Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The American Dream: You have to be asleep to believe it (warning profanity)

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

George Carlin, a comedian after my own heart. 

The American Dream is dead.  At least in my opinion I will not claim that as fact especially here based on the reception I have been given by some :)

The American Dream is dead.  The social and economic ladder that once supported growth from the bottom up has been demolished.  Many things have led to this downfall of owning your own home and retiring at 50 or 60 years old to live out your Golden Years in peace and harmony.  It started with the government allowing for mortgages to be easier to access and to be spread out over 30 years.  The banks playing with the housing bubble and allowing it to pop.  Corporations have become people and with that Wall Street thugs are now on corporate welfare. 

However I will leave my own opinions there for now.  The point of the post is this.  George Carlin on The American Dream.  Enjoy!

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Well, I can't look at videos on this pc, so I will try to check it out later once I get home. But I do agree with your opening statement.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM

All I see is a black box.

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Here is a link to the video.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Quoting Kathy489:

All I see is a black box.

Outspoken.Mime
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

While I agree, too many people take this as a reason to have zero personal accountability.

I grew up shit poor and am now very well off by most standards.  

Personal decisions still have an impact on the quality of life you lead.

He is right, on a marco level, but on a micro level people must NOT use this as an excuse as to why they make shit decisions.

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM
You have a very valid point. I agree that making poor decisions is inexcusable.

As you pointed out this is more on the macro level. Something we should all be concerned with because it limits, restricts and holds us back from our full potential. Bad decisions aside of course. The road to success should be well paved and easy to transverse. All you need to do is have the drive and ambition to get into the race. The issue today is that the race has been set up to allow only certain people to win an keep others down.

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

While I agree, too many people take this as a reason to have zero personal accountability.

He is right, on a marco level, but on a micro level people must NOT use this as an excuse as to why they make shit decisions.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Carlin was a great comedian - no more, no less.

Outspoken.Mime
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Yep I agree.   For example, there is no reason the PUBLIC schools in one area completely suck wind while those in upscale neighborhoods are awesome.  If we could equalize education, a lot of issues would be solved.

Quoting VoodooVixen: You have a very valid point. I agree that making poor decisions is inexcusable.

As you pointed out this is more on the macro level. Something we should all be concerned with because it limits, restricts and holds us back from our full potential. Bad decisions aside of course. The road to success should be well paved and easy to transverse. All you need to do is have the drive and ambition to get into the race. The issue today is that the race has been set up to allow only certain people to win an keep others down.

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:14 PM

He made wonderful points about issues in our society.  He was relevant and usually spot on with his view on the issues.

Quoting Billiejeens: Carlin was a great comedian - no more, no less.

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You are absolutely right.

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Yep I agree.   For example, there is no reason the PUBLIC schools in one area completely suck wind while those in upscale neighborhoods are awesome.  If we could equalize education, a lot of issues would be solved.

Quoting VoodooVixen: You have a very valid point. I agree that making poor decisions is inexcusable.

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

RIP he was awesome

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)