Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Utah man to fast until the state unilaterally denies same-sex couples the right to marry

Pema_Jampa
IDFWU
Yesterday at 2:54 PM
Big Sean - I Don't Fuck With You (Explicit) ft. E-40

"I Don't F**k With You" f. E-40 Available Now iTunes: http://smarturl.it/iIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Google Play: http://smarturl.it/gIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Amazon: ...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM
  • 248 Replies

Utah man to fast until the state unilaterally denies same-sex couples the right to marry

Friday, January 3, 2014 18:59 EST
meachem

A Utah man vows to go without food until the state stops issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Trestin Meacham believes the state has the ability to “nullify” the recent decision allowing same-sex couples the right to marry. States, he believes, have the right to “nullify any unconstitutional action of the Federal Government,” and that this decision is “patently unconstitutional.”

By his reckoning, states have unilateral authority to reject any decision made by the federal government, and cites as evidence a series of failed attempts to have this belief recognized in courts of law.

Southern segregation supporters attempted to claim a similar power for their states, but in Cooper v. Aaron, the Supreme Court ruled that Brown v. Board of Education “can neither be nullified openly and directly by state legislators or state executive or judicial officers nor nullified indirectly by them through evasive schemes for segregation.”

Meacham remains undeterred. In a post on his public Facebook page flush with false humility, he writes that “I cannot stand by and do nothing while this evil takes root in my home. Some things in life are worth sacrificing one’s heath and even life if necessary. I am but a man, and do not have the money and power to make any noticeable influence in our corrupt system. Never the less, I can do something that people in power cannot ignore.”

He claims that his opposition to same-sex marriage “has nothing to do with hatred of a group of people,” but on his blog, he is quick to note that the challenge to Judge Shelby’s decision will be “will be heard by Sonia Sotomayor, a known champion of the homosexual movement.”

His public Facebook page also includes numerous links to articles whose connection to concerns about federalism are tenuous, such as one entitled “Pants on Fire: Give Gays Who Lied About Being Victims of Hate Crimes.”

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

He claims that his opposition to same-sex marriage “has nothing to do with hatred of a group of people,” 

There is absolutely no other reason than hate.
blueforewolf
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:17 AM
3 moms liked this

ehhhh maybe he will starve himself to death - good for him!

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
There's the supremacy clause in the Constitution. States can give more rights than the federal govt but not less. The South arguing for nullification is one of the things that led us into the Civil War.
Lilfootmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
He will eat or starve to death before they consider overturning the law. Nowhere in the constitution is gay marriage mentioned
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM
I didn't say it was mentioned in the constitution. I said the supremacy clause states that federal laws have supremacy over state laws.

Quoting Lilfootmommy: He will eat or starve to death before they consider overturning the law. Nowhere in the constitution is gay marriage mentioned
Lilfootmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:06 AM
And I didn't quote you. In fact I didn't even read your reply

Quoting StephanieSH: I didn't say it was mentioned in the constitution. I said the supremacy clause states that federal laws have supremacy over state laws.

Quoting Lilfootmommy: He will eat or starve to death before they consider overturning the law. Nowhere in the constitution is gay marriage mentioned
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Ok.

Quoting Lilfootmommy: And I didn't quote you. In fact I didn't even read your reply

Quoting StephanieSH: I didn't say it was mentioned in the constitution. I said the supremacy clause states that federal laws have supremacy over state laws.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Hopefully he'll break his fast soon, or he might just die. LOL!

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

He needs to realize it will take much more than just him to bring a change and healing to this country.

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
 2 Chronicles 7:14

Lilfootmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Healing? How is gay marriage harming a non Christian nation?

Quoting Debrowsky:

He needs to realize it will take much more than just him to bring a change and healing to this country.

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and
pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from
heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
 2 Chronicles 7:14

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)