Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

(CNN) -- Finley Boyle, a 3-year-old Hawaii girl who suffered massive brain damage after undergoing a dental procedure last month, died Friday night, a hospice said Saturday.

The girl died with her family by her side, said Kenneth L. Zeri, president and chief professional officer of Hospice Hawaii.

"There are few greater privileges in life than to accompany someone on their end-of-life journey, providing comfort and support not only to that person but also to their loved ones," the statement said. "As with all of our patients, we were truly blessed to be able to be there for The Boyle Family and for Finley at the end of her journey."

Finley's parents are suing a Kailua, Hawaii, dentist, alleging negligence and dangerous conduct.

The lawsuit, filed against Lilly Geyer and her practice, Island Dentistry for Children, alleges improper medications with incorrect dosages were administered to the girl on December 3, according to court documents filed this week.

When routine surgeries go wrong

Mother: Dentist left girl brain damaged

"As a direct and proximate result of the medications administered to (Finley) by defendants, (Finley) suffered cardiac arrest during her dental procedure," the lawsuit says.

It alleges that, as a further result of improper medications, Finley "suffered severe and permanent brain damage."

Neither Geyer nor her attorney, John Nishimoto, responded to CNN's requests for comment. The Island Dentistry website states it has been permanently closed and directs patients to an e-mail address.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Hawaii's First Circuit Court, alleges that Geyer had no plan in place to respond to medical emergencies, such as the one Finley suffered. It seeks unspecified damages.

Girl declared brain dead after tonsil surgery

Finley's mother, Ashley Boyle, said she first took her daughter to the dentist in November, when she was told her daughter needed six fillings and four root canals, she said.

They returned in December to undergo the root canals, Boyle said.

The parents allege that Finley was sedated and left unmonitored for 26 minutes.

Finley was moved from a hospital to the hospice in late December.

Finley's pediatric neurologist, Dr. Gregory Yen, said MRIs showed the girl suffered severe brain damage and that she was in a "persistent vegetative state."

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I'm trying to figure out WHY a 3 yr old would need 4 root canals!

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Quoting kcangel63:

Me too!  I did a search, and apparently it happens now and then that a child with primary teeth needs a root canal...  unbelievable.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting kcangel63:

Me too!  I did a search, and apparently it happens now and then that a child with primary teeth needs a root canal...  unbelievable.

I just can't even fathom 1 root canal in a child so young, let alone 4!  Then, all the drugs they gave her and being so unprepared for something to happen!  So very heartbreaking!  :(

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting kcangel63:

I just can't even fathom 1 root canal in a child so young, let alone 4!  Then, all the drugs they gave her and being so unprepared for something to happen!  So very heartbreaking!  :(

This was heartbreaking to read...  I remember when I took my LO's to the dentist.  I think 3 was the earliest they could go.  One of mine had to have a sealant put on to prevent cavities on her baby teeth.  It did a so-so job..  But this is just so awful.  Good thing they shut down!

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 29again:

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting kcangel63:

This was heartbreaking to read...  I remember when I took my LO's to the dentist.  I think 3 was the earliest they could go.  One of mine had to have a sealant put on to prevent cavities on her baby teeth.  It did a so-so job..  But this is just so awful.  Good thing they shut down!

I can't imagine how anyone involved is feeling.  The famliy.  The dental assistants/dentist.  Those next door than they ran to have help.  The hospital staff.  Just awful.  :(

It shouldn't have happened. 

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought milk teeth didn't have true roots, so why would she need root canals at the age of 3? My heart goes out to this family, this should have never happened, imo.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM
That's my thought. Just pull them if they're that bad.

I know none of my kids had adult teeth come in until about 7-8.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought milk teeth didn't have true roots, so why would she need root canals at the age of 3? My heart goes out to this family, this should have never happened, imo.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I remember all of my kids baby teeth being kind of hollow at the bottom, no true root but my youngest is 19 so I wondered if I really was getting senile at an early age,lol. I still don't see a child that young needing that kind of work, not on teeth that are not permanent. Its tragic, and I wish the family had gotten a second opinion or something before even thinking about allowing this.  

Quoting kcangel63: That's my thought. Just pull them if they're that bad.

I know none of my kids had adult teeth come in until about 7-8.

Quoting gludwig2000:

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Truly tragic. And way too much work for one session
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)