Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feminist Blogger Titles Post: ‘I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry’

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Eds
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Feminist Blogger Titles Post: ‘I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry’

Feminist blogger Amy Glass describes herself on the Thought Catalog as “Powerhouse. Lover of start-ups, big ideas and the future.”

One of her big ideas is pointedly reflected in one of her blog posts titled “I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry.” Not surprisingly, it’s has been generating some attention of late.

Her premise is summed up in this question: “Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself?”

Here’s more:

Having kids and getting married are considered life milestones. We have baby showers and wedding parties as if it’s a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration to be able to get knocked up or find someone to walk down the aisle with. These aren’t accomplishments, they are actually super easy tasks, literally anyone can do them. They are the most common thing, ever, in the history of the world. They are, by definition, average. And here’s the thing, why on earth are we settling for average?

If women can do anything, why are we still content with applauding them for doing nothing?

I want to have a shower for a woman when she backpacks on her own through Asia, gets a promotion, or lands a dream job not when she stays inside the box and does the house and kids thing which is the path of least resistance. The dominate cultural voice will tell you these are things you can do with a husband and kids, but as I’ve written before, that’s a lie. It’s just not reality.

You will never have the time, energy, freedom or mobility to be exceptional if you have a husband and kids.

Some reactions to Glass’ post:

Feminist Blogger Amy Glass Titles Post I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry

Image source: Twitter via Twitchy

Feminist Blogger Amy Glass Titles Post I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry

Disclosure:  Don't babysit my post..just put this out there for news.

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I like Krystle's comment....I have a couple of names for women like this, but I'll stay civil & say bless her heart wink mini

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM
3 moms liked this

I got a promotion.  Where is my party?  Someone please call this chick, and tell her I want my party, NOW. 

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:30 AM

lol you and me both I just recently got promoted as well

high five

Quoting 29again:

I got a promotion.  Where is my party?  Someone please call this chick, and tell her I want my party, NOW. 

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:41 AM
2 moms liked this
She sounds kind of bitter. Maybe her life didn't quite work out the way she envisioned it as a child.

Personally, I'd rather be the sahm I am. I married the month I turned 18. My first dd was born 6 months later. 16 years later we're still married and I'm happy. I've worked part of our marriage. I hated it. I feel more fulfilled schooling my kids. :)
Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM
3 moms liked this

i have posted in the othe rpost about this..but i wanted to add in here...
i HAVE an adul daughter (almost 21) and i DO NOT want her to be a young mother and wife.  i want her live her life, get her life moving in a good direction BEFORE she settles down with a spouse and child/ren.  i want her to be some kind of whole before becoming a part of something else.
that said... i dont look down on young moms and wives... i just hope that they dont forget that they are people too and should be exploring their world and their dreams,,, and i hope thye know that it may be difficult when youre young and married with kids - but it is doable. 

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I wonder what she thinks of the "participation trophy"....
Stephanie329
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this
As a feminist I disagree with her and she shouldn't cal herself " feminist ". Women do not need put downs from other women.

She's probably doing this to generate traffic on her blog. It's probably working.
Stephanie329
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM
This precisely.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i have posted in the othe rpost about this..but i wanted to add in here...
i HAVE an adul daughter (almost 21) and i DO NOT want her to be a young mother and wife.  i want her live her life, get her life moving in a good direction BEFORE she settles down with a spouse and child/ren.  i want her to be some kind of whole before becoming a part of something else.
that said... i dont look down on young moms and wives... i just hope that they dont forget that they are people too and should be exploring their world and their dreams,,, and i hope thye know that it may be difficult when youre young and married with kids - but it is doable. 

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM

She is a typical closed minded Lib.

We need to stop being the least bit surprised by this.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM

She is an idiot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)