Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The difference between Progressives and Liberals and why I prefer to acknowledge them.

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM
  • 24 Replies
3 moms liked this

Liberalism is simply a willingness to accept change and a belief that the system as not perfectable but improvable.  An important aspect of liberalism is the belief in personal liberties, strongly supported by the Constitution.

Progressivism, is the belief that people are serfs who need to be herded under government control because they can not make decisions for themselves.   Progressives had to go underground in the 1920's because their beliefs were so unpopular.  They then adapted and perverted the term "liberalism".

Todays idea of liberalism is deeply rooted in the Marxist philosophy.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government."-Thomas Jefferson

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread."-Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson  

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Lmao. Gotta luv those cherry picked quotes. And the asinine analysis
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Excellent analysis.

All quotes are "cherry picked."  Duh.

Quoting -Celestial-: Lmao. Gotta luv those cherry picked quotes. And the asinine analysis

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Can you please provide the source of these quotes?

The Tea Party and their ilk like to take Jefferson out of context or just outright misquote him.

Jefferson was, among other things, a philosopher.

Anyone who justifies their position by using pithy quotes of his out of context are missing the point. That's dangerous.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

The OP hasn't a clue.

Progressive and liberal are buzz words used to fire up the right. Identify with either school of thought and you're branded the enemy.

Have you read any Marxist philosophy, Carpy? Not just the pithy, out of context quotes, but the actual writings? If not, I'd suggest you try it otherwise throwing the term around with no knowledge of what it is makes you look like a programmed sheep who is just tossing out whatever talk radio/internet boards are spewing.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM
5 moms liked this
This post was actually intended for a more intelligent group.

Quoting -Celestial-: Lmao. Gotta luv those cherry picked quotes. And the asinine analysis
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, just the progressive thought.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

The OP hasn't a clue.

Progressive and liberal are buzz words used to fire up the right. Identify with either school of thought and you're branded the enemy.

Have you read any Marxist philosophy, Carpy? Not just the pithy, out of context quotes, but the actual writings? If not, I'd suggest you try it otherwise throwing the term around with no knowledge of what it is makes you look like a programmed sheep who is just tossing out whatever talk radio/internet boards are spewing.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM
4 moms liked this

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

Love this

UpSheRises
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's good to help people understand what progressivism is and why progressive conservatives are just as dangerous as progressive liberals.

People are so uniformed they think democrat, liberal and progressive are all the same. I realize not everyone is lucky enough to have a political science degree but damn...you ought to at least know what you're railing against.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for posting this Carpy. It gets frustrating to always have a lable thrown at me, when I know the label does not fit, or to be told that I do not know what my own personal ideology is and that it must annoy be to be a closet conservative. I mean, how can someone else claim to know whats on my mind when there are times that I don't even know whats going on in there ,lol?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN