Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mitt Romney Accepts MSNBC Apology For Jokes About Black Grandson (VIDEO)

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 2 Replies

Mitt Romney Accepts MSNBC Apology For Jokes About Black Grandson (VIDEO)

by Emily Abbate

Mitt RomneyIt's gotta feel pretty crappy to be MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry this week. After Harris-Perry and a panel poked fun at a photo of Mitt Romney with his wife and 21 grandchildren, honing in on his adopted African-American grandson Kieran Romney -- the host went on air yesterday and made a tearful apology to the former Republican presidential candidate and his family. Harris-Perry broke into tears during it, saying that she was "deeply sorry that we suggested that interracial families are in any way funny or deserving of ridicule."

This morning, Romney accepted Melissa's apology in a Fox News interview, saying that since it was heartfelt him and his family "hold no ill will whatsoever."

Well that's a big move. Because honestly, the panel's original comments were pretty gosh darn insensitive.

So how did the whole thing go down? Well during a segment on Melissa Harris-Perry last weekend, a panel was asked to come up with captions for the photo of Romney and his family. Actress Pia Glenn started to jokingly sing the lyrics "One of these things is not like the others ..." while another panelist said that the photo "really sums up the diversity of the Republican Party."

Even though Harris-Perry said the baby was gorgeous herself, she took a stab art the caption herself -- predicting that one day Kieran would marry Kim Kardashian and Kanye's daughter North West.

Like Mitt said, it's clear that Harris-Perry didn't mean any ill will by their comments -- but they were still very insensitive and came off as unsupportive of transracial adoption. It's one thing to poke fun at a politician for the way they look, sound ... pick your poison. But the second you take a stab at their children, you've gone too far. The children didn't choose to be put on a national stage. It just comes with the territory.

Romney's response was classy, but it was made easy by Harris-Perry's heartfelt apology. Watch it, here:

Do you think society needs to be more tolerable about transracial adoption?

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
vic270
by Vic on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM

that is what classy people do. he is a good man.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Romney handled the situation with his grandson with class.I may not agree with Romney politically but he is a family man and I can see he loves his grandson:).

Melissa Perry should not have stooped to such a low level.Leave innocent kids out of the politics.

I myself was adopted by a white man, who married my mom when I was 9 years old.I have never known my biological dad.My dad is the only dad I know...or care to know.

My mom died 14 years ago :(and my dad walked me down the isle on my wedding day,is always there for me,and spoils my kids(his grandkids) rotten.

I do think some in society make a big issue out of transracial adoption.For myself and my family our skin tone is just that.....our skin tone.We love each other

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)