Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Dad accidentally shoots 8-year-old son while hunting

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM
  • 31 Replies

January 5, 2014

On Wednesday, a father and his 8-year-old son from South Carolina went hunting, but now the boy is in this hospital due to what was deemed as a hunting ‘accident’.

According to Sgt. Benji Byers with SC DNR, the accident occurred  just after 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday in an area off of Highway 301, near Olanta.

Deerhunting

Byers said officials were notified at about 4:30 pm Wednesday, that a father had accidentally shot his 8-year-old son while the pair was deer hunting, according to WBTW. 

Byers said the boy was struck by stray buckshot during the incident and had to undergo surgery on Wednesday evening, however, the outcome of the surgery is not known at this time.

The boy was listed in stable condition before the surgery while in the hospital and his injuries did not appear to be life threatening, according to Byers.

DNR officials say the investigation into the matter is ongoing.

To reiterate, the father and son are hunting together, presumably Dad is teaching his son shooting/hunting skills. Then he shoots his son with a ‘stray bullet’ and his son (presumably) does not look like this innocent creature:

deer

It totally makes sense.

A better outcome would have been this:

Deer

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Sad, but they were fortunate.

We had an issue here. A dad was out hunting with his boys. The dad was drinking :/

The 8 year old was shooting and accidentally killed the dad. Really sad.

Dad had no life insurance, they were barely making it as it is. The older brother at age 16 had to go to work to help the family just make it.

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:58 PM

"Stray buckshot"? really??? I will give them the benefit of the doubt BUT there have been WAY 2 many "hunting" accidents this season across the country do people "forget" hunters education????????

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Deer hunting with buckshot?

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Why does and 8 year old need to be out hunting?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

No, the man did not shoot his son with a bullet.

He was hit by buckshot, which sprays when the shell hits the target  and can hit someone if they are not careful. They should have been wearing bright clothing to prevent accidental shooting. 

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:12 PM
This story is so common. The outlook is good though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I was almost shot by my dad when hunting with him as a teen. We were walking to our stand. I was to the right of him, but behind a bit. His gun was slung over his back with the safety on.

The clip on his sling broke. The gun hit the ground, barrel first. The safety failed, and it shot into the ground inches from my foot.

We had a rule after that to carry our guns in our hands, without a bullet in the chamber until we are seated in the tree stand.

It was a close call. I was very lucky.
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM

That is what buckshot is for.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Deer hunting with buckshot?

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Not everyone goes to the grocery store for their meat. For centuries humans have hunted and taught their young to hunt.  It is quite common.  My daughter went Quail Hunting at 8-9...

Now, a better question in this day/age should be, How did a 2 year old test positive for THC after eating a FRICKEN cookie....   Ohhh right, Colorado is on a pot frenzy.... Should we go on a rampage that all pot smokers are trying to kill babies?   

Or, is it ok to say Accidents happen when it comes to drugs, but not LEGAL gun owners?  

I am sick of liberals going after hunters~ when drugs, thugs, and REAL dangers are out there.  Wake the fuck up. 

Quoting IhartU:

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcrew6:

Not everyone goes to the grocery store for their meat. For centuries humans have hunted and taught their young to hunt.  It is quite common.  My daughter went Quail Hunting at 8-9...

Now, a better question in this day/age should be, How did a 2 year old test positive for THC after eating a FRICKEN cookie....   Ohhh right, Colorado is on a pot frenzy.... Should we go on a rampage that all pot smokers are trying to kill babies?   

Or, is it ok to say Accidents happen when it comes to drugs, but not LEGAL gun owners?  

I am sick of liberals going after hunters~ when drugs, thugs, and REAL dangers are out there.  Wake the fuck up. 

Quoting IhartU:

Calm the hell down. I feel the same damn way about guns as I do about alcohol and drugs- including marijuana. I don't find guns necessary for ANY reason: you need to hunt: build some traps. You need to protect yourself:  get a dog, an alarm system and learn self defense. Anyone who needs to drink or do drugs to have fun, relax or escape from reality has mental problems. 

THIS Liberal can't stand guns, drugs OR alcohol, so kindly stop with the dumb-ass pigeon holing and judgment, will ya? Liberal doesn't automatically mean anti-gun and pro weed just like Conservative doesn't automatically mean self righteous, religious nutter with a gun up in each hand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)