Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Couple Shot in Movie Theatre After Man Wouldn't Stop Texting?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM
  • 5 Replies

Couple Shot in Movie Theatre After Man Wouldn't Stop Texting (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

People texting in public places can be annoying. Especially if they're doing it right in front of you at an event you'd like to be paying attention to, and not being distracted by the glowing light of the cell phone in front of you. One person may have died from his texting habit. Two people were shot, one fatally, in a Florida movie theatre after the man behind them reportedly got totally fed up with the texter.

It all started during a screening of Lone Survivor at a Pasco County movie theater when two couples got into an argument over noise and texting. A sheriff explained to Fox 13:

The victim was on his cell phone, he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim. Someone threw a bag of popcorn.

Reportedly, the shooter, identified as Curtis Reeves, left the theatre to look for a manager when he became agitated over the man in front of him texting, but then he came back and the fight escalated. A witness says he heard the victim saying he was texting his young daughter. (The witness thinks he heard the victim say it was his 3-year-old daughter -- is that possible? Do 3-year-olds text now?)

But Reeves was not placated. Then someone threw popcorn and out came the gun. The victim, identified as Chad Olson, was struck in the chest and died. His wife, Nicole, was also hit but survived.

Wow, certainly seems to be easy to bring a gun into a movie theater. Quite disconcerting after the Aurora, Colorado mass killings!

Said the witness, Charles Cummings:

I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie. I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone.

There are those who will say that someone carrying a gun in a theater could have prevented Aurora, but more likely, it's just things like this that happen. People get irritated, frustrated, that quickly turns to rage, and then out comes the gun and your life is over. It's over for the victim; it's over for the shooter.

More From The Stir: Aurora, Colorado Shooting Leaves 4 Dead & a Community Shaken (VIDEO)

This is a stupid little incident that would have been easily forgotten by all parties within a few days. The shooter would have had a funny story to tell his friends, i.e. "This jerk kept texting!" The texter may have thought twice about texting in public in the future -- or not, but someone else would have also called him on his behavior.

Instead, one person is dead. Another injured. And another will spend maybe his life in prison -- if not given the death penalty.

Worth it? No. Keep your guns home. And your cell phones in your pockets.

Have you ever gone overboard when you get annoyed?

Click for the story from FOX13

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM

He should have gotten up and went into the hall to text and the other man should not have acted so violently and shot him. I say collect ALL cell phones and guns before people enter the theatre. big smile miniProblem solved. lol.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Honestly if somebody texting is going to make you go crazy enough to shoot them and their company then you oughta stay home and call your shrink.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM

It was during the previews.  The theaters I have been to lately (which is once every year or so) at least half the theater is online or texting up until the movie starts. 

Obviously this ex cop had some serious issues if he's willing to murder someone over texting during previews!

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I can't see escalating to shouting or throwing things, much less shooting someone.... But cell phone use in public bother me greatly. I don't want to hear peoples' conversations. I would have asked politely 2 times, then I would have gotten up and changed seats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Somebody has some major anger issues. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN