Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

President Obama, While on Hawaii Vacation, Lambastes GOP Who ‘Went Home for the Holidays’ and Abandoned Less Fortunate

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Eds
  • 12 Replies

President Obama, While on Hawaii Vacation, Lambastes GOP Who ‘Went Home for the Holidays’ and Abandoned Less Fortunate

President Obama, While on Hawaii Vacation, Lambastes GOP Who Went Home for the Holidays and Abandoned Less Fortunate

President Barack Obama holds his shave ice as he exits Island Snow to greet people waiting outside, Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013. (Image source: AP/Carolyn Kaster)

While President Barack Obama continued what the New York Times called a “real and rare vacation in Hawaii,” he used his Weekly Address to accuse Republicans in Congress of going home for the holidays while less-fortunate Americans suffer. (Bold added):

President Obama, While on Hawaii Vacation, Lambastes GOP Who Went Home for the Holidays and Abandoned Less Fortunate

U.S. President Barack Obama gestures on the second green at Marine Corps Base Hawaii’s Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course January 2, 2014 in Kaneohe, Hawaii. (Image source: Pool/Getty Images)

Just a few days after Christmas, more than one million of our fellow Americans lost a vital economic lifeline – the temporary insurance that helps folks make ends meet while they look for a job. Republicans in Congress went home for the holidays and let that lifeline expire. And for many of their constituents who are unemployed through no fault of their own, that decision will leave them with no income at all.

We make this promise to one another because it makes a difference to a mother who needs help feeding her kids while she’s looking for work; to a father who needs help paying the rent while learning the skills to get a new and better job. And denying families that security is just plain cruel. We’re a better country than that. We don’t abandon our fellow Americans when times get tough – we keep the faith with them until they start that new job.

While the GOP was home for the holidays, how did Obama spend some of his two-week trip across the Pacific? The Times described a bit of it:

He played golf eight out of 14 days. And he and the first lady, Michelle Obama, stepped out for dinner at a few of their favorite restaurants: Alan Wong’s, Morimoto Waikiki (twice!) and Nobu Waikiki.

Island Snow, the president’s favorite spot for shave ice — the island’s syrupy, brightly colored and refreshingly sweet version of the snow cone — even had a message board in its back room reminding its employees to “wear Island Snow T-shirts all week long while the president is here!!”

President Barack Obama shakes hands with people waiting to meet him as he holds his shave ice outside Island Snow, Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2014. (Image source: AP/Carolyn Kaster)

Last week, Mr. Obama finally joined his daughters, who had been making solo shave ice runs for most of the trip, at the shop, emerging with a cherry and lemon-lime confection in a paper cone.

The president wished the crowd a “great 2014” and flashed the Hawaiian “shaka” greeting — an extended thumb and little finger often associated with surf culture — before wandering outside to enjoy his treat.

Here’s the clip of Obama’s address:

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
  • TROONORTH

Does this dangerously stupid man you refer to as President even understand what he says? Does he not understand the irony of lecturing anyone about abandoning the less fortunate from the sunny green mountains of Hawaii? What a bloody fool he is.

TROONORTH
    Show Conversation (5)
  • Fatheroftwo

This is a joke, right? This has got to be a joke! Please, somebody tell me this is a joke!

Fatheroftwo
    Show Conversation (1)
  • BLACK_BARRY

My fellow citizens, I am deeply hurt by the harsh comments my man-assistant has read to me on this thread. As your duly twice-elected master, I am both entitled to and expected to spend your hard earned money on my much needed and obligatory rest and relaxation. I am literally drained of both my physical and mental resources while here in paradise. The frozen and shaved ice with sugary sweetness added on top, keeps me from dropping to my knees in sheer physical exhaustion. May I expound: Michelle, although not so fond of the male physique, becomes quite randy after devouring an entire pig every night at the tax payer sponsored luaus we have attended. It’s all a gay man like myself can do to keep the woman satisfied subsequent to her post pork passion tirades. Not to mention, Reggie has been neglected and continually texts me in giddy anticipation of when I will be able to sneak out and help him “pick coconuts”. So I beg of you, my fellow citizens, please have some compassion on your worn out and frazzled master. Soon, Michelle will be off her pork high and I’ll be back to normal. Patience, my friends, patience.

BLACK_BARRY
    Show Conversation (7)
  • Yagoda

Foobear hit a hole in one with that link.

Yagoda
    Show Conversation (9)
  • ImaHippyBurning

This Failed Social Experiment Impostor of a President should be sharing a cell with OJ! F’ing Puke!

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
The budget is signed. Gop got their way with welfare being gutted, unemployment being discontinued, military being shit on.

What else is there.
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM

The less fortunate to "disappear" so ONLY the fat cats that have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are around

Quoting -Celestial-: The budget is signed. Gop got their way with welfare being gutted, unemployment being discontinued, military being shit on.

What else is there.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Does Obama realizes what he's reading while he's reading it?  Where the heck does he think he's spent the Christmas Holiday?  He definitely wasn't in DC.  His speech was probably written for him before he left for HI.  

Before anyone goes on off on GW Bush and his holiday breaks....at least Bush had the decency to leave for his Christmas break the day after Christmas so a majority of his staff could spend Christmas day with their families....

vic270
by Vic on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM

just when i thought he couldn't go any lower, he finds a way. i think he is in reality laughing his butt off at the conservatives because he just keeps doing and saying stupid and mean things and he has such a good defense he doesn't care. i will be so glad when he finally throws that last pass and gets off the field.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Some people refer to BO as the smartest POTUS eva'....I refer to him as the most divisive POTUS ever..

Quoting vic270:

just when i thought he couldn't go any lower, he finds a way. i think he is in reality laughing his butt off at the conservatives because he just keeps doing and saying stupid and mean things and he has such a good defense he doesn't care. i will be so glad when he finally throws that last pass and gets off the field.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Michelle stays behind in tropical paradise, hubby and the kids head home: http://bit.ly/1bIy4D7
IT'S HER BIRTHDAY PRESENT! 
(Apparently, 17 days was NOT enough of a vacation for the Imperial Queen!)

President Barack Obama and daughters Ma...See More
Photo: Michelle stays behind in tropical paradise, hubby and the kids head home: http://bit.ly/1bIy4D7
IT'S HER BIRTHDAY PRESENT!  
(Apparently, 17 days was NOT enough of a vacation for the Imperial Queen!)
President Barack Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha left their vacation in Hawaii on Saturday, but left First Lady Michelle Obama behind on the islands, according to news agency reports. The president reportedly let his wife stay on in Hawaii with friends as a "birthday present." Michelle Obama will turn 50 years old on Jan. 17.
It is a birthday present whose costs, in separate travel and security expenses, are likely to be borne, in part, by taxpayers. On a previous occasion, when Mrs. Obama left for a Hawaii vacation in advance of her husband, the additional cost to the Treasury was estimated to be at least $63,000, and potentially upwards of $100,000.
Mrs. Obama's vacations have often been a source of controversy, beginning with a lavish holiday with friends in Spain's Costa del Sol in 2010, and continuing with high-end sojourns in the Bahamas, Martha's Vineyard and the Maine coast--the latter after urging Americans to vacation in the oil spill-stricken Gulf of Mexico.

vic270
by Vic on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

i think so to. i did not vote for obama but when he got elected the first time, the country was so excited, i couldn't help but get caught up in the moment thinking about  maybe now this country could heal and have a little unity, he had a chance to make a big difference but he blew it will quick. he has caused more harm and division to this country as a whole than any thing or any body ever. i think sometimes this country is past restoreing, i hope not but we are not living in the best of times and it seems it gets worse all the time instead of better. imo if we had a leader that knew what they were doing we would be a lot better off than what we are now. i hope for the sake of the people in this great nation we can find a common link somewhere that we all can agree on. wouldn't that be wonderful.

Quoting rocketracer:

Some people refer to BO as the smartest POTUS eva'....I refer to him as the most divisive POTUS ever..

Quoting vic270:

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

If you re-listen to many of BO's speeches, he says that America's best days are long gone.  

Quoting vic270:

i think so to. i did not vote for obama but when he got elected the first time, the country was so excited, i couldn't help but get caught up in the moment thinking about  maybe now this country could heal and have a little unity, he had a chance to make a big difference but he blew it will quick. he has caused more harm and division to this country as a whole than any thing or any body ever. i think sometimes this country is past restoreing, i hope not but we are not living in the best of times and it seems it gets worse all the time instead of better. imo if we had a leader that knew what they were doing we would be a lot better off than what we are now. i hope for the sake of the people in this great nation we can find a common link somewhere that we all can agree on. wouldn't that be wonderful.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting vic270:

vic270
by Vic on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM

i think he saw to that

Quoting rocketracer:

If you re-listen to many of BO's speeches, he says that America's best days are long gone.  

Quoting vic270:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting vic270:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)