Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Father Accidentally Shot Son With Shotgun

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM
  • 11 Replies
An 8-year-old boy is rushed to the hospital after, police say, his own dad accidentally shot him.

The shotgun blast was heard just after 2:00 Friday afternoon inside a home along Turner Avenue, near Cedar and Belmont, in southeast Fresno.

Paramedics quickly loaded the 8-year-old boy and rushed him to the hospital.

Police say the boy's dad was doing some work on the gun and thought he had emptied the chamber when it went off.

Police say luckily only a few pellets from the blast hit the boy.

Officers say the man's wife and other kids were inside the home at the time, but were not hit.

Police say these types of accidents happen far too often.

Fresno Police Sgt. Douglas Zavalla says, "You need to realize that whether a gun is loaded or unloaded it should always be pointed in a safe direction, no matter what."

Besides the shotgun that went off, officers also found about a dozen weapons inside a locked safe. Officers ended up confiscating about 6 rifles and 4 to 5 hand guns.

The weapons will be held just until the investigation is over.

Police say detectives will comb over the evidence, but it will ultimately be up the district attorney's office to file charges.

Officers say if anyone is arrested it could take place in a couple of days.
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cfcf
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:20 AM
You should be required to take a class on the proper handling of a firearm before you can purchase one. How can you not know to never point a gun in someone's direction, loaded or not?
slb235
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Where's the link to this news story?

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

SMH, how sad and careless of the father. I thought the first rule of thumb when cleaning a weapon was to make sure that it wasn't loaded?

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
ALWAYS check to see if it's loaded.

ALWAYS treat a gun like it is.
slb235
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM

The negligence of the father should be punished absolutely.  However, responsible gun owners should not be as a result of stories like this.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Aww these stories always make me so sad. WHat this Dad did was stupid, stupid, stupid... but can you imagine shooting your own child (even if only pellets hit him or whatever)? Knowing that your incompetience left your son needing hospital care and left him with the memory of  his Dad being so reclessness with his safety, that he will never beable to erase from his or his sons head. He really lucked out, that kid could have been very seriously hurt or killed.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I don't own guns but even I know you need to check to see if it is loaded before cleaning it. 

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I was taught to consider all guns to be loaded even when disassembled a for cleaning.

Quoting kcangel63: ALWAYS check to see if it's loaded.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM

It would be a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Quoting slb235:

The negligence of the father should be punished absolutely.  However, responsible gun owners should not be as a result of stories like this.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Even when mine is completely apart I treat it with respect. Just like when handling a knife. You need to respect the power behind it.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

I was taught to consider all guns to be loaded even when disassembled a for cleaning.

Quoting kcangel63: ALWAYS check to see if it's loaded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)