Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Father upset with terms on school’s sexual education poster

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM
  • 41 Replies

Mobile Photo

SHAWNEE, Kan. – A father said if his 13-year-old daughter hadn’t taken a picture of a questionable public poster and shown him, he’d never have known the content. Now that he knows, he’s not happy.

Mark Ellis says his daughter goes to Hocker Grove Middle School in the Shawnee Mission School District. She was so shocked by what she recently saw on a poster at school, that she took a picture of it home and showed her parents.
Her dad initially assumed it was a student prank, until he called the school and found it was part of the curriculum.

“Why would you put it in front of 13-year-old students?” he asked.

He thought the poster, which lists things like “oral sex” and “grinding,” might’ve been a prank until he contacted the school principal. He was told it was a teaching material. But Ellis is now concerned that what’s on this poster is being taught to his daughter in school.

“It upsets me. And again, it goes back to who approved this? You know this had to pass through enough hands that someone should have said, ‘Wait a minute, these are 13-year-old kids, we do not need to be this in-depth with this sexual education type of program,’” he said.

District spokeswoman, Leigh Anne Neal, says the poster needs to be viewed in the context of a bigger curriculum, which she calls abstinence-based for students in middle school.

“The curriculum it is a part of, it aligns with national standards around those topics, and it’s part of our curriculum in the school district,” she said.

But Ellis thinks if that’s the case, the curriculum needs to change.

“This has nothing to do with abstinence or sexual reproduction, actually, a lot of these things,” he said. “I would like to see that this particular portion of the curriculum is removed from the school.”

And if the curriculum doesn’t change, Ellis plans to remove his daughter from the sexual education classes.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/01/14/father-upset-with-terms-on-schools-sexual-education-poster/

Watch the news video at link above.
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Another reason I homeschool.
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Wow. Just wow. This defies common sense.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel old. I graduated in 98. We had a lesson on condoms and took a crying baby doll home.

This is too much for me to comprehend.

Quoting StephanieSH: Wow. Just wow. This defies common sense.
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM
I graduated in 88 and we had a lesson on condoms too but it wasn't until our 10th grade health class

Quoting kcangel63: I feel old. I graduated in 98. We had a lesson on condoms and took a crying baby doll home.

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
But 10th grade is probably too late for that lesson

Quoting StephanieSH: I graduated in 88 and we had a lesson on condoms too but it wasn't until our 10th grade health class

Quoting kcangel63: I feel old. I graduated in 98. We had a lesson on condoms and took a crying baby doll home.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this
It wasn't for me.

In my opinion, 13 is too young to be learning about anal sex.

Quoting StephanieSH: But 10th grade is probably too late for that lesson

Quoting StephanieSH: I graduated in 88 and we had a lesson on condoms too but it wasn't until our 10th grade health class

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM
I meant for the condom lesson. I was so sheltered I don't think I new what anal sex was until college. I was still a virgin In 10th grade but I knew plenty of people who weren't and one who had already had several abortions by 11th grade

Quoting kcangel63: It wasn't for me.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM
I can see the condom lesson. Some of the other stuff is a bit much for that age I think.

Quoting StephanieSH: I meant for the condom lesson. I was so sheltered I don't think I new what anal sex was until college. I was still a virgin In 10th grade but I knew plenty of people who weren't and one who had already had several abortions by 11th grade

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Absolutely

Quoting kcangel63: I can see the condom lesson. Some of the other stuff is a bit much for that age I think.

Quoting StephanieSH: I meant for the condom lesson. I was so sheltered I don't think I new what anal sex was until college. I was still a virgin In 10th grade but I knew plenty of people who weren't and one who had already had several abortions by 11th grade

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Poor guy probably had to be a parent for a few minutes and answer uncomfortable questions. Must have been awful on him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN