Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Wal-Marts Recall Donkey Meat for Containing Fox DNA

Posted by   + Show Post
Chinese Wal-Marts Recall Donkey Meat for Containing Fox DNA

BY NEWS DESK | JANUARY 3, 2014

The Chinese branch of Wal-Mart super stores is issuing a recall of donkey meat products after some of it was found to contain fox DNA.

The “five spice” donkey meat is considered a delicacy in parts of China. Fox meat is not – but it is cheap, as foxes are commonly bred in China for their fur.

Someone from the supplier’s factory has already been detained on suspicion of fraud, according to news reports.

China is no stranger to food controversies, including a 2008 scandal involving milk and infant formula tainted with melamine that sickened an estimated 300,000 people, including 54,000 hospitalized babies.

Wal-Mart’s Chinese stores have also earned some notoriety stateside for allegedly carrying products of questionable food safety quality, including raw meat available to grab with bare hands, sets of ribs sitting in the open air, and live frogs and turtles.

Wal-Mart has more than 400 stores in China.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/01/chinese-wal-mart-recalls-donkey-meat-for-containing-fox/#disqus_thread
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Replies (11-14):
blueforewolf
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM

I once tried bison meat, venison, and elk   it was all good but the elk was the best imo  - I think its great that you can buy local

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Bison meat or local cattle,pig etc.. or venison here none of the store bought "imported" from Mexico crap in my house

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

The US imports a lot of other food supplies from China.  You better start reading labels.

Quoting gludwig2000:

I rarely shop at Wal Mart here in the states, but now I know that I will never shop at one in China, eww.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM

At least it wasn't dog.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM
MMMMM. Hot dogs.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

At least it wasn't dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN