Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama suggests racism animates some critics, animated conservative critics freak out

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

Obama suggests racism animates some critics, animated conservative critics freak out

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:32 EST
Barack Obama (AFP)

President Barack Obama predictably angered his critics by suggesting that some of them don’t like him because he’s black.

“There’s no doubt that there’s some folks who just really dislike me because they don’t like the idea of a black President,” Obama said in a 17,000-word profile by The New Yorker’s David Remnick in the magazine’s Jan. 27 issue.

“Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because I’m a black president,” he said.

The article notes that Obama lost among white voters in 2012 by a greater margin than any previous presidential victor in U.S. history and argues that his opponents are generally older white people who feel threatened by demographic changes or overlooked by the government and corporations.

White, working class voters are increasingly turning away from the president, whose approval ratings fell to historic lows late last year.

Conservatives suggested that Obama blamed his drooping approval ratings on racism, but that’s not exactly what he said.

In fact, he goes on to add some historical context to what drives opponents of his policies – particularly his signature Affordable Care Act legislation.

“There is a historic connection between some of the arguments that we have politically and the history of race in our country, and sometimes it’s hard to disentangle those issues,” Obama toldThe New Yorker. “You can be somebody who, for very legitimate reasons, worries about the power of the federal government — that it’s distant, that it’s bureaucratic, that it’s not accountable — and as a consequence you think that more power should reside in the hands of state governments.”

“But what’s also true, obviously, is that philosophy is wrapped up in the history of states’ rights in the context of the civil-rights movement and the Civil War and Calhoun,” the president continued. “There’s a pretty long history there.”

Obama called on his supporters to give greater consideration to arguments presented by his opponents, even if they are steeped in racially fraught language.

“I think it’s important for progressives not to dismiss out of hand arguments against my presidency or the Democratic Party or Bill Clinton or anybody just because there’s some overlap between those criticisms and the criticisms that traditionally were directed against those who were trying to bring about greater equality for African-Americans,” Obama said.

“The flip side is I think it’s important for conservatives to recognize and answer some of the problems that are posed by that history, so that they understand if I am concerned about leaving it up to states to expand Medicaid that it may not simply be because I am this power-hungry guy in Washington who wants to crush states’ rights but, rather, because we are one country and I think it is going to be important for the entire country to make sure that poor folks in Mississippi and not just Massachusetts are healthy,” the president added.

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this

“Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because I’m a black president,” he said.

Confirmation that The Sheild of Blackability does exist.

(you are too kind).

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Cartoon characters who are conservative freaked out?

Which cartoons are those? I've always wondered.

Davey & Goliath for sure.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM
4 moms liked this

Must be some really slow people if they just now figured out he is 1/2 black. 

Nah, I think it's that people are finally figuring out he hasn't been doing such a good job as president and his legacy bill aka ACA is horrendous. 

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Oh please, he should have known that He, of all people, can not mention race. Does this mean he played the race card? And yeah, I'm being bitchy, because the misuse of the word racist has CERTIAN people thinking that they are experts on Race and insist that his election proves that racism is no more and refuse to understand or even contemplate anything else.

Lisa1273
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this

He played the race card.  Lol

Look at his approval rating.  People are waking up to what a joke of a president he really is.  

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:11 AM

I hope that no one thinks that it is the end of Racism - I think a lot of Guilt Ridden White people voted for him the firs time in hopes that we could make progress in that area.

Had he been mildly competent and been someone like Bill Clinton it might have happened.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Oh please, he should have known that He, of all people, can not mention race. Does this mean he played the race card? And yeah, I'm being bitchy, because the misuse of the word racist has CERTIAN people thinking that they are experts on Race and insist that his election proves that racism is no more and refuse to understand or even contemplate anything else.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM
*applause*
MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

(you are too kind).

Maybe alot of black people were scared to death of Romney.Maybe most blacks are also democrats.Its not just because we finally got a black president.

I wouldnt vote for a republican president...even if he were black.Blackability does not see voting against my ideals even if the person was black.

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomTiara19:

Quoting Billiejeens:

(you are too kind).

Maybe alot of black people were scared to death of Romney.Maybe most blacks are also democrats.Its not just because we finally got a black president.

I wouldnt vote for a republican president...even if he were black.Blackability does not see voting against my ideals even if the person was black.

That is why you are irrelevant to politics.

Blacks vote 90% Democrat every time, every time. (except higher for BO)

Nothing the Dems can do to lose you, nothing the Republicans can do to gain you - so no one cares about your vote.

Dems throw you a few scraps, let you sit in the middle of the bus instead of the back, you'll never actually be in the front of any decent bus - because you are irrelevant.

Sad

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

I hope that no one thinks that it is the end of Racism - I think a lot of Guilt Ridden White people voted for him the firs time in hopes that we could make progress in that area.

Had he been mildly competent and been someone like Bill Clinton it might have happened.

Quoting gludwig2000:

So you are saying some white people only voted for Obama out of white guilt??Now you are only being too kind on admitting racism does exist,and can affect how you see president Obama.

Voting for Obama out of white guilt....is just as ignorant as a black person voting for him because he is black.

This is precisely what president Obama is talking about in this article about race.So why are conservatives saying he is playing a race card?He is just speaking the truth about racism in this country.

We all have a different view on race and the election of this president.This is not to say however that a white person actually liked Obama and had nothing to do with his race.One of Obamas biggest fans is my white dad.He is a very smart man and well off.Trust me he doesnt need Obama.He thinks Obama is a good man and president.That is why he voted for him twice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)