Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

MSNBC Host Actually Thinks ‘Iran Was More or Less an American Ally’ Until George Bush Messed It Up

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Eds
  • 21 Replies

MSNBC Host Actually Thinks ‘Iran Was More or Less an American Ally’ Until George Bush Messed It Up

Iran was “more or less an American ally” before former President George W. Bush included the Islamic regime in the “Axis of Evil” along with North Korea and Iraq, MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell claimed on Tuesday.

Bush’s remarks came in a post-9/11 State of the Union speech, which Mitchell argues marked a turning point in U.S. foreign policy.

Andrea Mitchell: Iran Was More or Less an American Ally Before George Bushs Axis of Evil Remark

(Photo: AP)

Washington Post reporter Chris Cillizza agreed that Bush’s speech “turned this country in a direction on foreign policy.”

“Those words, Axis of Evil, I was standing there in Congress and called the control room, I said ‘This is a big deal,’” Mitchell added.

Mitchell went on to criticize former Secretary of State Colin Powell for not focusing enough on the “Axis of Evil” phrase and suggested the words should have been taken out of the State of the Union.

“Up until that moment, Iran was cooperating with the United States on the border of Afghanistan, it was post 9/11, Iran was more or less an American ally,” the MSNBC host said. “But being included in the Axis of Evil, it turned the Iranian government in a completely different direction. And it was a turning point in American politics and foreign policy.”

Critics of the aggressive Iranian regime argue the nation was certainly not an “ally” of the United States prior to the comment. In fact, Mediaite’s Noah Rothman has compiled a list of Americans killed by Iran before 2002.

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Wow, even I know better than that, but this is why if you aren't sure, just keep your mouth shut,lol.

Patti-Gee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Hmm news to me, so what was it when they kidnapped and kept Americans hostage ?  A cute game of Hide and Seek.  

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Quoting gludwig2000:

Wow, even I know better than that, but this is why if you aren't sure, just keep your mouth shut,lol.

I can only shake my head at you.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

What's the saying?

Better to be thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quoting gludwig2000:

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
No it wasn't
cfcf
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this
" Iran was more or less an American ally,” the MSNBC host said.

I'd say less.
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM
he US-Iranian Relationship
From Keith Porter
Dawn of US-Iran Relations:

Iran was once a powerful ally of the United States. During the Cold War, the United States supported, in some cases "propped up," friendly governments as bulwarks against the Soviet Union. And in some of those cases the United States found itself supporting very unpopular, repressive regimes. The Shah of Iran falls into this category.
His government was toppled in 1979 and was eventually replaced by another repressive regime... but this time the leadership was deeply anti-American. The Ayatollah Khomeini became the ruler of Iran. And he gave many Americans their first glimpse of radical Islam.

Hostage Crisis:

When Iranian revolutionaries took over the American Embassy in the Iran, many observers thought it would just be a a short protest... a symbolic act lasting for a few hours or a few days at most. By the time the American hostages were freed 444 days later, President Jimmy Carter had been forced from office, Ronald Reagan had begun his eight year term at the White House, and U.S.-Iranian relations had entered a deep freeze from which there still appears to be no hope of recovery.
USS Vincennes:

In 1988 the USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian commercial flight over the Persian Gulf. 290 Iranians were killed, and the fates of the United States and Iran as mortal enemies seemed to be further sealed.
Iran's Nuclear Dreams:

Today, Iran is openly developing nuclear power capability. They claim this is for peaceful energy purposes, but many are skeptical. And they have been purposefully provocative on whether or not they might use their nuclear capabilities to create weapons.
In a fall 2005 speech to students, Iran's president called for Israel to be wiped off the map. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, abandoning the less-provocative tactics of former president Mohammad Khatami, set himself on collision course with leaders around the world.

A 2007 U.S. government report said Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003.

Outpost of Tyranny AND Axis of Evil:

When Condoleezza Rice appeared at her Senate confirmation hearings to become Secretary of State she said, "To be sure, in our world there remain outposts of tyranny -- and America stands with oppressed people on every continent -- in Cuba, and Burma, and North Korea, and Iran, and Belarus, and Zimbabwe."
Iran, along with North Korea, is one of only two countries to be named both an "Axis of Evil" (in President George Bush's 2002 State of the Union address) AND an "Outpost of Tyranny."

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM
http://usforeignpolicy.about.com/od/countryprofi3/p/usiranprofile.htm
Patti-Gee
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I don't get why she made the comment at all.  She's been around long enough to know.  

Quoting -Celestial-: he US-Iranian Relationship
From Keith Porter
Dawn of US-Iran Relations:

Iran was once a powerful ally of the United States. During the Cold War, the United States supported, in some cases "propped up," friendly governments as bulwarks against the Soviet Union. And in some of those cases the United States found itself supporting very unpopular, repressive regimes. The Shah of Iran falls into this category.
His government was toppled in 1979 and was eventually replaced by another repressive regime... but this time the leadership was deeply anti-American. The Ayatollah Khomeini became the ruler of Iran. And he gave many Americans their first glimpse of radical Islam.

Hostage Crisis:

When Iranian revolutionaries took over the American Embassy in the Iran, many observers thought it would just be a a short protest... a symbolic act lasting for a few hours or a few days at most. By the time the American hostages were freed 444 days later, President Jimmy Carter had been forced from office, Ronald Reagan had begun his eight year term at the White House, and U.S.-Iranian relations had entered a deep freeze from which there still appears to be no hope of recovery.
USS Vincennes:

In 1988 the USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian commercial flight over the Persian Gulf. 290 Iranians were killed, and the fates of the United States and Iran as mortal enemies seemed to be further sealed.
Iran's Nuclear Dreams:

Today, Iran is openly developing nuclear power capability. They claim this is for peaceful energy purposes, but many are skeptical. And they have been purposefully provocative on whether or not they might use their nuclear capabilities to create weapons.
In a fall 2005 speech to students, Iran's president called for Israel to be wiped off the map. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, abandoning the less-provocative tactics of former president Mohammad Khatami, set himself on collision course with leaders around the world.

A 2007 U.S. government report said Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003.

Outpost of Tyranny AND Axis of Evil:

When Condoleezza Rice appeared at her Senate confirmation hearings to become Secretary of State she said, "To be sure, in our world there remain outposts of tyranny -- and America stands with oppressed people on every continent -- in Cuba, and Burma, and North Korea, and Iran, and Belarus, and Zimbabwe."
Iran, along with North Korea, is one of only two countries to be named both an "Axis of Evil" (in President George Bush's 2002 State of the Union address) AND an "Outpost of Tyranny."

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Huh? You puzzle me, because I honestly don't see how you can find any kind of fault with what I said, smh.

Quoting Billiejeens:
Quoting gludwig2000:

I can only shake my head at you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)