Corinthians 6:10). In fact, Biblically all sin both great and “small” is offensive and unacceptable to a righteous God (Romans 3:23; James 2:8-10; Ecclesiastes 12:13-14).

Robertson could have used other scripture to define sin, such as Ephesians 5:1-6; Romans 13:9, 13; Galatians 5:19-21, or 1 John 3:4 but the result’s the same. For Christians, God’s word is the authority on what’s acceptable and what’s sinful, not the CEO of A&E, GLAAD or Congressional or State legislators. For them, what’s obviously unacceptable is holding God’s word in much higher regard than political correctness.

Let’s be honest. Those who reject the notion of the Bible as God’s authoritative revealed will would rather attack the messenger (Robertson) than the message (what sin is). In fact, calling Robertson anti-gay, homophobic, intolerant, a gay-basher and hater is vile character assassination. It is only intended to prevent objective dialogue on the true nature of sin and its consequences.

For example: although all forms of sexual immorality are glorified in our popular culture, any downsides to these behaviors, particularly with the homosexual lifestyle, are rarely reported. Data assessing relative promiscuity and STD infection rates; average life expectancies; rates of clinical depression, suicide, or convicted sex offenses; or any other meaningful metric of societal health are virtually non-existent.

God’s word may be characterized as hate speech by the politically correct crowd, or sinfully twisted to corrupt its clear message (2 Timothy 4:3-4), but that doesn’t change the nature of timeless truth. It only illustrates the extent so many are willing to go to justify sinful behavior and try to silence anyone that disagrees.

It’s been lost in the controversy, but speaking truth in love towards everyone characterizes Phil Robinson’s comments both in the GQ article and in a recently surfaced sermon. In fact, the verse following Robertson’s paraphrase says: “…and such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” (1 Corinthians 6:11). This is the hope of the gospel Robertson stands for.

Although sin is a condition of the human soul, and indulging it has real life consequences, through Christ we have the hope of a new nature that replaces our old sinful one. That nature will desire to live by God’s standard and not the relativistic values of our day (Proverbs 4:27; Matthew 7:13-14). This applies to everyone, including homosexuals. In fact, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 clearly shows that homosexuality is not a biological condition; it’s a heart, mind and soul condition and thus ultimately redeemable.

The bottom line is that what God demands, he can provide (Romans 3:21-26); and no amount of political correctness, intolerance, or rationalization of sin will change that.

Read more: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/biblical-politics/2013/dec/31/duck-dynasty-and-trivializing-sin/#ixzz2pBapfdvj 

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I don't really care what the hell 'god's word' says. I don't agree with the man at all BUT I think he should be able to have personal opinions and state those opinions no matter who they offend and he shouldn't have to apologize to anyone for having his opinions.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this
If you wanna live by the old testiment then go for it, but don't say you are Christian. You are an Israelite, because that's who the old testiment is written for. When God sent his son to the earth it was a whole new ball game with a whole new set of rules. So using the bible to say screw gays is just asinine. But anyone on the planet has the right to speak how they feel. We put too much into others opinions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Totally agree

Quoting marchantmom06: If you wanna live by the old testiment then go for it, but don't say you are Christian. You are an Israelite, because that's who the old testiment is written for. When God sent his son to the earth it was a whole new ball game with a whole new set of rules. So using the bible to say screw gays is just asinine. But anyone on the planet has the right to speak how they feel. We put too much into others opinions.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

bump

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Really, blondekosmic15, if you want to claim the head duck as your fount of morality, you're welcome to him. 

blueforewolf
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

- so no matter what heinous crime I commit as long as I fully and meaningfully repent and pray to Christ I will inherit the kingdom of heaven?  wow  what an awesome thing for criminals

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:48 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting marchantmom06: If you wanna live by the old testiment then go for it, but don't say you are Christian. You are an Israelite, because that's who the old testiment is written for. When God sent his son to the earth it was a whole new ball game with a whole new set of rules. So using the bible to say screw gays is just asinine. But anyone on the planet has the right to speak how they feel. We put too much into others opinions.

Good grief! I love the Bible, Old Testament & New Testament. In fact I talk about the NT more frequently because I favor the Gospels esp the Gospel of St John. 

It's easier to criticize & mock the messenger, Mr Robertson for quoting the Bible than to criticize God. People have tried to tell God what to do for Centuries. Efforts are in vain. 

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:09 AM
3 moms liked this
What in the hell are you talking about? Your response was just a bunch of random sentences. You need to back off the internet and get some help. No one believes you. You aren't reaching anyone with your holier than thou, I know everything bible thumping crap. Get a grip lady.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Good grief! I love the Bible, Old Testament & New Testament. In fact I talk about the NT more frequently because I favor the Gospels esp the Gospel of St John. 

It's easier to criticize & mock the messenger, Mr Robertson for quoting the Bible than to criticize God. People have tried to tell God what to do for Centuries. Their efforts are in vain. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting blueforewolf:

- so no matter what heinous crime I commit as long as I fully and meaningfully repent and pray to Christ I will inherit the kingdom of heaven?  wow  what an awesome thing for criminals

I'm sure there are serial killers & rapists in Heaven BECAUSE they humbled themselves to God before they entered eternity. Many criminals find God before they die. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The key to salvation is sincere sorrow for all the sins of your life. The number of sins is immaterial IF you truly repent. 

The Angels rejoice in Heaven when a great sinner repents & gives their life to Christ. 

Your comments reflect unforgiveness & a lack of mercy for those who commit sin. Sad that you mock the mercy of God.

Read about St Paul the Apostle formerly named Saul. Paul murdered 100's of Christians til Jesus struck him blind in the desert for 3 days. Jesus elevated Paul the Apostle to be one of the greatest Saints of the Church thru out the Centuries. 

The Apostle Peter denied Christ 3x when Jesus was on his way to the hill of Calvary to be crucified. Jesus not only forgave him but Peter is the first Pope. St Peter loved Jesus so much when the captors came to crucify him, he told them he did not deserve to die as Jesus did. Peter's captors crucified him upside down. 

The 2 thieves hanging on each side of Jesus when he was dying on the Cross. One continued to mock Jesus. The other named Dismas, called the good thief, asked Jesus to forgive him. Jesus said to Dismas, today you will be with Me in Paradise. 

There are lots of sinners who become Saints....

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:34 AM
4 moms liked this

I opened this thread for intelligent discussion. No one forced you to respond. You need to take a pause & pass by posts if you can't be respectful. 

Mr Robertson not only quoted the OT but he mentioned the words about homosexuality presented in the New Testament. God's moral laws did not change when Jesus came into the world. A misconception by some of you. The New Testament is a fulfillment of God's laws & Commandments. Our Lord's approach may be more gentle but Jesus is not a pacifist.. Robertson's comments may seem harsh to some of you but the Scriptures are very clear concerning sins of immorality which includes homosexual practices. 

Quoting marchantmom06: What in the hell are you talking about? Your response was just a bunch of random sentences. You need to back off the internet and get some help. No one believes you. You aren't reaching anyone with your holier than thou, I know everything bible thumping crap. Get a grip lady.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

It's easier to criticize & mock the messenger, Mr Robertson for quoting the Bible than to criticize God. People have tried to tell God what to do for Centuries. Their efforts are in vain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)