Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think this sentence was fair?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  • 35 Replies

Man Who Tricked His Girlfriend Into Abortion Gets What He Deserves

by Kiri Blakeley

A man who tricked his girlfriend into aborting their fetus has been sentenced to 14 years in prison. The man, John Andrew Welden, stole the abortion pill from his father, who was an obstetrician, and gave it to his girlfriend, telling her that tests his father had taken had shown an infection and she needed antibiotics. The "antibiotics" were really Cytotec pills, which induces miscarriage. Remee Jo Lee took one pill, became ill, and miscarried.

It was only while she was in the hospital that her boyfriend, Welden, showed up and admitted he had given her the drug. She was devastated. Welden has expressed remorse saying:

I’ve caused everyone a huge amount of emotional pain. What I’ve done will stay with me every day for the rest of my life.

But I'm seeing many commenters saying that a 14-year sentence is excessive for a 6-week-old fetus -- especially when you consider many people get much lighter sentences (if any at all) for manslaughter cases where already-born adults and children are killed. Take the teen who got off scot-free after killing four people while drunk driving because he had "affluenza" (cough!).

But this was clearly premeditated. Welden felt a baby would inconvenience him. He was also worried his other girlfriend would find out about it -- and simply snuffed out a potentially viable life for his own whim.

More from The Stir: Man Kills His Pregnant Girlfriend Because He Didn't Want Another Baby

This isn't someone who was recklessly negligent -- he went to the trouble of taking the pills, scratching off the label, and handing them to his girlfriend.

I sympathize with anyone who is suddenly faced with the reality of a child before he/she is ready. And yes, a mother does have the choice as to whether or not to abort the fetus. She is the one carrying it after all, and who will give birth to it. She takes 100 percent of the physical risk and has absolutely no guarantee that a man will even stick around to help raise a child.

But a man does not get to trick a woman into an abortion when she wanted to keep that child. The sentence might be a harsh one, but it's fair. And doubtful he will serve it all anyway.

Do you think the sentence was fair?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM

.... doesn't matter. He won't serve it... My guess is he'll end up with 3m to 18m in jail when all is said & done or his side will try to buy the victim off?

Absolutely awful!!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Why should he get any time - it's just a fetus, it's not as if he killed a baby.

momoftwogirl55
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM
That's all he got?
mjmorrison
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM
5 moms liked this

but a woman can do the same thing with no consequence.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Wait, but a woman can go get one even if the father wants the baby and she doesn't go to jail.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Evenstar..
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM

That's awful :-(

MommyMays
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes. I do. He tricked her into putting "poison" in her body and caused her to lose her baby. He could have killed her. It is a possibility she will end up with future fertility or pregnancy problems. And I am sure lots of emotional trauma. It's the same as if somebody stabs their pregnant wife and gets charged with 2 counts of murder.
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Yes. It isn't just the fetal death that is involved. He stole a drug and gave it to someone with no medical supervision or need, in direct conflict with her wishes.

paknari
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Yes it's fair. How is it any different from being beaten in order to cause a miscarriage. It is forced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 3:12 PM

So he should be charged with distributing a controlled substance without a medical licence.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Yes. It isn't just the fetal death that is involved. He stole a drug and gave it to someone with no medical supervision or need, in direct conflict with her wishes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN